Painting Noctua NH-D15 Fans (Question)

TinFoilGreg

Hey guys, was wondering how I would go about painting the D15, I just ordered one and it'll be coming in a few days. What would be the most effective way? I've never ever painting any of my PC components before and I don't really want to run the risk of damaging it cooler but the fans on it look so poor (in regards to colour).

I was wanting to paint it red and black to fit my build, similar to these fans https://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=20518

Any advice from people that have done it before would be fantastic.

Painting fans is a b*tch... why not just change them? Because you would have to disassemble them and risk damaging them beyond repair

Hey guys, was wondering how I would go about painting the D15, I just ordered one and it'll be coming in a few days. What would be the most effective way? I've never ever painting any of my PC components before and I don't really want to run the risk of damaging it cooler but the fans on it look so poor (in regards to colour).

I was wanting to paint it red and black to fit my build, similar to these fans https://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=20518

Any advice from people that have done it before would be fantastic.

I've never done it myself, but if you were to mask the gap at the fan hub, I suppose it'd be safe to spraypaint them in one piece.

As others have said in previous threads, painting fans might make the blades get thrown off balence, and creating excess noise. If I were you, I would just order new fans for the heatsink, and if you want to color the cooling towers themselfs, you could just paint the surface of the top of the top fin on each cooling tower and heatpipes. Simelar to what this guy did. 

post-190010-0-03626500-1423461713.jpg

Noctua Fans are sealed off by noctua to prevent direct coming into the bearings. You will loose your warranty. Also the quiet operation might be as quiet anymore since you might create uneven weighting of the blades.

I would highly recommended not painting fans. Just get fans in the color you like.

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
|| Sapphire Pulse RX 6700 10G || MSI B450i Gaming PLUS MAX Wifi
  || Kingston NV1 2TB m.2 ||  Corsair SF600 || Intertech IM 1 |||
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

Elite 110 build log (update:05/15/2018)

Painting fans is a b*tch... why not just change them? Because you would have to disassemble them and risk damaging them beyond repair

Not looking to spend another 30 bucks on Noctua fans (Unless I can mount the AF140 fans, I bought 3 of them).

Not looking to spend another 30 bucks on Noctua fans (Unless I can mount the AF140 fans, I bought 3 of them).

Those should clip right on with the clips that attach the stock fans to the cooling towers. Could be wrong though. 

The fan can be taken off I believe.

So are you looking to paint the cooler or just the fan?

Just the fans man, the silver-metal of the coolers is fine. 

Those should clip right on with the clips that attach the stock fans to the cooling towers. Could be wrong though. 

I guess I'll try it when they come, if that is the case I'll throw the Noctua's at the front of my case where you cant see them but they can still be used.

I have tried painting fans in the past and it definitely not worth the hassle.  

CPU : 4670k MOBO : MSI Z87 G45  RAM : 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz Graphics : MSI GTX660 OC Twin Frozr (Unfortunately) PSU :Corsair CX600M Storage : Crucial mx100 256GB, Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200rpm  OS : Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit