potentially shorted out gpu?

kainobean

ok so i had done a small mod to my 290x's were i widen the hole on the stock refrence cooler and remover the copper heatsink and fins from the base plate so that i could add an aio with a g10 kraken on it and when i did my first card i kinda got metal shavings on the vrm thermal pads so i trashed the thermal pads and instead put a thin sheet of aluminum in its place wiht thermal compound on both sides and now the card isnt being reconized... did putting that aluminum plate between the vrm's and base plate cause a short that shouldnt happen? causing the card to not show up as connected? any info would be nice. i did notice the vrms where metal which is diffrent as i usualy see them as ceramic of some sort so maybe they are being shorted out. but i havent a way to see in there or even get my probe in there to test.

ok so i had done a small mod to my 290x's were i widen the hole on the stock refrence cooler and remover the copper heatsink and fins from the base plate so that i could add an aio with a g10 kraken on it and when i did my first card i kinda got metal shavings on the vrm thermal pads so i trashed the thermal pads and instead put a thin sheet of aluminum in its place wiht thermal compound on both sides and now the card isnt being reconized... did putting that aluminum plate between the vrm's and base plate cause a short that shouldnt happen? causing the card to not show up as connected? any info would be nice. i did notice the vrms where metal which is diffrent as i usualy see them as ceramic of some sort so maybe they are being shorted out. but i havent a way to see in there or even get my probe in there to test.

Ummmm.... first off why use aluminum foil, and it's possible if the aluminum touches the contacts on the VRM modules or anything else on the board. the modules themselves should be of a non conductive plastic based material though.

Ummmm.... first off why use aluminum foil, and it's possible if the aluminum touches the contacts on the VRM modules or anything else on the board. the modules themselves should be of a non conductive plastic based material though.

well i was buying some new thermal pads from frozencpu but seeing as that isnt going to work out i figured id try and fix it the way i always do and use 1mm thick aluminum sheet metal to fill the gap and just use some thermal compound like ic diamond. well i am not sure of any shorts being made and they are only touching the very top of the vrms not any of the pins i am absoultly sure of that as i test fitted it befor had. so un less the tops of the vrms are not suppose to be grounded then thats probaly the issue.   dont anyone say use performance pc for stuff as the site doesnt even work for me and crashes ever five seconds so cant even place an order let alone browse the site... v.v i wish microcenter sold thermal pads like the ones i need...

Conductive things and pcbs don't play well together I'm pretty sure one of my 980s died today thanks to a water cooling leak  :((won't know for sure until tomorrow letting it dry overnight). I would try pulling to foil and trying again with only a non conductive thermal paste maybe you'll get lucky.

I am the one who goes bump in the night... usually making a sandwich.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo White - Motherboard: ASUS X99 Deluxe - CPU: Intel i7 5820k - RAM: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2666mhz ddr4 - GPU: Dual EVGA gtx 980 SSC - PSU: EVGA G2 Supernova 750w - Cooler: Custom PETG Loop on cpu and gpus - Storage: 500gb Samsung 850 evo ssd, 2x Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 3tb hdd

Conductive things and pcbs don't play well together I'm pretty sure one of my 980s died today thanks to a water cooling leak  :((won't know for sure until tomorrow letting it dry overnight). I would try pulling to foil and trying again with only a non conductive thermal paste maybe you'll get lucky.

i tryed doing just a thermal past and the gap is to large and the vrms go to insane temps like 125c then begin to throttle the whole card. so i need somehting that isnt gunna act as an insulator like a glob a thermal paste will... i use ic diamond pretty much exclusivly so i know im always useing non conductive paste...

well i was buying some new thermal pads from frozencpu but seeing as that isnt going to work out i figured id try and fix it the way i always do and use 1mm thick aluminum sheet metal to fill the gap and just use some thermal compound like ic diamond. well i am not sure of any shorts being made and they are only touching the very top of the vrms not any of the pins i am absoultly sure of that as i test fitted it befor had. so un less the tops of the vrms are not suppose to be grounded then thats probaly the issue.   dont anyone say use performance pc for stuff as the site doesnt even work for me and crashes ever five seconds so cant even place an order let alone browse the site... v.v i wish microcenter sold thermal pads like the ones i need...

