Asus x99-A XEON question

Go to solution Solved by shanky887614,

Thank you

Asus doesnt post CPU support list on their site just the family of processors supported, and xeon dont appear just "22nm processors and i7"

I could go for an MSI, but i really like ASUS IDK why

they do list them on there site.

i recently looked at my board p8z68-vlx and it shows the model e.g. the i7 3770 i put in the other week.

its under "support" then cpu list. it will tell you which bios revision supports a certain chip as well

518aaf3cbc88ac8dacbc53bd2066be37.jpgc4de943a02a803c1e8dc2efc09755d5c.jpg

Hi,

Im building a new PC for 3d modeling and rendering mainly. 1 or 2 image renders a day.

Im going with x99-A from asus, a 5820k and a gtx 970 (no quadro, too expensive for the porpose), I think is ok...?

On the asus website x99-A doesnt say it is compatible with xeon processors http://www.asus.com/pt/Motherboards/X99A/specifications/

when i see MSI and GIGABYTE boards at the same price that say are compatible with xeon e5 16xx and 26xx v3

Is it the x99-A compatible with xeons as well? Just for future proofing. And will there be realeased any more CPUs for 2011-v3 in the future?

Thank You

No, the X99 chipset is different from 2011. Therefore Xeons will not work with it, and I doubt there will be more CPU's for the 2011-v3 socket

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

There will be.

Intel has confirmed a new set of Xeon processors for 2011-V3 including a 18 Core Xeon.

Make sure the Xeon you are choosing is a 2011-V3 socket however.

| Intel i7 5820K @ 4.8GHz | G.Skill Ripjaws 4X4GB | X99 PRO | HoF 980 | Asus MX299Q | Sennheiser HD600 |

I am going with the 5820K for now. The socket is 2011-v3 on Asus x99-A

is says on CPU support list: 

Intel® Socket 2011-v3 Core™ i7 Processadores 

Suporta Intel® 22 nm CPU
Suporta tecnologia Intel® Turbo Boost 
* Suporte Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0

I am trying to figure out if x99 is the best option to buy. Or should i go with z97 4790k

I believe 2011-v3 is compatible with xeons e5 16xx and 26xx processors

It is kinda urgent, i am going to buy PC next week, it is for a small company of relatives of mine

ps. by the way, nice community here, very fast responses, i watch linus for some years but never been in the forum

yes x99 is certainly compatible with xeons.

for the most part they should all work on any asus board

here is msi supported 2011-3 list. im fairly certain any of these chips will run on any x99 asus board.          99.9999999% sure

post-4039-0-83545100-1422099212_thumb.pn

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

Thank you

Asus doesnt post CPU support list on their site just the family of processors supported, and xeon dont  appear just "22nm processors and i7"

Thank you

Asus doesnt post CPU support list on their site just the family of processors supported, and xeon dont appear just "22nm processors and i7"

they do list them on there site.

i recently looked at my board p8z68-vlx and it shows the model e.g. the i7 3770 i put in the other week.

its under "support" then cpu list. it will tell you which bios revision supports a certain chip as well

518aaf3cbc88ac8dacbc53bd2066be37.jpgc4de943a02a803c1e8dc2efc09755d5c.jpg

Thank you

Asus doesnt post CPU support list on their site just the family of processors supported, and xeon dont  appear just "22nm processors and i7"

I really do not think you looked if that is the case. Asus clearly lists every CPU (including more than a few Xeons) right on the support page of the X99-A product page. Look for yourself please: http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/X99A/HelpDesk_CPU/

Spoiler

Desktop <dead?> 

Spoiler

P8P67-WS/Z77 Extreme4/H61DE-S3. 4x4 Samsung 1600MHz/1x8GB Gskill 1866MHzC9. 750W OCZ ZT/750w Corsair CX. GTX480/Sapphire HD7950 1.05GHz (OC). Adata SP600 256GB x2/SSG 830 128GB/1TB Hatachi Deskstar/3TB Seagate. Windows XP/7Pro, Windows 10 on Test drive. FreeBSD and Fedora on liveboot USB3 drives. 

Spoiler

Laptop <Works Beyond Spec>

Spoiler

HP-DM3. Pentium U5400. 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz (Samsung iirc). Intel HD. 512GB SSD. 8TB USB drive (Western Digital). Coil Wine!!!!!! (Is that a spec?). 

Just for future proofing.

Be careful, there's no such thing.

By the way, if it's purely for rendering consider buying the xeon E5 2630 V3 right away, it's the cheapest 8-core cpu intel produces. Goes for about 650$. Xeons don't really drop their price in a reasonable time, might as well get it now.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Didn't check support tab:\ You'r right, is right there! Tank you :)

By the way, if it's purely for rendering consider buying the xeon E5 2630 V3 right away, it's the cheapest 8-core cpu intel produces. Goes for about 650$. Xeons don't really drop their price in a reasonable time, might as well get it now.

