Snapchat introduces 'Discover'

iHammmy

All information taken directly from the tech crunch website.

Snapchat now has a Discover feature, which will let you see content from brands like ESPN, CNN, Vice and Warner Music. According to the blog post and video (embedded below), users will be able to watch daily stories compiled by artists, publishers, and even Snapchat’s own editorial staff. These stories will feature “full screen photos and videos, awesome long form layouts, and gorgeous advertising,” reads the post.

In other words, the new Discover page is an always-on, daily refreshed channel guide serving up disappearing content alongside brand advertisements. Media partners include National Geographic, Vice, Yahoo News, People, Daily Mail, Comedy Central, Cosmopolitan, CNN, Food Network, and ESPN.

This could be the most important feature update in the company’s history to date, especially if we’re talking about the startup’s goal to monetize the social network faster than has traditionally been the case.

This new Discover page puts media at the forefront of Snapchat’s product. Brands and publishers are delivering content to users as opposed to relying solely on content users create to power usage of the company. It comes at a crucial time as Snapchat starts to focus on advertising.

This is far from the first time we’ve heard of Snapchat Discover. We’ve seen Snapchat prepare for this in a few ways.

Snapchat started out as a friendship-based network, requiring at least one user to have the other’s phone number saved and then sending a request before content can be shared, but Our Stories was a new way for Snapchat to see how its users react to non-friend content.

Our Stories is a collaborative timeline that lets users at a specific event add their snap to an aggregated stream of content from that show, event, etc. People from all over the world then have the ability to watch that event play out live through the snaps being sent from users who are there.

Snapchat has also been preparing for the way in which brands will turn an ad into a conversion for them. For some brands, that will be all about pushing the user out to a website. But for folks selling music or movies, Snapchat needs a way to give users a path to purchase.

All the way back when Snapchat introduced My Story, in October 2013, the companyexperimented with a click-to-buy button that would appear just below the snap after it was consumed. For musical artists, this button sent you straight to the song’s listing on iTunes.

It’s unclear how Snapchat plans to distribute works with Discover (we’re looking deeper into the new feature as we speak), but we’ll be following along closely as Snapchat continues to venture into the media and advertising realms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbOMqA2AOIk

Sources:

http://techcrunch.com/2015/01/27/snapchat-launches-discover/

http://blog.snapchat.com/post/109302961090/introducing-discover

It seems impossible until it's done.

I don't get it. What's the point of this? I use Snapchat a lot but I don't get how this relates to it.

Me too! If I wanted to look at the news, then I would just get a news app...

Now if only snapchat would make a return on Windows Phone..

Thank god I'm getting a new phone soon.

Microsoft deleted the only working snapchat app, which was unofficial, but worked like a boss!

Me wants to snapchat again...

CPU: Intel i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig H5 Motherboard: ASrock Z97 Extreme4  RAM: Kingston HyperX Blu Black Series 8GB GPU: Powercolor R9 390 PCS+

Case Fans: 3X Phobya NB-Eloop 120mm in front + 1X Noiseblocker BlackSilentPRO 140mm, rear HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB  PSU: Corsair CX600M  Case: Corsair Air 540 ODD: LG Supermulti (Yeah whatever)  Monitors: LG25UM55-P, LG 22EN43

You mean snipshit?

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

Brazzers...maybe?  :P

This

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

should be a "I don't care." option in the poll.

"Hidden optical drive, crouching PC-builder."

should be a "I don't care." option in the poll.

If you don't care, then don't comment.

+1 for tolling.

If you don't care, then don't comment.

+1 for tolling.

What do you think about the new update?

--> "I don't care" ABOUT THE UPDATE. Not that I don't care to read about the news lol. An option for the poll, for those that use snapchat, but don't care about the feature.

"Hidden optical drive, crouching PC-builder."

What do you think about the new update?

--> "I don't care" ABOUT THE UPDATE. Not that I don't care to read about the news lol. An option for the poll, for those that use snapchat, but don't care about the feature.

+2 for trolling