Qpad QH-85 open vs. Hyperx Cloud II closed

Hey guys,

i am thinking of buying a new gaming headset, and since i have basically no idea of good audio products i might need a little help ;)

First, i don't really want to use headphones and an additional modmic, so i am stuck with "real" gaming headsets which i think are generally not that great when it comes to audio quality..

By searching the internet, i found out that the Hyperx Cloud is one of the only gaming headsets considered to have good audio quality.

In February, there is a new version coming out with some changes to the original one, mainly virtual 7.1 surround sound.

But the Cloud is just a rebranding of the Qpad QH-90, which also has an open brother, the Qpad QH-85.

This of course has no virtual 7.1 surround sound, but open headsets have a better soundstage i guess.

Besides of the open design instead of a closed one, those two headsets should be pretty identical.

Maybe the QH-85s don't have the inline "box" with volume and mute..

In my case i would use those headsets mainly for gaming and listening to music in relatively quiet environments.

So my question is, which one would you pick? Is an open headset better for gaming or can a closed headset with virtual surround compete?

(The price doesn't matter that much because here in Germany the Qpad QH-85 and the Hyperx Cloud I both cost the same).

Or would you recommend a totally different headset in the price range between 80-100€?

Thanks for your help! :)

Do you care about people hearing the sound from your music or games? Open headsets leak sound and allow you to hear others clearly which may be a good thing or bad thing. The closed versions will help block out sound and will not allow others to hear what you are listening to.

I wouldn't care that much about sound leaking in or out.

Do you have experience with the differences of audio quality of open vs. closed headsets?

• 4 weeks later...

Do you have experience with the differences of audio quality of open vs. closed headsets?

Hi, not sure if you're still looking for an answer but I actually do have experience and found this thread by googling since I'm trying to decide on a QPAD QH-85 myself.

Basically, I used to be a primarily stereo sound gamer, if not using speakers. So when I finally upgraded to a Logitech G930 surround sound headset, I thought it was the best sound I could ever hear. But I had issues with the headset, being wireless was nice but I was having too many issues for me to justify it. I asked around looking for something and I was repeatedly suggested to start using open headphones. I decided on the Sennheiser HD 558's which are great and comfortable for listening to music but the thing is they don't have a mic and the modmic wasn't sticking properly to my headset so that was out of the question. They deliver the same, if not better sound than the Logitech G930's and the best part was is that I could plug it into my phone and get the same sound, or my macbook. I didn't have to worry about any USB drivers or anything. Basically, how I'd rate types of headphones (as of now) goes as follows. 

Good Open > Good Surround > Good Stereo > Cheaper Stereo.

For open, I'm thinking Sennheisers. For Surround, G930's. For Stereo, HyperX Cloud, for Cheaper Stereo, Razer Electra.

That's my "comparison key" so you can get an idea. I really do like these 558's, however the only complaint I have is I can't edit the bass or anything without additional hardware/software, but it was "built" into the logitech software/drivers.

Open sound more natural and have better positioning usually. Closed have more thump in the bass and sound more like the sound is coming from in your head. Which is best is a matter of preference.

Edit: ewww thread necro....

@Craider Astro could use my likeness on a poster for the A40 with no royalties.   Insanely comfortable and excellent gaming sound.  

Astro could use my likeness on a poster for the A40 with no royalties.   Insanely comfortable and excellent gaming sound.  

"gaming" "sound"

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Hi, not sure if you're still looking for an answer but I actually do have experience and found this thread by googling since I'm trying to decide on a QPAD QH-85 myself.

Basically, I used to be a primarily stereo sound gamer, if not using speakers. So when I finally upgraded to a Logitech G930 surround sound headset, I thought it was the best sound I could ever hear. But I had issues with the headset, being wireless was nice but I was having too many issues for me to justify it. I asked around looking for something and I was repeatedly suggested to start using open headphones. I decided on the Sennheiser HD 558's which are great and comfortable for listening to music but the thing is they don't have a mic and the modmic wasn't sticking properly to my headset so that was out of the question. They deliver the same, if not better sound than the Logitech G930's and the best part was is that I could plug it into my phone and get the same sound, or my macbook. I didn't have to worry about any USB drivers or anything. Basically, how I'd rate types of headphones (as of now) goes as follows. 

Good Open > Good Surround > Good Stereo > Cheaper Stereo.

For open, I'm thinking Sennheisers. For Surround, G930's. For Stereo, HyperX Cloud, for Cheaper Stereo, Razer Electra.

That's my "comparison key" so you can get an idea. I really do like these 558's, however the only complaint I have is I can't edit the bass or anything without additional hardware/software, but it was "built" into the logitech software/drivers.

The Sennheiser HD558s do look compelling, but I'd have to get an additinal microphone which i didn't want to in the first place. ;)

I actually bought the Hyperx Cloud II, which have virtual 7.1 surround sound instead of stereo like the first Cloud. The main reasons why i chose the Cloud II over the QH-85s were the additional accessories, the single 4-pole 3.5" connector instead of 2 3-pole connectors (so no connector hanging around when listening to music on a phone or tablet) and the overall looks. And I'm very happy with them, the audio quality is great (at least for what i can tell).

@Craider Astro could use my likeness on a poster for the A40 with no royalties.   Insanely comfortable and excellent gaming sound.  

