Workstation Laptop

I'm going to be traveling around to different studios soon for many film and art projects around the area,

The problem is, it might be really necessary to have a laptop on board when talking to the other members of this project. I'm not going to be home much, for this, meaning i'm not going to lug my Gaming/Workstation desktop around the places lol

The hard part is, I need one that can handle After effects and maybe 3ds max (Sorta-heavy load) well. With these words alone, I know it's going to break the bank. Keep in mind, there is NO intent on gaming with this at all. All of that is at home.

So my questions is, what laptops do you guys recommend?

Another things to note: A friend of mine suggested buying a decent laptop, for pretty cheap (i5-ish), then buying more RAM. I'm not educated enough to rule this as a stupid or smart idea, sooo yea haha Just throwing that info out there

I'm going to be traveling around to different studios soon for many film and art projects around the area,

The problem is, it might be really necessary to have a laptop on board when talking to the other members of this project. I'm not going to be home much, for this, meaning i'm not going to lug my Gaming/Workstation desktop around the places lol

The hard part is, I need one that can handle After effects and maybe 3ds max (Sorta-heavy load) well. With these words alone, I know it's going to break the bank. Keep in mind, there is NO intent on gaming with this at all. All of that is at home.

Another things to note: A friend of mine suggested buying a decent laptop, for pretty cheap (i5-ish), then buying more RAM. I'm not educated enough to rule this as a stupid or smart idea, sooo yea haha Just throwing that info out there

I would recommend a heavy duty machine from sager, like a P170HM or similar...

we use these at work with Quadro cards...https://www.mythlogic.com/configure.php?id=158

or a newer one is a P170SM or Sager NP8278  http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8278-clevo-p170sma-p-6984.html?wconfigure=yes

Edited by kkpatel87

we use these at work with Quadro cards...https://www.mythlogic.com/configure.php?id=158

or a newer one is a P170SM or Sager NP8278  http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8278-clevo-p170sma-p-6984.html?wconfigure=yes

I'm probably gonna keep the xotic options in mind for now. That might be a purchase later down the line

I hope no one beats me with a stick for saying this but,

What would be the significantly cheapest route? I am kinda interested on modding out a cheap dell laptop..

I'm probably gonna keep the xotic options in mind for now. That might be a purchase later down the line

I hope no one beats me with a stick for saying this but,

What would be the significantly cheapest route? I am kinda interested on modding out a cheap dell laptop..

Not as much bang for the buck...but that is obviously your choice...its much harder to customize a dell with the right price point.

Shoot me a PM if you want. I actually "design", engineer, and sell a lot of Mobile Workstations, under several brands. I was the product manager for most of them so yeah I am here to help if you want to chat. I have google hangout.

Anyway, right now MSI and Lenovo are killing the market. They are just pwning everyone else. Also, depends what part of the world you are in. If you are in the US then a good Clevo Chassis one might be an option too. We used to use those chassis for our brand of Laptops, but well we have had some issues with support and QA on their end.

Hope that helps, and if personally love the MSI's right now. But that is just me. We sell about 5 times as many Lenovo's, and they are making some really nice ones. Avoid anything except those manufactures though. Also, I would suggest making your own Clevo/Sager or MSI Whitebook if you want. We can chat more about that though via PM  :)

or a newer one is a P170SM or Sager NP8278  http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8278-clevo-p170sma-p-6984.html?wconfigure=yes

Myth makes some great products but I would love to know who your IT buyer is :) You have PM sir.

Best,

ZKG

I recommend a P150SM-A (15") or P170SM-A (17") if you want business-like looks.

Do NOT get a mobile i5. It is dual core. You need an i7 for a quadcore.

You should be able to buy a quadro GPU for these machines too. The nVidia Quadro K3100M should do you pretty well from this machine: http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8278s-clevo-p170sma-p-6985.html?wconfigure=yes

Forget MSI if you want workstation performance. Same for ASUS/Alienware. If you do NOT want to get the clevo, you will be looking more toward machines like the Dell Precision M line, or HP's Zbooks/Elitebooks. Those are pretty pricey, and will have a bit of bulk to them (for sufficient cooling), but their warranty and tech support will be top notch. Hopefully you will be able to get MQ-line chips, as HQ chips WILL not hold their clocks under load. They're apparently extremely TDP limited. If you need performance, you need to get MQ or desktop chips in your notebook. Yes, desktop-chip-wielding notebooks exist. They're usually a bit thicker however, but if you're okay with carrying those around you can put the best quadro cards in them.

If you want Lenovo's business line, those could be fine okay. But don't look for any consumer models aside from a Clevo for these kind of laptops.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday