When I put the PC to sleep, it sort of dies...

Go to solution Solved by RedRound2,

That's not sleep rather hibernate. I presume you click the power button to go to sleep

Sleep: Turns most of the system off, except the RAM for preserving whatever you were doing

Hibernate: Dumps everything that's on the RAM to the OS drive and basically shuts down

Okay, so. It's me again. With my brand new PC... about which I some times feel like returning all the parts and buying a laptop (but then I remember "oh wait, it's expensive")...

So. I've slapped Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on it - the same OS I've been using on my old PC for about 2 years without any problems.

I put the PC to sleep, it dies. The power LED isn't blinking (as it was on the previous PC / as it does on my mom's laptop and my girlfriend's Sony Vaio laptop)... and I can't turn it back on by pressing the power button. I need to cut power for like 3~5 seconds before being able to turn it back on (then it goes to Resuming Windows).

I have a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 motherboard (Rev4.0). Up until yesterday, I thought it's the BIOS : I disabled the HPET option and realised it sleeps good. Now, 12 hours after, IT DOESN'T.

Any ideas, anyone? :(

That's not sleep rather hibernate. I presume you click the power button to go to sleep

Sleep: Turns most of the system off, except the RAM for preserving whatever you were doing

Hibernate: Dumps everything that's on the RAM to the OS drive and basically shuts down

If it says "Resuming windows" That means that it goes into Hibernation mode. You can have it not do that if you don't want it to.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

I put the PC to sleep via the same way I put my old PC to sleep, and the other two laptops I have access to - Start button -> Shut down arrow to extend the menu -> Sleep.

Well, on the laptops, I made it so the power button does the "Sleep" command instead of "Power off'. The same thing I did on my old PC, actually. It's basically like pressing "Sleep" anyway...

So it's sleep, not hibernate. :\

If it says "Resuming windows" That means that it goes into Hibernation mode. You can have it not do that if you don't want it to.

Huh? Woah. Okay. How do I make it so that it goes to actual sleep (not hibernation) when I press the "Sleep" button? :)

EDIT : Nevermind. I did it myself (should have Googled first). Cmd -> powercfg -h off. Okay.

Now the PC goes to sleep in like 1 second. But one second later, it wakes back up all by itself... :\

Huh? Woah. Okay. How do I make it so that it goes to actual sleep (not hibernation) when I press the "Sleep" button? :)

EDIT : Nevermind. I did it myself (should have Googled first). Cmd -> powercfg -h off. Okay.

Now the PC goes to sleep in like 1 second. But one second later, it wakes back up all by itself... :\

Go into your start menu, then click control panel -> hardware and sound -> power options -> change plan settings -> change advanced power settings then scroll down to sleep and a sub menu will come out and then change "hibernate after" and set it to "never". and there you go.  ^_^

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

Yeaah, I've always had that problem. Some peripheral wakes it up

You can still go through the power options menu like i said and change your sleep timer there too. if you want.

Spoiler

-

You can still go through the power options menu like i said and change your sleep timer there too. if you want.

I've set that timer to never, because I use Simple Shutdown Timer to put the computer to sleep (or shut down). When I put it to sleep, it's because I'm setting a task to wake it up and run Winamp to wake me up at 9 AM or something, you know...

Yeaah, I've always had that problem. Some peripheral wakes it up

I got "Power on Keyboard" enabled ("any key") just so I can turn the computer on without getting out of my bed (say, I need it fully operational before I get back from the bathroom and can't wait 15 seconds lol).

But that's not it.

I went in Device Manager and changed the "Advanced" properties for the LAN driver. Disabled "Wake on Magic Packet" and "Wake on pattern match" and it seems to sleep like a baby now (I mean wake up as it should, lol). Hmm...