i5 vs i7

Go to solution Solved by Analog,

The i7 is a faster and overall better processor, because it has 8 threads. It is said that an i5 is better for gaming simply because only a very limited amount of games actually benefit from hypertreading, therefore, the extra cost is not justified. In many occasions it is actually better to have a processor with more cores rather than more threads. For example the last Tomb Rider does run with higher FPS when it is run on an i7 6-core, compared to an i5 or a mainstream i7 with 8 threads. 

Hello!

I have heard that i5 is the best option for gaming rather than using i7.

Is that true?

And if it is true, how big of a difference does it do?

Thanks in advance!  :)

Hello!

I have heard that i5 is the best option for gaming rather than using i7.

Is that true?

And if it is true, how big of a difference does it do?

Thanks in advance!  :)

the i5 is not better, but cheaper.

some heavily multithreaded games might run better on the i7

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

the i5 is not better, but cheaper.

some heavily multithreaded games might run better on the i7

Thank you very much!  :)  :)  :)

The i7 is a faster and overall better processor, because it has 8 threads. It is said that an i5 is better for gaming simply because only a very limited amount of games actually benefit from hypertreading, therefore, the extra cost is not justified. In many occasions it is actually better to have a processor with more cores rather than more threads. For example the last Tomb Rider does run with higher FPS when it is run on an i7 6-core, compared to an i5 or a mainstream i7 with 8 threads. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

Just wondering, a good i5 is just as fast in Windows itself (not games) than an i7, right?

CPU: Core i5 4690k                                                   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M                     RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Red                             

GPU: RX 580                                                             Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB                  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

Case: NZXT S340 red/black                                      Case lighting: NZXT Hue+                          Mouse: Logitech G502

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo                     Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

Thank you for all the information, it makes my decision much easier: Im going for i7 :D

Just wondering, a good i5 is just as fast in Windows itself (not games) than an i7, right?

no, when i disable hyper-threading i can tell the whole computer is a little less responsive...not much, but it's noticeable.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

no, when i disable hyper-threading i can tell the whole computer is a little less responsive...not much, but it's noticeable.

Really? Because for light usage like web browsing and writing up documents I can't tell any difference at all between my Xeon and my Pentium. Obviously the difference is night and day when I'm gaming, encoding a video, decompressing an archive, running MATLAB, compiling a large library, and other heavy tasks, but for light things like browsing LTT you could stick my Pentium back in my board and I'd never know the difference.

Really? Because for light usage like web browsing and writing up documents I can't tell any difference at all between my Xeon and my Pentium. Obviously the difference is night and day when I'm gaming, encoding a video, decompressing an archive, running MATLAB, compiling a large library, and other heavy tasks, but for light things like browsing LTT you could stick my Pentium back in my board and I'd never know the difference.

no, in fact when i come to think about it the time i noticed it was slower in ''i5'' mode is because i was testing 3.4ghz haswell with games and then i noticed it was not as snappy under windows tasks as well but it has to be because of the much lower clockspeed than usual...i guess.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR