Gaming Laptop for College

flimsy888

Looking for a Gaming laptop for school. Trying to keep price under $2000 and have battery life between 4-6hrs doing light tasks (Not Gaming). I was looking at the GS60 Ghost (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152656), but read the battery life kind sucked. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks! :D

i7-4770K, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus VI Hero, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB, Samsung 840 120GB, 2xSeagate Barracuda 1TB, EVGA GeForce GTX 780 ACX Cooler, NZXT Phantom 820, Corsair Professional 750W 80 PLUS Gold, 2xASUS VH238H Build Log- http://bit.ly/1bWZKu6

What you had picked out was what I was going to suggest...

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

So little storage for the price though...

i7-4770K, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus VI Hero, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB, Samsung 840 120GB, 2xSeagate Barracuda 1TB, EVGA GeForce GTX 780 ACX Cooler, NZXT Phantom 820, Corsair Professional 750W 80 PLUS Gold, 2xASUS VH238H Build Log- http://bit.ly/1bWZKu6

Yeah the MSI notebook would be better.

But, battery life...is it really that bad?

Looking for a Gaming laptop for school. Trying to keep price under $2000 and have battery life between 4-6hrs doing light tasks (Not Gaming). I was looking at the GS60 Ghost (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152656), but read the battery life kind sucked. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks! :D

Gaming notebooks don't have particularly great battery life unless you put in some elbow grease. That being said, have you looked at any of the Clevos? I'm sure you could get a 970M and a SSD + at least 2 years warranty and a 1TB HDD for $2000.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

SNIP

Some other recommendations

Alienware 13

Aorus X3

Gigabyte p35x

GS60 Ghost

Razer Blade

15" retina pro

clevo (various models)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Gaming notebooks don't have particularly great battery life unless you put in some elbow grease. That being said, have you looked at any of the Clevos? I'm sure you could get a 970M and a SSD + at least 2 years warranty and a 1TB HDD for $2000.

Where can I find these clevos laptops?

ALIENWARE 13

I currently have an aliebware, its just too bulky...

Where can I find these clevos laptops?

Assuming in the USA: http://www.xoticpc.com/custom-gaming-laptops-notebooks-clevo-sager-notebooks-ct-95_51_162.html

particular model I was talking about http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8651-clevo-p650se-p-7690.html?wconfigure=yes

http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8268s-clevo-p150sma-p-6987.html?wconfigure=yesother, bit bulkier model but a bit better cooling and 6GB GPU.

Both should be able to manage 3-4 hours of battery if not doing much, especially if you tweak the CPU down a bit on battery.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

You are going to be giving up a lot of convenience and performance getting a gaming notebook. They tend to be loud, heavy and have short battery life. 

If you are dead set on a gaming notebook I wouldn't recommend any brand but Alienware. People will list MSi and various brands using Clevos but Alienware is respectable and comes with great service and a great warranty. If anything breaks (And that is a possibility because of the nature of laptops) Dell will send a technician to you. This is extremely valuable in college. It's the difference between being without a laptop for a day or two weeks with some of the other brands. 

Alienware's are big and thick but that's to allow airflow and as such when I had an Alienware I was able to overclock it pretty significantly with little increase in heat. 

That said, I now have a desktop and a Macbook pro with retina display. The gaming performance on the desktop will destroy any gaming laptop and my macbook is awesome for school. It's super light, has a gorgeous screen and a great touchpad and is a joy to use. I realize my entire setup is probably closer to $4000 because of the monitor and macbook but I'd urge to look into cheaper $500-600 laptop (dell or HP) and then building a desktop for about $1400 for a good balance of both. Believe me carrying a gaming laptop to and from lectures is not fun. 

If you are dead set on a gaming notebook I wouldn't recommend any brand but Alienware. 

Alienware's are big and thick but that's to allow airflow and as such when I had an Alienware I was able to overclock it pretty significantly with little increase in heat. 

You quite obviously have not seen the new alienware line.

You quite obviously have not seen the new alienware line.

No I admit I haven't. It's been a long time since I've owned a gaming laptop or visited Notebook review. My recommendation is going off the quality of the m14, 17, 18x models which was superb. I think I briefly saw a newer m14 in person but it didn't seem much different chassis wise aside from the lights and color. 

No I admit I haven't. It's been a long time since I've owned a gaming laptop or visited Notebook review. My recommendation is going off the quality of the m14, 17, 18x models which was superb. I think I briefly saw a newer m14 in person but it didn't seem much different chassis wise aside from the lights and color. 

Yeah the M17x and M18x became the AW17 and AW18, and the AW18 has since been axed, and the AW17 R2 is thinner and lighter and uses HQ CPUs (which if you read my CPU guide you'll find out are TDP-locked pieces of crap)

Yeah the M17x and M18x became the AW17 and AW18, and the AW18 has since been axed, and the AW17 R2 is thinner and lighter and uses HQ CPUs (which if you read my CPU guide you'll find out are TDP-locked pieces of crap)

That saddens me to hear. I had a great deal of respect for Alienware/Dell. I used to get very nice discounts on systems and anytime anything broke I'd have it fixed in a day (they take customer service very seriously). I even bought mobile gpus from them and upgraded my m17x twice to newer graphics cards. 

I still would probably buy an Alienware just out of loyalty if I was in the market for a gaming laptop (I'm not). 

You are going to be giving up a lot of convenience and performance getting a gaming notebook. They tend to be loud, heavy and have short battery life. 

If you are dead set on a gaming notebook I wouldn't recommend any brand but Alienware. People will list MSi and various brands using Clevos but Alienware is respectable and comes with great service and a great warranty. If anything breaks (And that is a possibility because of the nature of laptops) Dell will send a technician to you. This is extremely valuable in college. It's the difference between being without a laptop for a day or two weeks with some of the other brands. 

That said, I now have a desktop and a Macbook pro with retina display. The gaming performance on the desktop will destroy any gaming laptop and my macbook is awesome for school. It's super light, has a gorgeous screen and a great touchpad and is a joy to use. I realize my entire setup is probably closer to $4000 because of the monitor and macbook but I'd urge to look into cheaper $500-600 laptop (dell or HP) and then building a desktop for about $1400 for a good balance of both. Believe me carrying a gaming laptop to and from lectures is not fun. 

What would you suggest that isn't really "gaming", but more ultrabook...

What would you suggest that isn't really "gaming", but more ultrabook...

Obviously best case scenario pick up a Macbook with retina display in my opinion. You can't beat the combination of build quality and use at $1000. Once you use a macbook track pad you won't want to ever use any other trackpad again. The multitouch glass trackpad is a thing of beauty. 

If you want to go the windows route I'm not as well versed in windows laptops as I was a couple years ago. I've always been a big fan of Lenovo and Dell so you may want to look at those brands or wait and see if anyone else offers input. Since you're a student I'd give Dell a call. They can give really really nice discounts for students that aren't found on their website.