HDMI or Displayport

Go to solution Solved by Glenwing,

If you're using a TV which only has HDMI, then there's no difference. A DisplayPort to HDMI adapter will just output plain HDMI signals, you won't get any benefits of DisplayPort unless it's an end-to-end DP connection.

Most TVs are only capable of showing 60 individual frames per second. Even "120Hz" or "240Hz" TVs are only 60Hz in reality in most cases. Unless you get a 120/144Hz monitor you won't be seeing over 60fps in anything.

1. Yes, they are different shapes and aren't interchangeable

2. HDMI cables don't have revisions, and neither do DisplayPort cables.

3. DisplayPort is "better" in the sense that it supports higher configurations, it has higher bandwidth to support higher resolutions and refresh frequencies, but it doesn't really matter. In configurations that they can both support, like 1080p 60Hz, they're both identical. In higher configurations like 4K 60Hz, DisplayPort is your only option (pre HDMI 2.0, which most 4K displays still are) so it doesn't really matter anyway.

4. Like I said, DisplayPort to HDMI cables will limit you to the limits of HDMI, sending HDMI signals from a DisplayPort output won't magically give you capabilities beyond the HDMI specification.

5. Depends on the TV, although in general TVs have higher latency than monitors.

Ok, so im getting a new computer soon and im getting an Asus 980 strix edition. I dont know whether i should use HDMI or Displayport and im still a little confused by these two. So i have some questions that i was hoping someone could answer for me. 1: Hdmi and Displayport are not the same and cannot be plugged in one anothers ports? 2: How can you tell what version of Hdmi chords i have? 3: Be straight with me doc... which is better Diplayport or Hdmi, considering theres 3 Diplayport ports on my 980 and 1 Hdmi port i would figure Diplayport would be better if theres more of them. 4: I am using a decent sized TV and it doesnt have any diplayports on it will this affect the performance if i get a diplayport to Hdmi port. 5: Is it ok if i use a 60hz Tv to play games on? And will i be able to play games at a higher than 60 fps cause i would like to play games like battlefield 4 on more than 60 fps.

CPUi7 4790k (4.0 Ghz)| MotherboardMSI Z97 Gaming-5 ATX LGA1150| RAM: 16 Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro(DDR3-1600, Red 4x4Gb)GPUEVGA GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0| CaseFractal Design Define R5 (Black with Window)| StorageWestern Digital Caviar Blue 1TB and Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD| PSUCorsair HX750i 80+ Platinum| Display(s) Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" CoolingCorsair H100i GTX| Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB| MouseRazer Deathadder Chroma|

HDMI was designed primarily for consumer-electronics applications: Blu-ray players, TVs, video projectors, etc.

Better desktop displays, desktop PCs, and all-in-one PCs will support DisplayPort in addition to HDMI. Laptops, however, have less space available for connectors. For the most part, consumer laptops will provide HDMI, while business-oriented models will support DisplayPort.

I am going with HDMI.

(NOW)War Horse:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 8GB 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI R7790 | Case: Dazumba D-Vito 903 | HDD 1 & 2: Seagate 1TB and Seagate 500GB | PSU: Corsair CX600
(WAS)Old Coop:
CPU: Intel C2D E7500 | Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L | RAM: V-Gen 4GB Dual Channel | GPU: Galaxy GT210 | Case: Power-Up ??? | HDD: Seagate 500GB | PSU: Power-up 500W

MyAnimeList Profile | Heaven Society | HEIL THE MIGHTY AND POWERFUL LINUS | My Blog 'Unfinished Pieces' | Code of Conduct

Ok, so im getting a new computer soon and im getting an Asus 980 strix edition. I dont know whether i should use HDMI or Displayport and im still a little confused by these two. So i have some questions that i was hoping someone could answer for me. 1: Hdmi and Displayport are not the same and cannot be plugged in one anothers ports? 2: How can you tell what version of Hdmi chords i have? 3: Be straight with me doc... which is better Diplayport or Hdmi, considering theres 3 Diplayport ports on my 980 and 1 Hdmi port i would figure Diplayport would be better if theres more of them. 4: I am using a decent sized TV and it doesnt have any diplayports on it will this affect the performance if i get a diplayport to Hdmi port. 5: Is it ok if i use a 60hz Tv to play games on? And will i be able to play games at a higher than 60 fps cause i would like to play games like battlefield 4 on more than 60 fps.

1. Don't get 980 Strix, get EVGA or Gigabyte

2. At 1080p/1440p it doesn't matter. At 4K, use DP

"Rawr XD"

If you're using a TV which only has HDMI, then there's no difference. A DisplayPort to HDMI adapter will just output plain HDMI signals, you won't get any benefits of DisplayPort unless it's an end-to-end DP connection.

Most TVs are only capable of showing 60 individual frames per second. Even "120Hz" or "240Hz" TVs are only 60Hz in reality in most cases. Unless you get a 120/144Hz monitor you won't be seeing over 60fps in anything.

1. Yes, they are different shapes and aren't interchangeable

2. HDMI cables don't have revisions, and neither do DisplayPort cables.

3. DisplayPort is "better" in the sense that it supports higher configurations, it has higher bandwidth to support higher resolutions and refresh frequencies, but it doesn't really matter. In configurations that they can both support, like 1080p 60Hz, they're both identical. In higher configurations like 4K 60Hz, DisplayPort is your only option (pre HDMI 2.0, which most 4K displays still are) so it doesn't really matter anyway.

4. Like I said, DisplayPort to HDMI cables will limit you to the limits of HDMI, sending HDMI signals from a DisplayPort output won't magically give you capabilities beyond the HDMI specification.

5. Depends on the TV, although in general TVs have higher latency than monitors.

1. They have different ports.
2. Don't need to worry about the cable, it is about the HDMI port on the device.
3. There is absolutely no reason to use DP if your TV only has HDMI. The adapter for DP to HDMI is going to make it HDMI anyways. 
4. Size doesn't matter. Only resolution and refresh rate. If your TV is 1080 @ 60 Hz you will have no difference between DP and HDMI.
5. I use a 50 inch Sharp Quattron as a monitor. There is nothing wrong with it. Not if you configure it correctly. The TV is 60 Hz, you aren't going to get a higher fps out of it.

if you need help configuring the TV just send me a message.