CrossFire vs. New card

Dirt113

I'm currently using 1 R9 270X to drive a 1440p display. Will another R9 270/270X with CrossFire get more performance, or should I just buy an R9 290/280X and use my current card to power my second monitor (which is currently powered by the APU)

[Please do not recommend me NVIDIA cards, because they're more expensive than their AMD counterpart in my country]

CPU: AMD A10-6800K Cooler: Deepcool Gamer Storm Captain 120 GPU: Radeon R9 270X Cooler: Sapphire Dual-X Air-Cooler Mobo: Gigabyte F2A88X-D3H RAM: 1600MHz Samsung 8GB (4GB x2) SSD: ADATA SP900 128GB Storage: Seagate SSHD 1TB Case: Corsair Graphite 230T

Planned Upgrades: Some better RAM kit, NXZT H440 Black Windowed (I RLY WANT DIS), Dream-PC PCPartPicker URL: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jMTHK8

How much VRAM does your 270x have?

2GB (GDDR5)

BTW, I understand that CrossFire/SLI does not increase VRAM

CPU: AMD A10-6800K Cooler: Deepcool Gamer Storm Captain 120 GPU: Radeon R9 270X Cooler: Sapphire Dual-X Air-Cooler Mobo: Gigabyte F2A88X-D3H RAM: 1600MHz Samsung 8GB (4GB x2) SSD: ADATA SP900 128GB Storage: Seagate SSHD 1TB Case: Corsair Graphite 230T

Planned Upgrades: Some better RAM kit, NXZT H440 Black Windowed (I RLY WANT DIS), Dream-PC PCPartPicker URL: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jMTHK8

2GB (GDDR5)

Good to know you understand that.

I think a higher end card would be better. Get a 290 and overclock it some?

Sig under construction.

what do you play?

Minecraft with SUES-MotionBlur

But I'm planning to get some FPS that has a CrossFire profile

YET

YET?

Minecraft with SUES-MotionBlur

But I'm planning to get some FPS that has a CrossFire profile

Didn't realize you were playing Minecraft with shaders. Minecraft doesn't benefit from CrossFire AFAIK

Sig under construction.

I'm currently using 1 R9 270X to drive a 1440p display. Will another R9 270/270X with CrossFire get more performance, or should I just buy an R9 290/280X and use my current card to power my second monitor (which is currently powered by the APU)

[Please do not recommend me NVIDIA cards, because they're more expensive than their AMD counterpart in my country]

On a 1440p monitor you should go with a 280x/290 just for the VRAM issue. 2GBs is just not going to cut it on that resolution if you ask me and even if you buy the second  270 you are probably going to run games on higher FPS, the VRAM will not be enough to pump the details and filters to high/ultra.

YET?

Rumours of AMD finding a way to increase vram with crossfire.

I don't know much about it but says you had dual 270x, you would get 4GB instead of 2GB. Which is great for mid range crossfire.

Pretty useless for people with 290/x but extremely useful for people like you.

I don't know much about it but says you had dual 270x, you would get 4GB instead of 2GB. Which is great for mid range crossfire.

Yeah, quad 290X 8GB cards for 32GB VRAM O_O

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

thx for the news :)

Quad R9 295x2s = 32GB VRAM

Doesnt work that way

U can only use dual 295X2s to give u 16GB 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

It's already a dual card so you can only run two of them at once.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Quisque euismod suscipit est, non placerat turpis vestibulum sed. Phasellus et faucibus odio. Donec a nisi at purus porttitor ullamcorper auctor a nibh. Integer id neque a nisi laoreet ultrices id ac augue. Nulla facilisi. Nullam purus elit, dictum quis euismod vitae, mollis non dui. Morbi vehicula neque eu mattis bibendum. Curabitur sed odio tortor. Sed euismod mi in diam volutpat, vitae convallis ipsum mattis. Praesent eleifend faucibus pulvinar. Interdum et malesuada fames ac ante ipsum primis in faucibus. Vestibulum velit nunc, fermentum a libero a, venenatis tempus lectus.

It's already a dual card so you can only run two of them at once.

Just saying xD

Just saying xD

post-163060-0-77801200-1424091781.jpg

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Quisque euismod suscipit est, non placerat turpis vestibulum sed. Phasellus et faucibus odio. Donec a nisi at purus porttitor ullamcorper auctor a nibh. Integer id neque a nisi laoreet ultrices id ac augue. Nulla facilisi. Nullam purus elit, dictum quis euismod vitae, mollis non dui. Morbi vehicula neque eu mattis bibendum. Curabitur sed odio tortor. Sed euismod mi in diam volutpat, vitae convallis ipsum mattis. Praesent eleifend faucibus pulvinar. Interdum et malesuada fames ac ante ipsum primis in faucibus. Vestibulum velit nunc, fermentum a libero a, venenatis tempus lectus.

The only useful purpose for that is mining, since the extra cards wll go to waste in gaming 

Good luck Mining :D

2GB (GDDR5)

Either get a 290X or wait for AMD's 3xx series to come out. They're supposed to kick ass.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

Either get a 290X or wait for AMD's 3xx series to come out. They're supposed to kick ass.

Yeah, HBM and am AIO watercooler integrated on the card 

Would be a nail in the coffin of the extortionate 8GB 290Xs though. And I'd be interested to see how 4K eyefinity in a game like Tomb Raider that can actually use 4 GPUs effectively would do if given stackable vram.

I'd be really interested in that, actually. Someone should make a Tomb Raider 4K surround/Eyefinity video.

Would be a nail in the coffin of the extortionate 8GB 290Xs though. And I'd be interested to see how 4K eyefinity in a game like Tomb Raider that can actually use 4 GPUs effectively would do if given stackable vram.

I'd be really interested in that, actually. Someone should make a Tomb Raider 4K surround/Eyefinity video.

32GB of that tasty VRAM