Is my motherboard damaged at all?

Go to solution Solved by ProKoN,

its all good.

board should be fine.

no need to over torque this stuff

Hey guys so I was taking my build apart to put inside a new case and when I unscrewed the screw one of the motherboard mounting screws, I found the metal around the screw hole had been crushed by the tightness of the screw (That sounded really wrong...)

Is my motherboard damaged in any way? Can I screw it into the case without that metal stuff there? Is it going to cause problems?

On some of the other screws there is less metal left than this screw.

Sorry about the photo, I used my potato hero 4 noise edition

post-188941-0-10870400-1422950971.jpg

Thanks in advance!

its all good.

board should be fine.

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

not to worry about that

unless your mobo has cracks on the circuit

it will still run fine

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

It is fine.

The area around the screw hole is designed to take a bit more of a beating than the rest of the board.

Just don't over tighten the screw, make sure it is fastened nicely without being so tight that you struggle to undo it.

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

Hey guys so I was taking my build apart to put inside a new case and when I unscrewed the screw one of the motherboard mounting screws, I found the metal around the screw hole had been crushed by the tightness of the screw (That sounded really wrong...)

Is my motherboard damaged in any way? Can I screw it into the case without that metal stuff there? Is it going to cause problems?

On some of the other screws there is less metal left than this screw.

Sorry about the photo, I used my potato hero 4 noise edition

attachicon.gif2015-02-03 19.03.38.jpg

Thanks in advance!

That is normal. The mobo does this to ground itself with the case, I believe. Regardless of the reason why, all boards do this so nothing to worry about  :D

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

its all good.

board should be fine.

not to worry about that

unless your mobo has cracks on the circuit

it will still run fine

Ok, thanks guys!

You guys sure that it won't cause problems or crack the mobo if there is little or no metal left?

I made it pretty tight because my noctua heatsink is very heavy, I'll be sure not to do it so tight from now