r9 295x2 vs gtx 980

Go to solution Solved by FLUFFYJELLO,

The money doesn't count for me at that point i have a budget of 12000$ what i wanna build is a long term extreme gaming pc that would last for a long time on extreme 4K ultra high gaming thats my point so i don't care about money, electrical power or even heat this is an overkill project.

Then get 3 Vapor X R9 290X 8GB edition cards. The 8GB of VRAM will give you an insane frame buffer for 4k gaming. The 295x2 only gives you 4GB of VRAM. To make full use of that you'll need a Haswell E platform, preferably the 5960x.

i would like to know which would give me higher performance a 2way r9 295x2 or a 4way gtx 980

i would like to know which would give me higher performance a 2way r9 295x2 or a 4way gtx 980

4 way 980 but please don't actually do that go 3 way max.

4790k @ 4.6 (1.25 adaptive) // 2x GTX 970 stock clocks/voltage // Dominator Platnium 4x4 16G //Maximus Formula VII // WD Black1TB + 128GB 850 PRO // RM1000 // NZXT H440 // Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 (MX Blue) // Corsair M95 + Steelseries QCK // Razer Adaro DJ // AOC I2757FH

4 way SLI is pointless you get <10% scaling on the 4th card. 2-3 max.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

4 way 980 but please don't actually do that go 3 way max.

the point is that im making an extreme gaming pc so i wanna go overkill on everything :D

but i was surprised by the answer i thought the r9 would be better with the 8GB vram and the water cooling

Both solutions are crappy. Even highend OCers unless for promo don´t go to 4ways.

I use a 3way GTX980 SLI and this is already questionable in certain scenarios. But my hobby is GPU benchmarkig and as I work with highend stuff I chose 3way to be my bracket for GPUs. For gaming in 4K it´s beneficial in games with good SLI profiles. You get better min FPS with ULTRA settings.

EDIT: You don´t proof anything with a 4way other than you can throw money on 4 chips... that´s all. I´m world wide #6 in the 3D Mark HoF for 3 GPUs and my system is much faster than many peoples´ 4way SLI or CF systems. If you want to build a bad ass highend PC build something with cool mods and highend custom water cooling. I don´t see stock cards being really awesome in comparison to full custom water cooled systems with hard tubing TBH.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

Both solutions are crappy. Even highend OCers unless for promo don´t go to 4ways.

I use a 3way GTX980 SLI and this is already questionable in certain scenarios. But my hobby is GPU benchmarkig and as I work with highend stuff I chose 3way to be my bracket for GPUs. For gaming in 4K it´s beneficial in games with good SLI profiles. You get better min FPS with ULTRA settings.

Yep same situation I stick to duo SLI/Xfire on my builds. Its more than enough power and offers good scaling so you get your moneys worth.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

the price difference is so huge where i live so that's why i am asking which is better coz im going overkill and i wanna spend money on only the best of the best :D 

the price difference is so huge where i live so that's why i am asking which is better coz im going overkill and i wanna spend money on only the best of the best :D

Look at the edit of my post ;).

Go for an extreme built, be a super enthusiast just like I am but do it the right way. Enjoy building something bad ass but do it with parts that make other peoples´ PCs look like 1999...

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

the point is that im making an extreme gaming pc so i wanna go overkill on everything :D

but i was surprised by the answer i thought the r9 would be better with the 8GB vram and the water cooling

The R9 295x2 is a dual GPU card. It is slapping two R9 290x onto one PCB. It doesn't have "8 GBs" of vram, that is nothing more than marketing trickery both companies do with their dual GPU cards. It has 2 GPUs with each their own pool of 4 GBs of memory which isn't additive since each GPU needs a pool to render from under our current implementation. Don't go past 2 way SLI. You aren't getting a more "beast" rig by doing so you're actually just introducing a ton of software related bugs into your system which often gives no or even worse performance than a lower amount of cards. (listen to the audio instead of just the graphs.)

