R4 or R5

Jerakl
Go to solution Solved by yippy3000,

I got the R5 over the R4 for three main reasons

- On the R4, the SSD mounts on the back side of the motherboard require removing the motherboard to take them out.  The R5 made the mounts into trays that can be easily taken in and out at any time.

- The front door on the R5 can be made to swing either direction, the R4 has a fixed hinge

- The front filter and fan mounts are better in the R5.  In the R4 the fans came out with the filter.  In the R5, the filter is now in front of the fans and they are attached to permanent mount points that also now support a radiator.

Other changes:

- The drive cages have more configurations in the R5 (including removing the 5.25in cage entirely

- The optional top vents are more moduler and are better sound proofed.

- The bottom dust filter is removable from the front of the case in the R5 (in the R4 you had to remove it from the back)

- The R5 has more radiator mounting points, partly due to the drive cage changes and front fan mounting changes.

So for a a mod/build I'm thinking about doing I need a white case (with window)

I was looking at the define R4/R5 because it looks clean, has a windowed option and has the sexy whitish-blue power button.

So my local store has really cut down stock lately. (They don't even carry white 760t's anymore) and they don't have the R5 in their store at all. But they do have R4s. So what are the major differences and would it be worth buying and shipping the case from, say NCIX, then to just buy the R4?

TL;DR

What makes the R5 better then the R4 and is it worth shipping the R5 from an online retailer instead of buying an R4 locally.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

I was looking at the define R4/R5 because it looks clean, has a windowed option and has the sexy whitish-blue power button.

So my local store has really cut down stock lately. (They don't even carry white 760t's anymore) and they don't have the R5 in their store at all. But they do have R4s. So what are the major differences and would it be worth buying and shipping the case from, say NCIX, then to just buy the R4?

TL;DR

What makes the R5 better then the R4 and is it worth shipping the R5 from an online retailer instead of buying an R4 locally.

r5 is better because 5 > 4 and 4+5 equals 9 and the square root of nine is three therefore illuminati confirmed

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

TL;DR

The R5 has all of the input from the community. It is the "essential" case, while the R4 is almost there.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

r5 is better because 5 > 4 and 4+5 equals 9 and the square root of nine is three therefore illuminati confirmed

O3vxFOi.gif

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

The R5 has all of the input from the community. It is the "essential" case, while the R4 is almost there.

Anything specific?

Anything specific?

I'm not sure. It has the fan covers on the top and a bit more modularity inside. I've only seen the R4 in person and the R5 in launch unboxings.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

R5. It's better ventilated, more mounting spots for radiators, quieter, more room, you don't have to remove the motherboard to access the ssd trays in the back etc etc

- On the R4, the SSD mounts on the back side of the motherboard require removing the motherboard to take them out.  The R5 made the mounts into trays that can be easily taken in and out at any time.

- The front door on the R5 can be made to swing either direction, the R4 has a fixed hinge

- The front filter and fan mounts are better in the R5.  In the R4 the fans came out with the filter.  In the R5, the filter is now in front of the fans and they are attached to permanent mount points that also now support a radiator.

Other changes:

- The drive cages have more configurations in the R5 (including removing the 5.25in cage entirely

- The bottom dust filter is removable from the front of the case in the R5 (in the R4 you had to remove it from the back)

- The R5 has more radiator mounting points, partly due to the drive cage changes and front fan mounting changes.

Fractal Design Define R5 | i7-4790k | Corsair H80 | Asus Z97-Pro WiFi | 2 x EVGA GTX 970 SSC+ | 16GB G.Skill Sniper@1866MHz | Samsung 840 Evo 256 GB | 1TB + 750GB drives | EVGA 750W G2 | 27" BenQ IPS 1440p@60Hz | Windows 10

Other changes:

These all sound like things that would matter to me.

Can you just quickly tell me what color the power LED is?

Blue

I'll probably go with the R5 then, thanks guys.

Same cheap ass window on the R5, get ready for scratches.

Same cheap ass window on the R5, get ready for scratches.

No scratches on mine lol. You have to be stupid to get scratches on it

No scratches on mine lol. You have to be stupid to get scratches on it

No scratches either, but it streaks like crazy.  Only visible if you put a flashlight on it though; normal case lighting is fine.  Small scratches and streaking seem like stuff you just have to accept with acrylic.  I'm not cool/crazy enough to replace it with a custom pane of glass like Linus though.

As of now the competition for it is a 760t, which (IMO) is one of the sexiest cases out there. I like the look of the 780t more, but it doesn't come in midtower size.

No scratches either, but it streaks like crazy. Only visible if you put a flashlight on it though; normal case lighting is fine. Small scratches and streaking seem like stuff you just have to accept with acrylic. I'm not cool/crazy enough to replace it with a custom pane of glass like Linus though.

Ah, well I haven't touched my side door since installation. Been thinking of ordering the door without window

Way too expensive at 150 dollars and many reviewer don't show it being watercooled with more than one radiator.

If you went for the R5 then you definitely made a good choice. However one thing I don't like about mine is that my front panel USB 2.0 ports are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too tight. I can plug in USB devices just fine, but it requires quite a bit of force to remove. I'm not sure if anyone else has experienced this with their R5. 

Way too expensive at 150 dollars and many reviewer don't show it being watercooled with more than one radiator.

Too expensive is subjective, and for someone who's just considering R4 vs. R5 they're probably already comfortable with the price.  Also, it will fit up to 6x140mm worth of rads if you line up the ports right and stay away from thick ones.  It's got three 140mm slots in the top, one in the back, and two in the front.  You could also get an extra 120mm in the bottom if you completely sacrifice the hard drive bays.