The A40s are a little bit over my price range, but thanks for the suggestion!

Is there a point to that reply? 

What the hell is gaming sound?

I'm assuming it's something like painting flames on a Yugo and calling it a race car.

Is there a point to that reply? 

There's no difference in the sound various forms of media produce - it's all analog AC currents by the time it gets to the headphone driver.

I'm assuming it's something like painting flames on a Yugo and calling it a race car.

His point was you can race a Yugo, not that Yugos suck in races. 

There's no difference in the sound various forms of media produce - it's all analog AC currents by the time it gets to the headphone driver.

The OP asked about gaming headset.  He got an opinion about how it performs in-game.  

When some one asks for opinions about headphones for music, others that are ready to offer those opinions like ask what genre of music they listen to or will otherwise comment on the genre of music that <xxx> headphone is good for.  If you deny or want to argue about any of this you're even bigger idiots than you both made yourselves out to be already.  

If some one were to reply with something like, "The Sennheiser HD 800 headphones are good for FM radio but not opera" no one would reply saying "What the hell are you talking about?  Music is music because it's all analog AC currents creating sound waves that go into your ear.  It's all the same."   

In my opinion, the Astro A40 excel at video games and not so much with music.    He asked for an opinion about video game headsets, and he got one.  Stop acting like your opinions are any better than any one else's. 

Thanks for the replies everyone!

The Sennheiser HD558s do look compelling, but I'd have to get an additinal microphone which i didn't want to in the first place. ;)

I actually bought the Hyperx Cloud II, which have virtual 7.1 surround sound instead of stereo like the first Cloud. The main reasons why i chose the Cloud II over the QH-85s were the additional accessories, the single 4-pole 3.5" connector instead of 2 3-pole connectors (so no connector hanging around when listening to music on a phone or tablet) and the overall looks. And I'm very happy with them, the audio quality is great (at least for what i can tell).

The A40s are a little bit over my price range, but thanks for the suggestion!

Wasn't necessarily suggesting you get the 558's, I was just using them as a comparison since they're the only open headphones I've used. I will admit having the Zalman ZM1 clip on mic on the cord is annoying because it doesn't accurately pick up my voice (without significant boost, which picks up my keyboard) and the mod mic wouldn't stick on the earcup.

Does the HyperX Cloud II have a detachable USB sound card thing or is it a standard USB connector? That's how the G930's were, but the g430's had a detachable USB sound card, so I was just wondering :)

> If you deny or want to argue about any of this you're even bigger idiots than you both made yourselves out to be already.  

> Stop acting like your opinions are any better than any one else's. 

Ok buddy.

The OP asked about gaming headset.  He got an opinion about how it performs in-game.  

To be honest I am not too sure there is a difference,  how can you talk about the virtues of a product without talking about how it performs at its purposed task? Or indeed if there even is a virtue to its purpose?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Wasn't necessarily suggesting you get the 558's, I was just using them as a comparison since they're the only open headphones I've used. I will admit having the Zalman ZM1 clip on mic on the cord is annoying because it doesn't accurately pick up my voice (without significant boost, which picks up my keyboard) and the mod mic wouldn't stick on the earcup.

Does the HyperX Cloud II have a detachable USB sound card thing or is it a standard USB connector? That's how the G930's were, but the g430's had a detachable USB sound card, so I was just wondering :)

The Hyperx Cloud II has a single 4-pole 3.5" connector and an additional virtual 7.1 surround USB sound card (with volume and microphone up and down, mute and surround on or off buttons). The sound card works well in Windows 7 without manually installing drivers, they all installed automatically. And it even worked on my Shield Tablet via an OTG cable (tried that just because i was curious :D).

When some one asks for opinions about headphones for music, others that are ready to offer those opinions like ask what genre of music they listen to or will otherwise comment on the genre of music that <xxx> headphone is good for.  If you deny or want to argue about any of this you're even bigger idiots than you both made yourselves out to be already.  

If some one were to reply with something like, "The Sennheiser HD 800 headphones are good for FM radio but not opera" no one would reply saying "What the hell are you talking about?  Music is music because it's all analog AC currents creating sound waves that go into your ear.  It's all the same."   

In my opinion, the Astro A40 excel at video games and not so much with music.    He asked for an opinion about video game headsets, and he got one.  Stop acting like your opinions are any better than any one else's. 

You are correct about headphones for music, but this, in fact, is not music. Any headphones with a wide soundstage will suffice for gaming. The actual quality can be absolute crap, as long as you can identify the sounds and the direction.

You are correct about headphones for music, but this, in fact, is not music. Any headphones with a wide soundstage will suffice for gaming. The actual quality can be absolute crap, as long as you can identify the sounds and the direction.

Not only that but the variation in sound quality from the myriad of different 3d engines makes choosing a specific sounding headset almost moot.  Razor sounds muddy, creative has a warbly ring to it, Asucks (that is all).  It's like trying to buy a set of headphones that are great for classic symphony, grunge rock, death metal and Swedish folk yodeling all at the same time,  ain't gonna happen.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

The actual quality can be absolute crap, as long as you can identify the sounds and the direction.

Unless you want to enjoy the game. 

Unless you want to enjoy the game. 

And that right there, is purely a matter of opinion.

And that right there, is purely a matter of opinion.

But your original statement was stated as an absolute, not as an opinion.