NAS Build (FreeNAS)

ili199

I am planing a build for a home server. I am planing to put FreeNAS on it.

My dad has a lot of old video cassettes from when he worked for TV. (And with a lot I mean a lot about 300 120 min tapes)

But I have a few questions

1. In Linus his video about there 48TB NAS he said you need ECC ram but i can't find anything about that on there site. So do I need ECC RAM?

Video about the 48TB NAS

2. Can you use a capture card with FreeNAS so he can record his tapes directly to the NAS? If it doesn't is it worth to just get windows?(I have a licence already)

3. How much storage do we need? The storage for other stuff like photo's and E-Mail is about 750GB.

4. What RAID should I use?

5. What is a good capture card that can capture analog video?

6. And what to you think about this build?

The G3258 is my old CPU so it would be nice to use that. The price does not mater it has to be as cheap as possible while not being bad.

The case I could not find on PCPartPicker but it has to be this one because we need the 19" rack compatibility.

The SSD is only for the OS.

My location is Holland

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ctmjgs
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ctmjgs/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($68.98 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock H87M Pro4/ASM Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($89.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($64.88 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 60GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($43.99 @ NCIX US) 
Storage: Seagate NAS HDD 4TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($169.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate NAS HDD 4TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($169.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($34.00 @ Newegg) 
Other: Inter-Tech IPC 4088 
Total: $641.82

you stole my profile picture

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

If it's just a home server and there is no extremely important data on here, I don't think you need ECC memory. Also, FreeNAS is based on FreeBSD so I don't think your capture card will work­, I suggest just using the capture card on a Windows machine then dumping everything in the NAS. The build looks good. Not sure about what capture card you should use though.

CPU: i5-6600k @ 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming | RAM: 8GB HyperX Fury | GPU: Asus Strix GTX 980 | Case: NZXT Noctis 450 Red/Black | Storage: 256GB Sandisk SSD + 1TB Western Digital HDD | PSU: EVGA 750w | Monitor: ASUS VS247H | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Keyboard: $15 Cheapo Rubber Dome Keyboard | Mouse: Rosewill RGM-300

Linus Tech Tips Pebble (and Pebble Time) notifier watchface!

1. You should check out this discussion.

3. You only need 750GB? Two 2-4TB disks in a mirror sounds sufficient to me. You could go with some cloud storage service for backup.

you stole my profile picture

I found it on 9gag and I think it is funny and you seem to think so to ;)

If it's just a home server and there is no extremely important data on here, I don't think you need ECC memory. Also, FreeNAS is based on FreeBSD so I don't think your capture card will work­, I suggest just using the capture card on a Windows machine then dumping everything in the NAS. The build looks good. Not sure about what capture card you should use though.

Thanks for the help

1. You should check out this discussion.

3. You only need 750GB? Two 2-4TB disks in a mirror sounds sufficient to me. You could go with some cloud storage service for backup.

Thanks, and the 750GB are al pictures we have starting at +/- 2003 and other random stuff. My father does not like to trow away stuff on his PC "because you might need it..."