Buy a i7-4790k or wait for Broadwell-E

Personally I would wait, but that's just me. 

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

Should i go ahead and buy a cpu now or wait?

if you already have a z97 board i would wait for broadwell, since its the last cpu generation before skylake, and skylake will run on a new socket and ddr4, if you dont have a z97 board then wait for skylake

Are you new to the forums???? read the Code of Conduct HERE WANT SOME AWESOME LTT THEMED WALLPAPERS??? check out XTanksSlayerX's wallpaper thread HERE 

"May our framerates be high, and our temperatures low" - PC MasterRace

What? Buy it now. Q3 2016 is a year+ away. By then you should have enough to upgrade....

It says Q3 of this year OR 2016.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

if you already have a z97 board i would wait for broadwell, since its the last cpu generation before skylake, and skylake will run on a new socket and ddr4, if you dont have a z97 board then wait for skylake

LGA 1151 will not be exclusively DDR4.

"Rawr XD"

1. What do you have right now?

2. Is what you have right now inadequate for your needs?

3. If so, how soon do you need to replace it with something that will be adequate for your needs?

Buy what makes sense when you need an upgrade. If you have hardware that is good enough for what you do, upgrading just because something else is slightly newer is a waste of money.

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

Personally I would wait, but that's just me.

yeah cause i want see the pricing and banchmarks of both the 380x and 390x as well as the 980 ti if the all are released in q2.

no building my first system in the next two or three months.

It says Q3 of this year OR 2016.

yes as in q3 of 2015 or the first quarter of 2016 it has not been confirmed yet.

LGA 1151 will not be exclusively DDR4.

so it will be backwards compatible with ddr3?

so it will be backwards compatible with ddr3?

Some boards will be DDR3, some will be DDR4.

"Rawr XD"

for skylake or broadwell?

Skylake. Broadwell will use existing LGA1150

This isn't the first time we've seen this. LGA775 actually went through three RAM generations. The early 775 boards were DDR1, most of the mainstream ones were DDR2, and some later higher-end ones were DDR3.

"Rawr XD"

This isn't the first time we've seen this. LGA775 actually went through three RAM generations. The early 775 boards were DDR1, most of the mainstream ones were DDR2, and some later higher-end ones were DDR3.

ok thanks.

hard to find LGA775 G41 combo (ddr2 & ddr3)

that would be fun to see in skylake (ddr3 & ddr4)  :D

Should i go ahead and buy a cpu now or wait?

that would depend on your needs NOW...

if you can still make the wait after reviews of skylake, you can choose by then what would work best for you

it depends, I doubt there will be a huge improvement, if you care for the intel gpu, ít may save you some energy savings. other wise I'd expect a slightly lower tdp over all and maybe 5% better performance.

hard to find LGA775 G41 combo (ddr2 & ddr3)

that would be fun to see in skylake (ddr3 & ddr4)  :D

I meant that some boards are DDR, some are DDR2, and DDR3 :P

But yeah there were some boards with two different RAM types, but only one type could be used at a time. I don't think there were many (or even any) that used both DDR2 and DDR3, but I had one before that used DDR and DDR2.

"Rawr XD"

id upgrade now.. theres such little difference in generations of CPUs its almost pointless paying the price premium for the newer tech.

Im running a i5 2500k which is only marginally slower than a 4670k which is 3+years newer. and the both run even closer when overclocked. Only if power consumption is an issue would i get the new version...

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

Wait for unlocked Skylake

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

Personally, I would wait and get Broadwell. It's only a few months away now that I think of it. Holy crap, it's February already?!

PC and Peripherals:

Intel Core i3 4150 @3.5GHz - ASRock H97M Anniversary - Kingston Fury HyperX Black 8GB DDR3 @1866MHz - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 G1 Gaming 2GB GDDR5 - EVGA 500W 80+ Certified - WD Caviar Blue 1TB - WD Caviar Blue 160GB - Lian Li PC-50 - Linux Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS - Acer P221w 21.5" 1680x1050 60Hz - Kingston Fury HyperX Clouds - Razer Deathadder 3.5G - CM Storm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues