Kingston SSDNow V300 <200 MB/s write after 6 TB lifetime writes?

Formhault
Go to solution Solved by Godlygamer23,

What capacity is your SSD? Anandtech's review shows that on Desktop Iometer, the 120GB SSD gets 171.5MB/s when it comes to incompressible data.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6733/kingston-ssdnow-v300-review/2

So, I've got this SSD... which I've used in my old PC (on SATA2, just to make it go faster until I bought a new PC - which I did just a few days ago) since November 2013. SSDLife shows 15 TB lifetime reads and 6.5 TB lifetime writes.

I've used CrystalDiskMark and AS SSD Benchmark to test both the SSD and my brand new Western Digital Blue 1TB drive.

Results for the SSD : ~400 MB/s sequential read and 160 ~ 180 MB/s sequential write.

Results for the HDD : ~200 MB/s sequential read and ~180 MB/s sequential write.

Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 Rev4.

CPU : AMD FX-6300.

RAM : 8 GB HyerX @ 1866 MHz.

Aren't those results a bit too low? I just updated the SSD's firmware via Kingston's official upgrade tool, for what it's worth. The drive should have ~500 MB/s read/write speeds, and mine are worse than half :\

What capacity is your SSD? Anandtech's review shows that on Desktop Iometer, the 120GB SSD gets 171.5MB/s when it comes to incompressible data.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6733/kingston-ssdnow-v300-review/2

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

So, I've got this SSD... which I've used in my old PC (on SATA2, just to make it go faster until I bought a new PC - which I did just a few days ago) since November 2013. SSDLife shows 15 TB lifetime reads and 6.5 TB lifetime writes.

I've used CrystalDiskMark and AS SSD Benchmark to test both the SSD and my brand new Western Digital Blue 1TB drive.

Results for the SSD : ~400 MB/s sequential read and 160 ~ 180 MB/s sequential write.

Results for the HDD : ~200 MB/s sequential read and ~180 MB/s sequential write.

Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 Rev4.

CPU : AMD FX-6300.

RAM : 8 GB HyerX @ 1866 MHz.

Aren't those results a bit too low? I just updated the SSD's firmware via Kingston's official upgrade tool, for what it's worth. The drive should have ~500 MB/s read/write speeds, and mine are worse than half :\

~400/200 looks about right to me.

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/5254/kingston-ssdnow-v300-120gb-ssd-review/index8.html

The drive should have ~500 MB/s read/write speeds, and mine are worse than half :\

thats marketing with incompressible data

A LOT of early SSD's used the fastest read and write speeds on their packaging, but the drives would only do that speed in certain situations.

Compressible vs incompressible data.................... had two different speeds read and write on these cheaper flash devices.

/Marketed misleading information

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

http://www.kingston.com/en/ssd/v#sv300s3

click on specifications

Lol. 120GB — 180MB/s Read and 133MB/s Write. That's... lower than the speeds I got, haha...

Okay, so I've fallen to their marketing. Shame on me... I usually don't :D.

The HDD I got is better than this SSD when it comes to write?! The read is 200 MB/s (vs. 400 MB/s)... :|

I mean I think I could split my 1TB HDD into two partitions and install Windows on one (like in the old days) and be done with it. Or... wait for a promo on something like a Samsung 840 EVO next Black Friday and put this Kingston back in my old system (which is gonna end up in my parents' room anyway).

A LOT of early SSD's used the fastest read and write speeds on their packaging, but the drives would only do that speed in certain situations.

Compressible vs incompressible data.................... had two different speeds read and write on these cheaper flash devices.

/Marketed misleading information

I paid like 65 USD back in November 2013. The same SSD is 65 USD now, on usual weekly promo (no Black Fu**riday).

Well, the SSD did good. 90 MB/s write and 150 MB/s read on SATA2... made my old system fly for more than 1 year until I put this new system together.

The good thing about this SSD is that Hard Disk Sentinel says "Estimated remaining lifetime : more than 1000 days" and SSDLife says it's gonna last me until March 7, 2024. At least it won't die anytime soon :D or within the next 7 years at least.

Well, the SSD did good. 90 MB/s write and 150 MB/s read on SATA2... made my old system fly for more than 1 year until I put this new system together.

My older OCZ Agility 3 was rated 550/500 on the package.

Only does 210/110 actually...

(AS-SSD benchmark) is good for finding out the real rated speed.

Still quite fast (drive access times) and my mums machine boots with it just as fast as my Samsung 840 Pro in my machine.

For what they are,... their good enough.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

My older OCZ Agility 3 was rated 550/500 on the package.

Only does 210/110 actually...

(AS-SSD benchmark) is good for finding out the real rated speed.

Still quite fast (drive access times) and my mums machine boots with it just as fast as my Samsung 840 Pro in my machine.

For what they are,... their good enough.

Indeed.

Oh and the tests I did were for sequential only.

I just did random 512KB and the SSD got like 380 MB/s write and 180 MB/s read while the HDD got like 70 MB/s read and 176 MB/s write, lol.