Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7

Dear Audiophiles

Well to start off with I am a headphone user who has been using headphones under the sub 200(AUD) price range and have been quite happy. Currently I own a pair of ATH M50s and i quite like them but then I saw the new ATH MSR7 and I thought to myself whether this was the time for me to make the jump into the more premium 300(AUD) plus headphones out there in the market. But I need your help as I dont want to sell of my ATH M50s only to have a pair of headphones marginally better than them.If you guys own or have tried the ATH MSR7 please let me know how they sound and if you could compare them to the sound signature of the ATH M50s. Also if you guys feel there is a better pair from competing brands please make sure to suggest them as well.

Cheers  :)

If you're going for listening experience, you'll want some open headphones, not closed. Closed is for when you're somewhere like a library and you don't want to make any noise. Open has a much wider sound stage, so stereo is going to go on gilded wings.

In any case, have a look at the reviews. See what people are saying about them. Make sure to do your research, because $300 is a lot to drop on headphones any way you slice it.

As far as I can tell, they're just more premium-feeling m50xs. Have a look at some like the 500xs or 700xs. the TAD series has lovely fluffy earcups that don't smash your ears.

The MSR7 is more of a portable headphone than a home use one, it's essentially a very close copy of the MDR-1A.  Sound-wise, it's typical Audio-Technica mid-forward sound that is great with female vocals.  But if you're gonna buy a headphone that's good for that kind of stuff you might as well go for their full-size open back ones anyway.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

If you're going for listening experience, you'll want some open headphones, not closed. Closed is for when you're somewhere like a library and you don't want to make any noise. Open has a much wider sound stage, so stereo is going to go on gilded wings.

In any case, have a look at the reviews. See what people are saying about them. Make sure to do your research, because $300 is a lot to drop on headphones any way you slice it.

The MSR7 is more of a portable headphone than a home use one, it's essentially a very close copy of the MDR-1A.  Sound-wise, it's typical Audio-Technica mid-forward sound that is great with female vocals.  But if you're gonna buy a headphone that's good for that kind of stuff you might as well go for their full-size open back ones anyway.

Hmmm ok then what would u guys suggest as good open ear headphones.

Hmmm ok then what would u guys suggest as good open ear headphones.

Look for some nice Sennheisers, ATs, Beyerdynamics, AKGs, anything that's open-ended. If anything is flashy, ignore it. Any good set of headphones will be more about function than form

That's how Germany works.

Look for some nice Sennheisers, ATs, Beyerdynamics, AKGs, anything that's open-ended. If anything is flashy, ignore it. Any good set of headphones will be more about function than form

That's how Germany works.

Yeah might go with some sennheisers then. Thanks for the suggestions

Yeah might go with some sennheisers then. Thanks for the suggestions

Check out lachlanlikesathing on Youtube.  He's a great headphone reviewer and also lives in Australia, so he can give you more insight on prices down there as well.

Speakers - KEF LSX

Check out lachlanlikesathing on Youtube.  He's a great headphone reviewer and also lives in Australia, so he can give you more insight on prices down there as well.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO... NO.  don't about you but I hate his reviews they are biased and he ends up criticizing anything he uses even if it is good.He should change his channel to lachlanhatesfuckingeverything

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO... NO. don't about you but I hate his reviews they are biased and he ends up criticizing anything he uses even if it is good.He should change his channel to lachlanhatesfuckingeverything

Pretty much the entire Internet disagrees with you. He points out what he thinks are flaws, yes, but he gives most products a thumbs up in the end.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO... NO.  don't about you but I hate his reviews they are biased and he ends up criticizing anything he uses even if it is good.He should change his channel to lachlanhatesfuckingeverything

What...that is the definition of a good reviewer, especially in a very subjective field like audio.  I don't even agree with him like half the time, like how he says the MA900s are better than the AD1000x. I don't like that he thinks the flimsy-ass, overly-warm Sony that is essentially drivers held together by string are better than the very solidly built and airy AD1000x, but I respect that opinion.  I don't see how you can come up with "biased" for your description of him, especially if you don't own the product in question, and if you do...well you have to distance yourself away from your natural biases.

Speakers - KEF LSX

What...that is the definition of a good reviewer, especially in a very subjective field like audio. I don't even agree with him like half the time, like how he says the MA900s are better than the AD1000x. I don't like that he thinks the flimsy-ass, overly-warm Sony that is essentially drivers held together by string are better than the very solidly built and airy AD1000x, but I respect that opinion. I don't see how you can come up with "biased" for your description of him, especially if you don't own the product in question, and if you do...well you have to distance yourself away from your natural biases.

But then again, you're an audio technica fanboy, shearme's an HD650 fanboy and i rave about akg all the time.

OP, it's reviewers job to find something that they feel lacking. Granted, I disagree with his opinions at times but he's a very credible reviewer in the community

But then again, you're an audio technica fanboy, shearme's an HD650 fanboy and i rave about akg all the time.

I feel like the only thing missing from this subforum is a Grado fanboy, there must be someone out there who can fill that role :)

Speakers - KEF LSX

As far as I can tell, they're just more premium-feeling m50xs. Have a look at some like the 500xs or 700xs. the TAD series has lovely fluffy earcups that don't smash your ears.

Trust me, they're different. They're not only premium-feeling, but also have slightly less sub-mid bass, the tightest bass I've ever heard, forward midrange (not like the m50x at all), and the highs are not splashy sounding as some people found it to be. It has better controls of the highs, and if you don't believe me, check this headfier's review.

headfier twister6's review http://www.head-fi.org/products/audio-technica-ath-msr7/reviews/12580

Trust me, they're different. They're not only premium-feeling, but also have slightly less sub-mid bass, the tightest bass I've ever heard, forward midrange (not like the m50x at all), and the highs are not splashy sounding as some people found it to be. It has better controls of the highs, and if you don't believe me, check this headfier's review.

headfier twister6's review http://www.head-fi.org/products/audio-technica-ath-msr7/reviews/12580

I stand corrected :\

You're fine, I would recommend the ath-msr7 for a closed over-ear headphone if he likes somewhat forwarded mids, great treble, and tight but balanced bass. Though this only works for closed headphones and if he wants privacy.

I feel like the only thing missing from this subforum is a Grado fanboy, there must be someone out there who can fill that role :)

Probably you could fine one in logan's forum. Rock and roll fans etc etc. Many grado fans are middle aged or up audiophiles these days. Grado is just too picky in terms of genre