Help with 1st build, please

Hey guys, so i'm in the process of building my "dream gaming pc" and as i get closer it seems i find more and more barriers. This time it is the: how much and how fast of RAM do i need.

so before i give details on the issue here is my POU: Gaming. that is basically it. i may consider recording games therefore i want to cap out at 16gb of RAM (for now). So; on to the task at hand.

I was looking at 1600MHZ @ CAS 7 but was told that the 2133MHZ @ CAS 9 would be more useful. and all across the internet i keep finding contradictory answers. I understand the very same thing may happen here, and that's fine but at least i can interact and ask the questions i have. that being said i have one final thing: 

The 2133 RAM @ CAS 9 i found is factory set @ 1.6V where the CPU (4790k) i want is "max recommended" @ 1.575V. Will this restrict the full potential of my CPU? (i will also have a water cooling system, and multiple fans in the system.) 

Thanks for the help guys, it is really appreciated. I am new to this and just trying to do it right. Thanks for your time and help.

Memory speed is not important for gaming. 1600 CAS 9 is standard and any better will not be a noticeable performance increase. You could step up to DDR4 speeds and see like a 1 fps improvement. Also, if you don't run things in the background, you can game with only 4GB of memory. 8GB is enough these days for gaming and regular everyday multitasking. 16GB+ is usually reserved for workstation/server kind of builds.

Focus on performance parts, and pick your parts based on your screen. For instance, if you have a standard 1080p 60hz screen, then pretty much any GPU better than an R9 290 or GTX 970 is a waste as they can all hit 60fps on max settings. Going for a 144hz monitor means you're definitely going to want a K series CPU, z chipset motherboard, and aftermarket cooler because you can't reach the kind of performance needed in some games to hit that high of a framerate without overclocking. So on and so forth.

well ram speed isnt really that much of a......well thing ive looked up tons of reviews and even jay from jayztwocents says if your gaming you wont see much of a difference with faster ram i believe itd make more of a difference in editing other than that speed isnt much of a neccesity over the amount i reccomend at least 8 gbs of ram if your gaming maybe even 16 but 8 will definetly get you by for now.

askdjfasdf

Memory speed is not important for gaming. 1600 CAS 9 is standard and any better will not be a noticeable performance increase. You could step up to DDR4 speeds and see like a 1 fps improvement. Also, if you don't run things in the background, you can game with only 4GB of memory. 8GB is enough these days for gaming and regular everyday multitasking. 16GB+ is usually reserved for workstation/server kind of builds.

Focus on performance parts, and pick your parts based on your screen. For instance, if you have a standard 1080p 60hz screen, then pretty much any GPU better than an R9 290 or GTX 970 is a waste as they can all hit 60fps on max settings. Going for a 144hz monitor means you're definitely going to want a K series CPU, z chipset motherboard, and aftermarket cooler because you can't reach the kind of performance needed in some games to hit that high of a framerate without overclocking. So on and so forth.

This is a GREAT post!

I wholly agree that the monitor you choose makes all the difference.

If you're going to record games though, the 16gb would be nice for working on rendering them vids. :)