Making PC quieter without spending $$$ ?

sage78

Hey guys. 

What's a good way of reducing the fan noise of my PC? I can hear the case vibrating all the time.. I lowered fan speeds a bit but its still very noisy. I'm buying silicon based glue tomorrow to do this

http://youtu.be/BhkYrzST7V4?t=1m14s

I'm gonna try this with my old PC and if it works well I will do it in all GPU fans and chasis fans i can :)

Any other ways of making a PC quieter without actually spending much ?

Main - SPEEDTEST
CPU AMD FX-8350 | RAM Kingston HyperX 12GB @1866MHz | GPU Gigabyte HD 7850 | Mobo Asrock 970 Extreme3 R2.0 | HDD 1863GB Seagate ST2000DM001-1CH164 | PSU 550W | Case VENTO A8
Le Petite Frankenstein (First build, only original part is GPU)
CPU AMD Ahlon II X2 260 | RAM 2x2GB @1333MHz | GPU Sapphire HD 3650 | Mobo Gigabyte 78LMT-S2P | HDD 500GB | PSU 500W | 1998 Case
I support AMD because I support competition in the hardware market. We all know if the "other guys" had a complete monopoly, things wouldn't get any better for ANYONE..

Well, the first thing I would do is isolate whats creating each and every sound....so first, i'd disconnect everything thats not critical for the computer to boot up -- so I would disconnect all fans (including the cpu fan -- although do keep an eye on temps while doing this part), the GPU, and the HDD.

Sources of noise:

Do you have a window? Is the window loose?

PSU, GPU, AIO pump (if you have an AIO), and case fans.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

making your own anti-vibration add-ons for fans, drives, etc with rubber cut to size. The GPU mod on that video works as well :)

finally, try controlling your fans, don't just plug them straight and have them at full tilt.

making your own anti-vibration add-ons for fans, drives, etc with rubber cut to size.

try controlling your fans, don't just plug them straight and have them at full tilt.

i might try that and setting fan speed is the first thing i did btw :P

Well, the first thing I would do is isolate whats creating each and every sound....so first, i'd disconnect everything thats not critical for the computer to boot up -- so I would disconnect all fans (including the cpu fan -- although do keep an eye on temps while doing this part), the GPU, and the HDD.

Sources of noise:

Do you have a window? Is the window loose?

PSU, GPU, AIO pump (if you have an AIO), and case fans.

I have a window above my PC... I will try isolating different elements see whats noisy and whats not.

i think one of the chasis fans may be dying(the one below PSU).. should i replace it or is there a way to fix it?

Main - SPEEDTEST
CPU AMD FX-8350 | RAM Kingston HyperX 12GB @1866MHz | GPU Gigabyte HD 7850 | Mobo Asrock 970 Extreme3 R2.0 | HDD 1863GB Seagate ST2000DM001-1CH164 | PSU 550W | Case VENTO A8
CPU AMD Ahlon II X2 260 | RAM 2x2GB @1333MHz | GPU Sapphire HD 3650 | Mobo Gigabyte 78LMT-S2P | HDD 500GB | PSU 500W | 1998 Case
I support AMD because I support competition in the hardware market. We all know if the "other guys" had a complete monopoly, things wouldn't get any better for ANYONE..

i might try that and setting fan speed is the first thing i did btw :P

I have a window above my PC... I will try isolating different elements see whats noisy and whats not.

i think one of the chasis fans may be dying(the one below PSU).. should i replace it or is there a way to fix it?

depends on the fan dual ball bearings = fixable, but cheap sleeves aren't really fixable

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

Is the PC old?

Older PC's tend to have their fans connected with screws, while newer ones use rubberized mounts to ensure that the computer case doesn't vibrate.

If your PC's use is just simple things like internet browsing, feel free to buy cheap fans.

If you want to keep it quiet, search for the Be Quiet! Pure Wings 2 (no pun intended).

Costs not more than 13 (insert currency here), and you will get decent performance with good silence.

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

Is the PC old?

Sorry for the late response! I didn't get the notification for some reason.

No, the PC is not that old.. Probably 3 or 4 years. The case fan below the PSU has some relatively wide metallic screws.

Maybe I should change that? I don't really have much of a budget right now so I might use some stuff from a 1998 build with a broken mobo from my brother :P

Another question: I live in a very old house were temperatures are 5ºC - 20ºC most of the time and theres a lot of humidity. Are fan filters worth it? I saw some in a spanish online store ranging from 2€ to 10€

edit: simply removed the noisy fan to finally get rid of this loud vibration noise. did a few stress test to check if it was safe and didnt go above 40ºC :)

Main - SPEEDTEST

Sorry for the late response! I didn't get the notification for some reason.

No, the PC is not that old.. Probably 3 or 4 years. The case fan below the PSU has some relatively wide metallic screws.

Maybe I should change that? I don't really have much of a budget right now so I might use some stuff from a 1998 build with a broken mobo from my brother :P

Another question: I live in a very old house were temperatures are 5ºC - 20ºC most of the time and theres a lot of humidity. Are fan filters worth it? I saw some in a spanish online store ranging from 2€ to 10€

edit: simply removed the noisy fan to finally get rid of this loud vibration noise. did a few stress test to check if it was safe and didnt go above 40ºC :)

Fan filters are meant to make sure that dust can't get into the case, thus keeping the PC cleaner. (Don't be afraid to ask these kind of questions, I used to be kinda new too :P)

Let me give you a list of things that CAN be noisy, and if you have any questions with them @sage78 , just ask away!