Hmm rigid aluminum is slightly better but not by much since it can still hit some things around it possible but the VRM shouldn't mind being grounded, since the material they encase those modules in are non-conductive unless the aluminum made contact to some metal topped capacitors then I'm not too sure. I would wait and test again with the new thermal pads and try then and just hope nothing is wrong.

Just a tip if it doesn't work at all and you want to try one last thing before calling it a loss you can try doing a 99% isoproyl alcohol bath to try and remove any contaminates on the PCB that may be casing extra resistance or a short, for that you'd want to remove the cooler.

Just a tip if it doesn't work at all and you want to try one last thing before calling it a loss you can try doing a 99% isoproyl alcohol bath to try and remove any contaminates on the PCB that may be casing extra resistance or a short, for that you'd want to remove the cooler.

Yeah I have the cooler off and a fan blowing on it right now I wiped the pcb with 99% alcohol already once but I will try that if I have to.

I am the one who goes bump in the night... usually making a sandwich.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo White - Motherboard: ASUS X99 Deluxe - CPU: Intel i7 5820k - RAM: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2666mhz ddr4 - GPU: Dual EVGA gtx 980 SSC - PSU: EVGA G2 Supernova 750w - Cooler: Custom PETG Loop on cpu and gpus - Storage: 500gb Samsung 850 evo ssd, 2x Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 3tb hdd

Hmm rigid aluminum is slightly better but not by much since it can still hit some things around it possible but the VRM shouldn't mind being grounded, since the material they encase those modules in are non-conductive unless the aluminum made contact to some metal topped capacitors then I'm not too sure. I would wait and test again with the new thermal pads and try then and just hope nothing is wrong.

yeah i wish i could say the thermal pads wherew coming but sadly they most likly arent... since they where ordered from frozencpu 2 days befor the crap went down over there... thats why i decided to try making my own.

but i did remove it and just globed on some thermal paste to try and bridge the rather large 1mm gap there is but its not enough to keep the vrms cool during load but the card still boots up and works...

im going to try performance-pc.com again and hope i can make it threw their website without it giving me too many connection error and not loading... just so i can get these thermal pads.. not even gunna try to get all the stuff i want yet not untill frozencpu comes back up if ever it does...

yeah i wish i could say the thermal pads wherew coming but sadly they most likly arent... since they where ordered from frozencpu 2 days befor the crap went down over there... thats why i decided to try making my own.

but i did remove it and just globed on some thermal paste to try and bridge the rather large 1mm gap there is but its not enough to keep the vrms cool during load but the card still boots up and works...

im going to try performance-pc.com again and hope i can make it threw their website without it giving me too many connection error and not loading... just so i can get these thermal pads.. not even gunna try to get all the stuff i want yet not untill frozencpu comes back up if ever it does...

Have you tried Amazon they have a decent selection of thermal pads, just be sure ot check the thickness:

http://www.amazon.com/Thermal-Pad-Ultra-5mm-120x20mm/dp/B004230RPY/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1424155519&sr=8-8&

Have you tried Amazon they have a decent selection of thermal pads, just be sure ot check the thickness:

http://www.amazon.com/Thermal-Pad-Ultra-5mm-120x20mm/dp/B004230RPY/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1424155519&sr=8-8&

i looked on amazon and they only have ones that are 5w/mk and i dont believe that is a strong enough pad to cool the vrms expecialy when i overclock the card and draw about 400watts into those vrms... i was trying to find the fujipoly 17w/mk pads the ultra extreme ones

i guess it dont hurt to buy them and try them out