Two R9 295x2 in Crossfire is probably as beast as it gets for the price. That's enough GPU horsepower to choke a heavily overclocked i7-4930k.

Tho the need for such a configuration doesn't make much sense unless you're doing high end 4k gaming.

Plus the R9 395x2 is rumored to come out later this year.

I mean dual 295x2 is basically the same thing as 4 way SLI 980's, I'd probably get the 4 980's if I had money to waste since they use a lot less power, which matters when you have 4 of them. Seriously though, just get 2 of them why waste money on more?

You don't seem to have much knowledge. How about you get some more information before spending a stupid amount of money on a pc?

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Look at the edit of my post ;).

Go for an extreme built, be a super enthusiast just like I am but do it the right way. Enjoy building something bad ass but do it with parts that make other peoples´ PCs look like 1999...

If you've got the money for dual 980's go for it, 295x2 | more power consumption + heat  

The R9 295x2 is a dual GPU card. It is slapping two R9 290x onto one PCB. It doesn't have "8 GBs" of vram, that is nothing more than marketing trickery both companies do with their dual GPU cards. It has 2 GPUs with each their own pool of 4 GBs of memory which isn't additive since each GPU needs a pool to render from under our current implementation. Don't go past 2 way SLI. You aren't getting a more "beast" rig by doing so you're actually just introducing a ton of software related bugs into your system which often gives no or even worse performance than a lower amount of cards. (listen to the audio instead of just the graphs.)

I'd suggest neither, and waiting until the new GPUs come out.

Two R9 295x2 in Crossfire is probably as beast as it gets for the price. That's enough GPU horsepower to choke a heavily overclocked i7-4930k.

Tho the need for such a configuration doesn't make much sense unless you're doing high end 4k gaming.

Plus the R9 395x2 is rumored to come out later this year.

I mean dual 295x2 is basically the same thing as 4 way SLI 980's, I'd probably get the 4 980's if I had money to waste since they use a lot less power, which matters when you have 4 of them. Seriously though, just get 2 of them why waste money on more?

You don't seem to have much knowledge. How about you get some more information before spending a stupid amount of money on a pc?

The money doesn't count for me at that point i have a budget of 12000$ what i wanna build is a long term extreme gaming pc that would last for a long time on extreme 4K ultra high gaming thats my point so i don't care about money, electrical power or even heat this is an overkill project.

The software related bugs, stuttering, and extremely small support for 3 and 4 way SLI won't be fixed unless you had enough funds to hire a software development team for a special set of private drivers. Get 3 of the 8 GB versions of the R9 290x. Run a custom water cooling loop through them. At least Mantle titles have more flexibility in the way Crossfire is handled. 

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/video-card/#c=146&r=8192&sort=a8

I still say wait until the new GPU lines. They're supposed to be awesome, I hear.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

many of us just dont understand it.

Dropping and ton of money for 4 way doesnt futute proof anything or give u better experience than 2way.

some other suggest instead Wasting more money on hardware that may not improve performance why not spent some on customwater loop, mod the case something special?

4way might acually cause driver issue in some other games that can degrade performance instead.

Then get 3 Vapor X R9 290X 8GB edition cards. The 8GB of VRAM will give you an insane frame buffer for 4k gaming. The 295x2 only gives you 4GB of VRAM. To make full use of that you'll need a Haswell E platform, preferably the 5960x.

Cinders: - i7 4790K (4.5GHz) - Gigabyte Z97X-SOC - 16GB Klevv DDR3 1600MHz - EVGA GTX 980Ti ACX2.0+ (1548MHz Boost) - EVGA Supernova 850GS - NZXT H440 Orange/Black (Modified) -
Unnamed System: i5 4690K (4.2GHz) - MSI Z97I-AC - 8GB G.Skill DDR3 2400MHz - EVGA GTX 950 SSC - Raidmax Thunder V2 535W - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX