Is building an AMD system worth it?

Hey guys I was wondering if building an AMD rig  is really worth it? I am going to use it for moderate video editing and lots of gaming

The parts I am thinking are:

CPU:AMD FX-8370

MOBO: ASUS Crosshair V Formula Z

RAM: 16Gb Corsair vengeance PRO 2133MHz

SSD:Crucial MX100 256Gb

HDD:Seagate baracuda 2TB

Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 970 superclocked ACX 2.0

PSU: EVGA supernova NEX Fully modular 750W 80+Gold

CASE: NZXT H440(black/red_ or Phanteks Enthoo PRo

Watercooling: EKWB X360 kit

Also getting block for the card(not out yet)

Btw this is my first watercooling rig!!

youtube.com/Drpaynetv

Building a systems with AMD GPU is worth it. But for CPUs, it's just plain bad. I'm sorry, but since AMD refuses to release new CPUs, Intel has just taken such a lead, that there's no sense in getting AMD right now.

Want me to make a build for you? If so, tell me which color you'd like it, how much you want to spend, and if you need windows.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

No, it would be WAY better to get a cheaper board + an i5. Not even close, the FX will get demolished

however, when it comes to GPUs AMD packs a punch! :)

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Considering for the price of an FX 8370 and a Crosshair V Formula-Z, no.

An i5 4690K and MSI Z97 G55 SLI will do just as well for video editing and better for gaming. They also consume less power and produce less heat in most cases.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

You could easily get an i7 for the same price if not cheaper that would demolish the 8370 in editing and be much better in gaming. (at least in the us)

If you would do much video editing and on a budget - amd is the way to go

If you would do much video editing and on a budget - amd is the way to go

Nope. Not at all. Intel can do the same, but better.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Nope. Not at all. Intel can do the same, but better.

600 bucks and hevy video editing/light to none gaming. 8350 would do better becouse in rendering - more slower core = better

600 bucks and hevy video editing/light to none gaming. 8350 would do better becouse in rendering - more slower core = better

I suppose you don't know how AMD Cpus work... oh well. Just remember this: halve the number of cores that AMD has. Only then you can make a fair comparison.

I suppose you don't know how AMD Cpus work... oh well. Just remember this: halve the number of cores that AMD has. Only then you can make a fair comparison.

You're true about that but from the bechmarks I saw, 8320 out-performed i5 in only the cpu heavy encoding, so on a heavy budget build, with lots of rendering amd could possibly be better

I have an 8370, upgraded to it because it was cheap and I only had an old i3. 

Its got some really good OC potential 

You're asking this question to an Intel & Nvidia biased community. Good luck.

That is not true.  Intels are just faster.  When someone asks for performance advice, the community looks to facts in order to help the person that is spending money. I really would not wat to start posting the benchmarking sites and the differences in CPU architecture (which happens a lot).

Fact:  In order to compete with Intel CPUs, AMD CPUs have to be heavily overclocked... and they are still slower than stock Intels a lot of the time.

The buyer here is spending a lot of money.  Although AMD GPU solutions are at par with Nvidia, the CPU has to be done the only right way... Intel.  Do you really wanna spend $150 on an FX chip and $150-$200 on a high end board (not to mention the cooling), only to still have the CPU struggle to keep up with the market leaders (Intel)?.

@Drpaynetv If you wanna mess around with the AMD CPU, go for it.  If you really want that solid high performance you can go to an i5, a Xeon, or an i7.

thanks for the inside guys.. I was wondering that by going tih the fxz 8370 would save me a few pounds(sterling). An i7-5820k build is 200-300pounds more expensive than the fx 8370 which more or less that for the same price i can the AMD with the watercooling.. Yes i know the i7-5820k is much newer and much better..but still wanted to know you opinions..

Thanks again!!

thanks for the inside guys.. I was wondering that by going tih the fxz 8370 would save me a few pounds(sterling). An i7-5820k build is 200-300pounds more expensive than the fx 8370 which more or less that for the same price i can the AMD with the watercooling.. Yes i know the i7-5820k is much newer and much better..but still wanted to know you opinions..

Thanks again!!

Nope, you don't buy 5820k for gaming. You buy the i7-4790k, and that's just because of the video editing.

Thanks again!!

Wait, the FX 8xxx series has 4 modules with 2 "weak cores" per module.  You might consider it to be an 8-core, but you can argue that is not a "true 8-core".

Look at the Xeons with hyperthreading, or the i7 4790K.  You experience gaming will be much more enjoyable.  Xeons have locked multipliers so you can only FSB (BLCK) overclock them.  The i7 (K series) has an unlocked multiplier.  The 5820K is a "true 6-core" but it is expensive.

Note:  you don't need to overclock the Intels.

...but I like having the option to do so.