• Power Supply Unit
  • Harddrives (not SSD's, only harddrives)
  • Case fans / water cooling
  • GPU (if this one is self-cooled)
  • CPU Cooler
  • Case vibrations (caused by not using rubberized mounts with the case fans and Harddrives)

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

Use rubber bands to attach fans instead of screws.

post-84472-0-15560400-1423919461_thumb.j

attach the bands to the screw holes in the case (thread it through the hole and then through itself. That way the fan doesn't tough the case at all), then thread through the fan's mounting holes and attach together with a staple or something.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Fan filters are meant to make sure that dust can't get into the case, thus keeping the PC cleaner. (Don't be afraid to ask these kind of questions, I used to be kinda new too :P)

Let me give you a list of things that CAN be noisy, and if you have any questions with them @sage78 , just ask away!

Aight so fan filters might actually be pretty useful in my house :D right the noise have been greatly reduced since the chassis fan i removed was the main source of that.. only thing slightly noisy is the stock CPU fan that came with my AMD FX

this is interesting, will give it a try

Main - SPEEDTEST

Aight so fan filters might actually be pretty useful in my house :D right the noise have been greatly reduced since the chassis fan i removed was the main source of that.. only thing slightly noisy is the stock CPU fan that came with my AMD FX

this is interesting, will give it a try

Go to Be Quiet!, they've got really good and silent case fans.

Also, for the CPU cooler, you can or replace the cooler (remember to search how to remove the thermal paste), or get a silence orientated case. See what's the cheapest!

Basic guide to CPU's!

attachicon.gifIMG_0026.JPG

attach the bands to the screw holes in the case (thread it through the hole and then through itself. That way the fan doesn't tough the case at all), then thread through the fan's mounting holes and attach together with a staple or something.

That is very ghetto, I've never seen this option before but if money is tight then I guess it can work, but you can buy a pack of rubber pins (fan mounts) for £5.

Only mentioning this because I would not be happy having a staple / band solution with my fans, if the band snaps which does happen, you then have a chance that the band and staple could enter the fan and break the whole thing. Not worth the risk when the proper solution costs £5.

Azure Fists - "Grown men playing with each other since 2009"

Spoiler
Spoiler

CPU : Intel® Core™ i5-4590T, OS : Windows 10 64bit + Custom Alienware Console Interface, GPU : NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 860M 2GB GDDR5, RAM : 8GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600MHz, SSD : Kingston V300 240GB, WIFI : Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 2x2 + Bluetooth 4.0, CASE : Alienware Alpha, PSU : External Power Brick, MOBO : Custom Dell Motherboard.

Spoiler

CPU : i5 6600, Mobo : Asus Z97i-Plus, RAM : 16GB DDR4 3000mhz Corsair Vengeance LED, GPU : Gigabyte G1 GTX 1080, Case : Silverstone RVZ02, Storage : SanDisk 1TB M.2, PSU : Silverstone Strider SST-SX700-LG, Display(s) : AOC Q2963PM 29" IPS Ultra Wide 21:9, Fans : Noctua NH-L9i with Be Quiet Pure Wings 2, Keyboard : Razer Blackwidow Stealth 2015, Mouse : Razer Naga 2015, Sound : LG Wireless Soundbar /Razer Kraken Pro, OS : Windows 10

That is very ghetto, I've never seen this option before but if money is tight then I guess it can work, but you can buy a pack of rubber pins (fan mounts) for £5.

Only mentioning this because I would not be happy having a staple / band solution with my fans, if the band snaps which does happen, you then have a chance that the band and staple could enter the fan and break the whole thing. Not worth the risk when the proper solution costs £5.

You're right actually. I'm still looking for a good solution that isn't buying pins because my wooden case is made of 6mm thick material and the pins wouldn't stay in place. Thinking about cutting up an inner tube because the butyl-based rubber is more resistant to snapping after a while. So far after almost a year of use only one band has snapped so it's not such a big deal.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Turning my pc usually makes it pretty quiet. But seriosuly, lower your fan speeds, maybe buy a cheap fan controller.

i5 3570k @ 4.9 ghz/1.27 volts, Asus P8Z77-V LK8 Gb Corsair 1600mhzGigabyte Windforce R9 290 1140/1625, Silverstone RV02, Kingston V300 120 gb, 1 TB WD Blue HDD,Seagate barracuda, Evga Supernova 750 G2Hyper 212 EvoWindows 8.1, K70 Red LED Blue switch, Razer Deathadder 2012, Sennehiser HD 598

Just something about the rubber bands thing...those things do dry out and crack and will eventually give...something to keep in mind.

I cant say the idea of a live fan falling in my case and hitting..whatever on the way down is very pleasing to think about. it will prbably take a while (depends how old the bands are) but it will happen.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Turning my pc usually makes it pretty quiet. But seriosuly, lower your fan speeds, maybe buy a cheap fan controller.

I had too many fans for what I have. I removed 2 chassis fan and its not that noisy now :) also set the fans to auto so that they only speed up when CPU or GPU gets too hot

now the only noisy PC is my old PC and I dont really use that unless I have a friend over for some LAN goodness so its not really a big deal. ^^

Main - SPEEDTEST