When will upgrading from Ivy Bridge truly be worth it?

So I'm currently sitting on a 3570k and have been for awhile now. I'm sure there are other threads asking whether or not it is a good idea to upgrade to Haswell, but that's not what my intent is today. 

What I want to know is what you guys think will be a true next step in CPU horsepower. Sure, Haswell's 5-15% gains are of great use to some professionals, but for the majority of gamers like me there are far better places to put your money. Personally, I thought the new consoles would push PC a little harder than they have but that simply isn't the case. Also, despite all the issues that come with smaller processes (quantum tunneling) I can't help but feel that the industry is slowing down even more so than in the past due to corporate greed. 

So what do you guys think? Will it come down to new, smaller process nodes? Will Zen be the kick that Intel needs to push forward again? Or are we, the niche enthusiast market, simply lacking the influence necessary to get Intel and AMD to think about progress more than profits? 

I'm gunna say the platform that makes DDR4 mainstream will be it.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

I personally will upgrade when consumer quad cores are replaced by 6 cores.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

What about Sandy Bridge huehuehue...

:(

has to be something crazy. I have a i5-3570K sitting at 4.4 ghz and even with dual 7950s its not a bottlneck. unless you do some crazy work, this is a solid chip.

something will need to have like 50% perfomance gains. My dad is sitting on is i7-920. and its like what? 7 years old? and guess what. it still fast enough for what he does. and it probably will be for a while. pcs have really slowed down. 

Skylake will make it worth it. At that point you are looking at a serious IPC increase from Ivy Bridge. If you take simply a 10% IPC increase generation to generation from Ivy to Broadwell. You are looking at 20% increase in IPC. Then you take another 20%-30% for Skylake and you are looking at almost 40-50% increase in performance. Skylake is going to be a Tock so expect a nice jump in performance since it will be completely redesigned.

I have a 3570k too.....

People say it's just fine.

A generation or two. I'm getting the occasional bottleneck at the moment on a 3960X, but it's mainly Ubisoft games only utilising a single core. I'm hoping games will soon start to levy more cores and I can relax a bit more, but if that doesn't end up happening then I'll probably upgrade in a year or so.

Skylake will make it worth it. At that point you are looking at a serious IPC increase from Ivy Bridge. If you take simply a 10% IPC increase generation to generation from Ivy to Broadwell. You are looking at 20% increase in IPC. Then you take another 20%-30% for Skylake and you are looking at almost 40-50% increase in performance. Skylake is going to be a Tock so expect a nice jump in performance since it will be completely redesigned.

I'll never understand why tock happens first. Surely "tick" should be the whole new microarchitecture and "tock" should be the die shrink...

Wait isn't Ivy to Haswell just a 3% jump?...

When your PC can no longer handle what you need to do, and you decide it's time to upgrade.

THIS IS MY SUPER TEENY TINY SIGNATURE!

Ain't it just the cutest little signature.

Some would argue it is the cutest little signature ever.

Honestly, I am waiting to see what skylake is all about. If DDR4 and hexcore cpus become the mainstream standard then that will be when I upgrade. Just remember that a lot of games still only require Core 2 duos and Core 2 quads to run properly which means Ivy-bridge is still far from the chopping block.

Handing out TechRx's

What about Sandy Bridge huehuehue...

:(

it is not possible to upgrade from sandybridge unless it is to a faster sandy bridge :P

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

I'll never understand why tock happens first. Surely "tick" should be the whole new microarchitecture and "tock" should be the die shrink...

I think it's only because the first improvement they made with their chips was a die shrink:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Tick-Tock