Suggestions needed for new SSD & how to use the old one

SalvorH

I've been using a 64GB 830 for a while and I think it's time for an upgrade. The ssd will be a boot drive, somewhere to install my applications & games. Regular stuff like that.

These seem to be my choices based on budget & GB. Which one would you guys recommend ? As far as the Samsung drives go, do they still have issues with slowing down or did the firmware updates eliminated all problems?

muUgJGd.jpg

I'd also like to see if there's anything useful I can do with the old 64GB 830. Can it be used as some kind of cache to speed up my hdds ?

CPU: R5 3600 (OC 4.3GHz - 1.175v) Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC GPU: ASUS TUF RTX 3060 Ti OC 8GB

RAM: Ballistix Sport LT 16GB 3600CL15 Monitor: AOC Q27G2U VA 1440p/144Hz Boot SSD: 850 EVO 256GB PSU: CORSAIR TX550M

Cooler: Hyper 212 Black Case: Phanteks Eclipse P350X Keyboard: Corsair K70 Mouse: Logitech G502

Crucial MX100 ftw.

And keep your old SSD. do something with it. Install it in your laptop or simply keep using it.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

You could use the old one to Cache your HDD. (If your chipset/controller supports SSD caching)

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

256 GB MX100.

And throw your old one to me :P

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Put the old SSD in a 2.5" external USB3.0 enclosure...

Fast external transfers between you and your mates PC's!!!!

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Good suggestions so far.

It also occurred to me that I might use the old ssd to put Linux on it. It's been a few years since I last tried to mess with it.

CPU: R5 3600 (OC 4.3GHz - 1.175v) Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC GPU: ASUS TUF RTX 3060 Ti OC 8GB

RAM: Ballistix Sport LT 16GB 3600CL15 Monitor: AOC Q27G2U VA 1440p/144Hz Boot SSD: 850 EVO 256GB PSU: CORSAIR TX550M

Cooler: Hyper 212 Black Case: Phanteks Eclipse P350X Keyboard: Corsair K70 Mouse: Logitech G502

I've been using a 64GB 830 for a while and I think it's time for an upgrade. The ssd will be a boot drive, somewhere to install my applications & games. Regular stuff like that.

These seem to be my choices based on budget & GB. Which one would you guys recommend ? As far as the Samsung drives go, do they still have issues with slowing down or did the firmware updates eliminated all problems?

muUgJGd.jpg

I'd also like to see if there's anything useful I can do with the old 64GB 830. Can it be used as some kind of cache to speed up my hdds ?

Hey SalvorH,

I would keep the old SSD just in case something happens with your boot drive and you need a temporary solution for your OS :)
Your other option would be caching your other drives or keeping it with a depanding program or two on it, saving space on the larger SSD.

As for which one, SSDs have pretty close read/write speeds and you wouldn't notise any major differences in performance for everyday usage. I would get the better deal (warranty, price per GB, etc.) or whichever brand you prefer.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/