Rookie question, I know...

PixlRabt

Hello internet's,

So earlier today I was on my pc downloading some files and what not, when I remembered suddenly that my internet protection had lapsed. I instantly stopped what I was doing and downloaded avg, the free trial of the super version instead of just the antivirus. It detected a trojan in one of the files I had downloaded and asked me to give permission to fix it. It removed the file from my system. My question is, is that really it? Are there any further steps that I should take? Never had to deal with this before, and am a fairly new pc builder.

Any advice and wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

- tharrison14

No that's it. AVG moves the file to a virus vault where it can't do anything to your system. Just note that half the time those files aren't viruses.

If AVG says so, then that should be it :)

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

What were you downloading? Or at least where were you downloading from?

I personally don't use Antivirus, I find they're just annoying. Windows Firewall and system scans do well for me, but I haven't had a virus in the past year. As long as you trust the site you're downloading from and you're not opening an .exe when you downloaded a jpg, you should be fine. 

Whew, was really worried for a second. I should also mention that I tried to open and use the file it identified before I realised my protection had lapsed. Does this information indicate an increased potential risk?

5. Signatures & Profiles

• Do not manually type in a signature or sign-off at the end of every post; signatures are only allowed using the built-in signature function.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/95599-linus-tech-tips-forum-code-of-conduct/

as long as your database was updated even after the expiry , you have no reason to worry , just install malware bytes once in a while and do a complete scan 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

It was a no cd patch for a copy of crysis I bought today. My gaming rig doesn't have a cd drive and the ISO I had made with my laptop was still checking for a real disk, making my brand new game unplayable. Otherwise I wouldn't have gone near a no cd patch.

It was a no cd patch for a copy of crysis I bought today. My gaming rig doesn't have a cd drive and the ISO I had made with my laptop was still checking for a real disk, making my brand new game unplayable. Otherwise I wouldn't have gone near a no cd patch.

no cd patches and things of that nature generally get flagged as viruses even though they arent. Just make sure its from a site that you trust...

When in doubt, re-format.

Well in my research on the cd check issue, most of the forums directed me to the same place, so I assume it is a fairly reputable website.

Note that in the future if you get virus it's best to turn on your PC in safe mode, then run antivirus and remove the virus. Doing this will assure that the virus did not run when your OS booted up.