AMD FX 6300 "Safe" Temps?

The only real reason to run P95 for more than a few minutes is to test stability of an overclock.

Then maybe someone should have told me :blink:

Oh well.

i think your chip has a bad sensor...or your house is really really really cold...

Yeah, any idea how to get accurate readings? My house is usually 68-72 F

Yeah, any idea how to get accurate readings? My house is usually 68-72 F

no not really if the temperature sensors on your chip are not reliable theres not much you can do about it...maybe try to see if CoreTemp give the same readings? it's a free soft you should have no problem finding it.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

hw info should give you correct temps, also thats believeable my 8350 with 212 evo would idle around 20c and under full load be about 45c at 4.5ghz,but prime 95 or ibt would push it close to 60.

also, fx cpus should ALWAYS be under 60c, 62c is its limit although it wont start freezing shutting down until about 72c

cpu:i7-4770k    gpu: msi reference r9 290x  liquid cooled with h55 and hg10 a1     motherboard:z97x gaming 5   ram:gskill sniper 8 gb

no not really if the temperature sensors on your chip are not reliable theres not much you can do about it...maybe try to see if CoreTemp give the same readings? it's a free soft you should have no problem finding it.

It says I'm iddling at about 22C so...

hw info should give you correct temps, also thats believeable my 8350 with 212 evo would idle around 20c and under full load be about 45c at 4.5ghz,but prime 95 or ibt would push it close to 60.

also, fx cpus should ALWAYS be under 60c, 62c is its limit although it wont start freezing shutting down until about 72c

It says I'm iddling at about 22C so...

guys, if your homes are at 22c or 24c the CPU just CAN NOT be idling at 22C or lower or anything like that...normal idling temps on these under a 212 cpu cooler should be around 30c to 35c...and under load depending on the voltages you should be anywhere from around 50c at 1.3v to about 65c at 1.45v...this is the ballpark of my experience with overclocking FX-8320 under a CM 212 cpu heatsinks...those are absolutely normal temps...your cpu just can not run at ambient temps or lower even on idle...it's physics, it just can not be.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

guys, if your homes are at 22c or 24c the CPU just CAN NOT be idling at 22C or lower or anything like that...normal idling temps on these under a 212 cpu cooler should be around 30c to 35c...and under load depending on the voltages you should be anywhere from around 50c at 1.3v to about 65c at 1.45v...this is the ballpark of my experience with overclocking FX-8320 under a CM 212 cpu heatsinks...those are absolutely normal temps...your cpu just can not run at ambient temps or lower even on idle...it's physics, it just can not be.

Yeah, I know the probe is definitely broken. So is there any hope I can still OC?

Yeah, I know the probe is definitely broken. So is there any hope I can still OC?

yes sure...if we assume your temps are monitored around 10c lower than they should be, you could probably just assume that under load your CPU will show temps around 12c to 15c lower than actual so just keep that in mind when overclocking...

Also, as i mentionned if your hyper 212 is installed in a well vented case in a normal room temperature environment it should be able to dissipate up to around 1.42v withouth having your cpu overheating...

Also keep in mind that torture test like prime 95 will get your cpu to run much hotter than anything else...so it's normal for your cpu to get very hot when you stress test it...it will never get that hot while gaming for example.

Stress test < 30 min anything under 70 is good.

Regular load usage(gaming, rendering) I would aim to stay below 65, but tbh anything under 70 will likely run fine without really hurting your CPU.

AMD Overdrive sets the thermal margin at 70C, which id also when throttling kicks in.

Autoshutdown is around 80-85.

I would strongly recommend validating your OC with real world applications and only use stress tests to make sure you have enough voltage.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

At low voltages idle tempd at 22-25C are possible in a 20-21 degree environment.

At low voltages idle tempd at 22-25C are possible in a 20-21 degree environment.

possible with a very good cooler and if you happen to just have turned on the machine...after a while running games and stuff you'll never see 25c again...you'd need to have the machine operating in a room at 15c to ever see such low idling temps...at least from my experience that was the case.

I would use AIDA64, I hear P95 puts a very unrealistic stressed load on your CPU

AIDA does too afaik. I used XTU, but I don't know if you can use that on AMD

possible with a very good cooler and if you happen to just have turned on the machine...after a while running games and stuff you'll never see 25c again...you'd need to have the machine operating in a room at 15c to ever see such low idling temps...at least from my experience that was the case.

sMqaVz4.jpg

Granted I am on water, but this is also fairly high voltage (1.4 ish)  

It's basically 3-4 degrees above room temp.  

Air might have a harder time of course.  But I wouldn't assume a faulty sensor is the issue here. (The AM3+ sensor in my experience is adequate.  Fm2 is where you see the crazy 100 degree bullshit and other insanity.)

FX cpus do not read temperatures properly when not under load. They are only accurate once they are running at load.

op: depending your chip, you should get a fairly decent overclock with the hyper 212. I have almost the exact same setup and i am at 4.5ghz and at load i hit max 53C

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man