Windows 7 black screen of death before log in screen

smeek14

Hello all,  Every time I power on my recently build gaming pc it displays the motherboard information, than the windows start up screen.  I even hear the Windows start up sound, but I am greeted with a black screen and all I can see is my cursor.  I have tried control alt delete and other keyboard commands but nothing works.  Here are all my specs.

Intel Core i5-4590S Processor 3.0GHz 5.0GT/s 6MB LGA 1150 CPU

Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB Kit (2x4GB) 1600MHz DDR3

WD Blue 1 TB Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, 7200 RPM, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64 MB Cache

EVGA 500 B 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified 500W

MSI GTX 970 4GD5T OC GeForce GTX 970 4GB 256-Bit

ASUS DRW-24F1ST - DVD SATA SUPERMULTI Burner

ASRock H97M Pro4 LGA 1150 Intel H97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Thank you all in advance.

You might have messed up when installing Windows.

Did you use an ISO (on a flash drive, like I did) or used a CD (with the Windows and Microsoft packaging)?

Cause another problem if you downloaded an ISO would be if it is incomplete (not fully downloaded) or something wrong with it.

Something I would do first though is CTRL+ALT+Delete like you did, Task Manager>File>New Task...>and then type explorer.exe in the text field

CPU: i5-6600k @ 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming | RAM: 8GB HyperX Fury | GPU: Asus Strix GTX 980 | Case: NZXT Noctis 450 Red/Black | Storage: 256GB Sandisk SSD + 1TB Western Digital HDD | PSU: EVGA 750w | Monitor: ASUS VS247H | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Keyboard: $15 Cheapo Rubber Dome Keyboard | Mouse: Rosewill RGM-300

Linus Tech Tips Pebble (and Pebble Time) notifier watchface!

I am actually fully unable to do control alt delete.  I installed it from a cd.  Also I am running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.

As soon as you have the time to, I would wipe everything and re-install. Does it do this since you installed Windows or did you actually had time to use it?

CPU: i5-6600k @ 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming | RAM: 8GB HyperX Fury | GPU: Asus Strix GTX 980 | Case: NZXT Noctis 450 Red/Black | Storage: 256GB Sandisk SSD + 1TB Western Digital HDD | PSU: EVGA 750w | Monitor: ASUS VS247H | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Keyboard: $15 Cheapo Rubber Dome Keyboard | Mouse: Rosewill RGM-300

Linus Tech Tips Pebble (and Pebble Time) notifier watchface!

Have you tried booting into safemode, if that does not work try booting on the iGPU, Worst comes to worst reinstall Windows

Main PC: CPU: i7-4770k RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Blu SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB HDD: 1TB WD Blue GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 2GB PSU: Corsair CX600M Case: Bitfenix Shinobi OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Laptop: ASUS N56VJ

As soon as you have the time to, I would wipe everything and re-install. Does it do this since you installed Windows or did you actually had time to use it?

I had time to use it.

Have you tried booting into safemode, if that does not work try booting on the iGPU, Worst comes to worst reinstall Windows

I will try but I do not think that I can.

update: sometimes if I wiggle the mouse a bit before the black screen it will boot up.  This only works half the time.

update: during black screen I can type in my password and go to the desktop, although all I see is a background.  No toolbar or icons.  However I can boot into safemode just fine.  SOunds like a explorer.exe issue.