Opinions on Sager laptops

cjm86

I might be getting a Sager NP8278-S soon (love tax time.) Does anybody have experience with Sager? I mostly hear about MSI, Asus and all the bigger brands. Even "boutique" brands like ibuypower, origin and digital storm come up more. I only recently heard of Sager. The machine comes with:

I7 4710mq

GTX 970m 6gb (does the 3 more gb make a huge difference?)

8gb of RAM (will be getting 16 instead of 8)

120 gb Samsung EVO

1tb HDD.

P.S.

Yes I would prefer to build a desktop, but I don't have the space to put a desktop anywhere.

Sager NP8278-S--CPU-i7-4710MQ--GPU-GTX 970m 6GB--RAM-8GB--Storage-128GB SSD and 1TB HDD--Mouse-Steelseries Rival--Headset-Kingston HyperX Cloud

http://www.sagernotebook.com/Gaming-Notebook-NP8278-S.html

Sager laptops are pretty decent, not the absolute best, but far from worst.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I might be getting a Sager NP8278-S soon (love tax time.) Does anybody have experience with Sager? I mostly hear about MSI, Asus and all the bigger brands. Even "boutique" brands like ibuypower, origin and digital storm come up more. I only recently heard of Sager. The machine comes with:

Sager use "clevo" barebones shells.

Just like OriginPC

Just like iBuyPower

Just like some of CyberpowerPC

Just like Digital Storm

Just like Falcon Northwest

Just like mySN

Just like Metabox (australia)

Just like Scan UK

Just like Avadirect

Just like Eurocom

Just like Venom Computing (remember linus' review of that "macbook quality" notebook? Yeah that was a Clevo and he didn't even know.)

Basically, a bunch of people know about them and don't know they're using them, because most of the US brands do not disclose the fact that they are in fact clevos.

They are top notch high-end laptops, and the only truly better models were the previous generations of Alienware notebooks. The new models are a sharp quality drop for Alienware, and thus Clevo has come out on top.

As an owner of a clevo machine right now, I can tell you they're quite good personally. My last machine was a Clevo as well.

As for here, the reason you hear about "MSI" and "ASUS" more than Clevo-branded laptops among desktop users (especially on this forum) is because up until recently, ASUS was the only widely known high-end manufacturer for notebooks other than Alienware (which everyone wrote off as overpriced junk). MSI turned some heads with its (overpriced) GT72 and GT80 machines lately and thin/light chasers who can't get an ASUS have headed for MSI's GS series. That's the only reason why.

If you have any more questions, I point you to this sub-forum: http://forum.notebookreview.com/forums/sager-and-clevo.1017/where you can ask anything you want, and feel free to check out the owner's lounges as well. The clevo model for that Sager you're thinking of is the P170SM-A. 

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Sager use "clevo" barebones shells.

Just like OriginPC

Just like iBuyPower

Just like some of CyberpowerPC

Just like Digital Storm

Just like Falcon Northwest

Just like mySN

Just like Metabox (australia)

Just like Scan UK

Just like Avadirect

Just like Eurocom

Just like Venom Computing (remember linus' review of that "macbook quality" notebook? Yeah that was a Clevo and he didn't even know.)

Basically, a bunch of people know about them and don't know they're using them, because most of the US brands do not disclose the fact that they are in fact clevos.

They are top notch high-end laptops, and the only truly better models were the previous generations of Alienware notebooks. The new models are a sharp quality drop for Alienware, and thus Clevo has come out on top.

As an owner of a clevo machine right now, I can tell you they're quite good personally. My last machine was a Clevo as well.

As for here, the reason you hear about "MSI" and "ASUS" more than Clevo-branded laptops among desktop users (especially on this forum) is because up until recently, ASUS was the only widely known high-end manufacturer for notebooks other than Alienware (which everyone wrote off as overpriced junk). MSI turned some heads with its (overpriced) GT72 and GT80 machines lately and thin/light chasers who can't get an ASUS have headed for MSI's GS series. That's the only reason why.

If you have any more questions, I point you to this sub-forum: http://forum.notebookreview.com/forums/sager-and-clevo.1017/where you can ask anything you want, and feel free to check out the owner's lounges as well. The clevo model for that Sager you're thinking of is the P170SM-A.

Good info. Thank you. I think I'll be very happy with it.

Sager NP8278-S--CPU-i7-4710MQ--GPU-GTX 970m 6GB--RAM-8GB--Storage-128GB SSD and 1TB HDD--Mouse-Steelseries Rival--Headset-Kingston HyperX Cloud

http://www.sagernotebook.com/Gaming-Notebook-NP8278-S.html