4GB GTX 760 vs 2GB 960 for VideoEditing

TechnoTony

Hello, I'm wondering whether I should invest in a GTX 960 or 760 for video-editing. From first view, this seems, quite seems quite obvious, the 960 is similarly priced and newer, but upon further investigation, I found that the 960 is limited to 2GB of RAM while the 760 has 4GB. I use Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects for video-editing, so would I benefit more from an older GPU with more RAM and a 256 bit interface or a newer card with a more efficient processor, but less RAM. What is your opinion? 2GB 960 or 4GB 760... 

Tony T

Hello, I'm wondering whether I should invest in a GTX 960 or 760 for video-editing. From first view, this seems, quite seems quite obvious, the 960 is similarly priced and newer, but upon further investigation, I found that the 960 is limited to 2GB of RAM while the 760 has 4GB. I use Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects for video-editing, so would I benefit more from an older GPU with more RAM and a 256 bit interface or a newer card with a more efficient processor, but less RAM. What is your opinion? 2GB 960 or 4GB 760... 

The 760 has more CUDA cores, so it'd perform better in CUDA-based acceleration that is offered in most editing suites. 

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

The 760 has more CUDA cores, so it'd perform better in CUDA-based acceleration that is offered in most editing suites. 

k, Thanks

Tony T

For now don't get a 9 series card, as they seem to be incompatible with a lot of software for video rendering. My GTX970 is useless in Vegas pro and Adobe Premiere.

k, Thanks

Have you considered AMDs offerings? 

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Have you considered AMDs offerings? 

According to Adobe's site, Creative Suite it will only use CUDA acceleration.

Tony T

According to Adobe's site, Creative Suite it will only use CUDA acceleration.

I guess it depends on which version, Creative Suite CC can use either OpenCL or CUDA http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/system-requirements.html

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

I use CS6 and appeatantly, it ahs changed since the last time I checked. I assume an R9 280 be pretty similar...

Sorry to add to the confusion, but according to that link CS6 only supports:

• GeForce GTX 285 (Windows and Mac OS)
  • GeForce GTX 470 (Windows)
  • GeForce GTX 570 (Windows)
  • GeForce GTX 580 (Windows)
  • NVIDIA® Tesla C2075 card (Windows) when paired with a Quadro card as part of an NVIDIA Maximus™ configuration
  • Quadro FX 3700M (Windows)
  • Quadro FX 3800 (Windows)
  • Quadro FX 3800M (Windows)
  • Quadro FX 4800 (Windows and Mac OS)
  • Quadro FX 5800 (Windows)
  • Quadro 2000 (Windows)
  • Quadro 2000D (Windows)
  • Quadro 2000M (Windows)
  • Quadro 3000M (Windows)
  • Quadro 4000 (Windows and Mac OS)
  • Quadro 4000M (Windows)
  • Quadro 5000 (Windows)
  • Quadro 5000M (Windows)
  • Quadro 5010M (Windows)
  • Quadro 6000 (Windows)
  • Quadro CX (Windows)
  • Tesla C2075** (Windows)

To be quite honest, I'm not too certain about GPU acceleration in CS6, so hopefully someone experienced with it can accurately answer.

15" MBP TB

I don't know where you're even finding a 4 GB GTX 760 on sale anymore. But if the prices I'm seeing are anything to go by, you could nearly buy an R9 280X or R9 290. It was a silly product when it was available, and it's even sillier with today's prices.

If the plan is to get a used one, I'd advise against it. You never know how much Bitcoin mining abuse an eBay card has been through before you get your hands on it.

I don't know where you're even finding a 4 GB GTX 760 on sale anymore. But if the prices I'm seeing are anything to go by, you could nearly buy an R9 280X or R9 290. It was a silly product when it was available, and it's even sillier with today's prices.

If the plan is to get a used one, I'd advise against it. You never know how much Bitcoin mining abuse an eBay card has been through before you get your hands on it.

I am aware, that the 290 is similarly priced (right now, the 760 4gb is $320). The only opne in stock I found is at Canada Computers

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=43_1200_557_559&item_id=066311

Now, I'm wondering should I go with a 280X or 290 and upgrade to Creative Cloud (which is monthly subscription...)

Tony T

what's wrong with a 280x?

Fujitsu Celsius 380W: i5 650 @ 3.2 Ghz | FUJITSU D2917-A1 | 4GB RAM 1333Mhz | ASUS GTX 750 TI Strix OC Edition | Fujitsu Case | 380W Fujitsu PSU | 250GB HDD | Windows 7 64 bit | Dell P2214H

Rekty Shrekty 

For now don't get a 9 series card, as they seem to be incompatible with a lot of software for video rendering. My GTX970 is useless in Vegas pro and Adobe Premiere.

Really? Mine seem to do fine...

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

I thought 7XX series was discontinued? 

Regular human bartender...Jackie Daytona.

Sony Vegas Pro 13.

and while your rendering your sure it uses your gpu? 

and while your rendering your sure it uses your gpu? 

I'm not entirely sure, but I've never had an issue so I've never really checked.. :lol:

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

Sony Vegas Pro 13.

Sony Vegas Pro is not part of Adobe Creative Suite 6 or Adobe Creative Cloud. GPU support is up to the developer.

The supported list for CS6 ends with the 580 so might be time to upgrade to CC...

Tony T