Ill keep that in mind. I know, but the difference from a top z97 setup and a "low" x99 setup in this case i think is worth. (~300$ i think)

The budget for this could go up to 2000+$. If it went for 3000$ the mac pros start getting in picture and is a little bit stretched already

Ill keep that in mind. I know, but the difference from a top z97 setup and a "low" x99 setup in this case i think is worth. (~300$ i think)

The budget for this could go up to 2000+$. If it went for 3000$ the mac pros start getting in picture and is a little bit stretched already

mac pros aren't really worth the price to be honest, for the same money you could get something better. personally I would get the xeon in your case, but if it's above your budget never mind :)

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

There is no such thing okay so a pentium K is lasts as long a 5960x.

Extreme edition cpus last a long time , thats a given.

The i7 980 and 980x are still kickass cpus.

Futureproffiness is how much time a cpu takes for its performance to become irrelevant and for example the first gen i7s are still relevant.

There is no such thing okay so a pentium K is lasts as long a 5960x.

Extreme edition cpus last a long time , thats a given.

The i7 980 and 980x are still kickass cpus.

Futureproffiness is how much time a cpu takes for its performance to become irrelevant and for example the first gen i7s are still relevant.

Oh, I'm sure those who bought a 3960x instead of a 2600k because it was "future proof" are SO happy they dropped 1000 bucks on a 6-core cpu when 3 years later they could have gotten one for one third of the price and in the meanwhile they had no use for the extra cores. The i7 980 is still kickass, but guess what? If you bought it for gaming for 0 extra performance over a core i5, you could have upgraded to a core i5 2500k not even a year later and have gotten better performance for much less.

The point here is not that you shouldn't buy what you need now even if it comes at a high cost, but that if you don't need the functionality right away chances are when you'll actually need it you could have upgraded for a lot less. For example, going x99 based on higher end cpus that maybe you might perhaps possibly need in the future is a bad idea, because when you'll actually need it the next chipset will be out and you could have better technology for a lower price. A truly futureproof piece of technology would be one that you know for certain won't be beaten by cheaper tech by the time you actually need its full cpabilities. And in the tech world, there is no such thing. Sure, with some things you might get lucky and actually have them be relevant for longer, but it's a dice roll where the odds are 9 to 1 against you. It's easy to say "that was futureproof" 4 years later, when we know how things went. Back then, you couldn't know, and you couldn't be sure of wether it was going to last or not. Therefore it wasn't future PROOF.

Therefore, my point when I wrote that was that if he was going for x99 instead of z97 because of that unlikely "futureproofness", that would have been a bad decision.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Oh, I'm sure those who bought a 3960x instead of a 2600k because it was "future proof" are SO happy they dropped 1000 bucks on a 6-core cpu when 3 years later they could have gotten one for one third of the price and in the meanwhile they had no use for the extra cores. The i7 980 is still kickass, but guess what? If you bought it for gaming for 0 extra performance over a core i5, you could have upgraded to a core i5 2500k not even a year later and have gotten better performance for much less.

The point here is not that you shouldn't buy what you need now even if it comes at a high cost, but that if you don't need the functionality right away chances are when you'll actually need it you could have upgraded for a lot less. For example, going x99 based on higher end cpus that maybe you might perhaps possibly need in the future is a bad idea, because when you'll actually need it the next chipset will be out and you could have better technology for a lower price. A truly futureproof piece of technology would be one that you know for certain won't be beaten by cheaper tech by the time you actually need its full cpabilities. And in the tech world, there is no such thing. Sure, with some things you might get lucky and actually have them be relevant for longer, but it's a dice roll where the odds are 9 to 1 against you. It's easy to say "that was futureproof" 4 years later, when we know how things went. Back then, you couldn't know, and you couldn't be sure of wether it was going to last or not. Therefore it wasn't future PROOF.

Therefore, my point when I wrote that was that if he was going for x99 instead of z97 because of that unlikely "futureproofness", that would have been a bad decision.

thats why i started with an i5 2400 and then upgraded to an i7 3770 this year (im waiting till ddr4 is mainstream before upgrade board)

In this case the extra cores will be an advantage so x99 I think makes sense. I would go for an high end z97 setup, so i think the extra money is worth, and maybe long down the road have the possibility to throw 8+ cores in it. For gaming, sure is irrelevant.

In this case the extra cores will be an advantage so x99 I think makes sense. I would go for an high end z97 setup, so i think the extra money is worth, and maybe long down the road have the possibility to throw 8+ cores in it. For gaming, sure is irrelevant.

Exactly, in your case it IS worth it. I was just explaining why future proof is not a thing.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*