What are some of your console horror stories?

So I got to play Black Ops 2 today on PS3 on a 70" TV, and my God it was terrible.

There was easily 200+ms lag between the controller and what happened on screen. Maybe even 500ms. That's not even considering lag on the internet. It was just so terrible. I felt handicapped, drunk, high, or all of it combined.

PC master race. Or at least console with a decent TV. Ugh, it was just so terrible.

What are some of your "horror stories" when it comes to playing consoles in terrible conditions, whether those conditions be bad internet, bad peripherals, or just bad situations in general?

Because mine was awful. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Playing Halo 4 on my friends Xbox. It was going smoothly and all until FPS drop then i was wonder how the hell is that possible? Until a host transfer. I was amazed by how internet affects your FPS aswell

Playing Skyrim on a 360. The environments were so grainy and fuzzy it made me want to kill myself

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

The lag must have been caused by the display not the PS3. i own one and it has 100% 0 input lag on my plasma.

Yes, it was without a doubt. I own a PS3 myself and never experience it on my own TV.

Playing Halo 4 on my friends Xbox. It was going smoothly and all until FPS drop then i was wonder how the hell is that possible? Until a host transfer. I was amazed by how internet affects your FPS aswell

Yep, that's terrible. I don't play Halo for that reason. Not that Halo is special or different in regards to networking, but I've always had bad luck with it.

Playing Skyrim on a 360. The environments were so grainy and fuzzy it made me want to kill myself

It feels like my glasses have grit on them when I play games. Just no.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

How my xbox 360 sounds like a jet engine.

Hardware: | CPU: i5 3570k | Graphics: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Mobo: MSI z77a-G45 Gaming | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit | 

Peripherals: Logitech G502 | CM Storm Quickfire Pro (Red switch) |

How my xbox 360 sounds like a jet engine.

Lol! That's the reason I even bought the slim when I came out. The thing was so fucking loud, I had to be cautious my father didn't hear me past my curfew

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

gaming on a 70 inch TV? holy fuck

BLAOW!!!!

Playing on someone else's controller with the rubbers of the analog sticks worn off. That's a terrible feeling.  :wacko:

A grubby controller isn't nice. @Vitaluis Using HDMI instead on component cable can help on some televisions to reduce delay. There's no converting the analogue signal to process. Other things like noise reduction should also be turned off.

The FPS on Halo 4 does take a hit from time to time during online gameplay. It is really annoying when you're in a fire fight but the game is running at 15 FPS.

The lag must have been caused by the display not the PS3. i own one and it has 100% 0 input lag on my plasma.

Every TV I've used has a high amount of input lag. Then again, that's coming from someone who uses a 120Hz monitor frequently... but the point is that even my monitor, nevermind a TV, has more than "0 input lag".

Does Red Ring of Death count? If not then I guess another gripe is why my Xbox 360 insists on spinning the disc for a good 5 minutes (even with game installed to HDD). Sometimes the disc will also randomly spin when I power off the system, its freaking annoying and I see no reason why the Xbox thinks is a good idea to start spinning when I power off.

Anyone else have that issue?

PS: I have Xbox 360 Slim right now.

Project Tank

CPU: Intel i5 4670k :: Motherboard: Asus Z87 Pro :: RAM: 2x4GB Patroit 1866Mhz Intel Extreme Masters Edition :: GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 280X :: Case: Fractal Design Define R2 XL :: Storage: 1TB Western Digital Black,3TB Western Digital Green, 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD :: PSU: XFX Pro Series Black Edition 850W :: Display(s): LG 23EA63V :: Cooling: Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler.

Bought an xbox 360 for dynasty warriors 7... Turns out it ran at 24 fps... Sold it and bought a Ps3 and another Dynasty Warriors 7... It ran at 24 fps also. Funny thing is dynasty warriors 3,4,5 ran 30+ on Ps2...

Playing on someone else's controller with the rubbers of the analog sticks worn off. That's a terrible feeling.  :wacko:

That's also what I was doing. It was just terrible all around. Good food though. lol

† Christian Member †

I still have and played Nintendo's Virtual Boy...

Current Rig: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus GTX 970 Turbo, Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8 GB DDR-3 1600 (2x4GB), Sandisk 120 GB SSD + Seagate 500 GB HDD + WD Blue 1 TB HDD, XFX 750W Black Edition, Corsair 350D - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/cbxrxr

another gripe is why my Xbox 360 insists on spinning the disc for a good 5 minutes (even with game installed to HDD)

More recent Xbox 360 games will spin in the drive for a while because the Xbox is performing security checks on the disc. I don't know about the games still spinning when you turn it off. Have you tried turning off background downloads in the settings?

Every TV I've used has a high amount of input lag. Then again, that's coming from someone who uses a 120Hz monitor frequently... but the point is that even my monitor, nevermind a TV, has more than "0 input lag".

My plasma has 0 input lag the panel runs at 600hz but i can only have a 60hz input. the panel itself doesn't lag tho only the input form whatever device is connected.

Anytime I go to blighttown in Dark Souls on anything other than my computer...

Frame rate drop is horrible...

I would complain about the heat my xbox puts out but since I've cut a hole in the side of it and attached a 120mm fan it runs great  :rolleyes:

Playing Battlefield in Grand Bazaar on a 42 inch 1080p TV. The frame rate drops and eventually freezes the game (On a 360). The picture quality is terrible, When I play some things when it's night time the TV creates multiple pictures (that are faded) while moving in the dark. Luckily I'm getting an achieva shimian q2700 and getting a VGA to HDMI adapter so I can play on my desk and hopefully these problems will go away. Whenever there is a sign on a show, it shows the pixels that make up the sign.

"You Can't Buy Happiness, But You Can Buy Horsepower, And That's Kind of The Same Thing."

My plasma has 0 input lag the panel runs at 600hz but i can only have a 60hz input. the panel itself doesn't lag tho only the input form whatever device is connected.

It's not "true" 600Hz, though. The processing required to add those extra frames actually drastically affects input lag.

The closest panel to having 0 input lag I've tried would be a 144Hz TN panel, and trust me, it's much more responsive.

xbox 360 rrod 

This is my Lightsaber.          {[=]////]"[¬'/\Y/#####################################
This is my other Lightsaber. (T!!!!!!!T=:"|[\#####################################  #killedmywife 

This isn't a horror story regarding the console so much as it is what happened to it.

My GameCube was sitting on top of the entertainment center. Some kids were running around, playing, and one of them tripped over a wire making the GameCube fall onto a hardwood floor. I turned it on to see if it still worked, it did, everything was fine. So, I go outside for something (I don't remember what), come back in and our dog is pissing on my GameCube. I clean it, try to turn it on and the damn thing won't start. Such a sad day.

I was playing GTA 4, paused and went downstairs for a drink. I saw that my little brother was playing GTA 4 also on his Xbox. So naturally I picked up the controller and had a mess around (I came from the Xbox to PC last year) and my god. I could barely play, the settings were all turned way down and when I ran into a barricade of police cars the game sat there choking, running at 10 or so FPS.

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS

getting an xbox for my birthday and then having to use it... 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler