Best OS for a predominantly storage server

LukaP

Well my friend is thinking of setting up a box to have remote access to his files, as well as host a small website. which OS would be the best to start, and not be too limited for him to also learn the more complicated stuff later on?

I was thinking either Ubuntu Server or Windows Server, but i have no idea about these things, so id rather ask the gurus here for an opinion :P

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Look up OpenMediaVault its debain based and you can install addons to add support for wordpress etc. Also functions as a personal cloud/NAS etc.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

When I read storage server I though about FreeNAS... but I'm pretty certain that can't work for website hosting

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

Look up OpenMediaVault its debain based and you can install addons to add support for wordpress etc. Also functions as a personal cloud/NAS etc.

The website will be written by me, i just need to be able to run PHP on it :) so if this is something that he can expand his coding knowledge with, ill definitely take a look :) thank you

When I read storage server I though about FreeNAS... but I'm pretty certain that can't work for website hosting

nope :/

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

xubuntu, it's easy to run and is MILES better than windows at managing file systems.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

xubuntu, it's easy to run and is MILES better than windows at managing file systems.

hmmm, thought so, so its basically ubuntu server with the X(whatever) UI over it?

I am liking windows server essentials  myself but its not cheap

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I am liking windows server essentials  myself but its not cheap

when i made this thread i was like, i wonder if shadowcap will post... well damn :P

he has dreamspark ;)

hmmm, thought so, so its basically ubuntu server with the X(whatever) UI over it?

well it's just vanilla ubuntu with XFCE as a gui. It's lighter than unity, the stock interface. Or you could get ubuntu server, whip up a terminal, type "sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop", insert your password, then let it install nd choose the xubuntu interface at login.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

well it's just vanilla ubuntu with XFCE as a gui. It's lighter than unity, the stock interface. Or you could get ubuntu server, whip up a terminal, type "sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop", insert your password, then let it install nd choose the xubuntu interface at login.

yeah yeah, i know how it works, been using kubuntu for my coding needs since 10.4 :P

when i made this thread i was like, i wonder if shadowcap will post... well damn :P

he has dreamspark ;)

Ah :) well I got mine free from a friend who has access to all MS software for free too :D

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Ah :) well I got mine free from a friend who has access to all MS software for free too :D

and how is it, newb friendlyness wise? and when he gets more proficient, will he have to change OS?

and how is it, newb friendlyness wise? and when he gets more proficient, will he have to change OS?

its just like using windows 8, I even have start 8 installed on it :D so it runs just as you expect

Super easy, I have 0 experience with servers/nas etc and im managing just fine

its just like using windows 8, I even have start 8 installed on it :D so it runs just as you expect

Super easy, I have 0 experience with servers/nas etc and im managing just fine

hmm, sounds interesting. well ill go read on the three that were suggested, and decide what to use :P

hmm, sounds interesting. well ill go read on the three that were suggested, and decide what to use :P

Yeah well I like to keep things simple and its nice using the same platform, its really easy to troubleshoot and there is decent support

I would choose an Arch base with only the necessary ~150 packages then have the drives in a Btrfs array using the latest rolling kernel. Everything else such as Samba, NFS, Bittorrent, Nginx, PHP-FPM, Monitorix, etc will be containerized using Docker.

I have absolutely no idea what any words in this post mean

I have absolutely no idea what any words in this post mean

i do, but since i dont want to be a tech support 24/7 when he does something wrong and has no idea what to even google for, ill go abit more imple