What GPU should I get.

I just built a new gaming PC and cannot decide which graphics card should i get. I first thought of the 970 for it's great bang for the buck and incredible efficiency but it was a bit to expensive for me. So i turned to the R9 290. It is inefficient and does not perform as good as the 970, but it is cheaper. With the new 960 (which apparently does not perform exceptionally but is really efficient) and the rumors of the 380X coming in Q1 or Q2 2015 and also delivering an incredible performance, I am truly confused of what I should get. Should I buy the 970 (although I would have to wait and save more money), should I buy the inefficient R9 290. The 960, 280, 285 and 280X do not appeal too much to me though, especially because I know I could get a lot better performance for like 50 - 70 dollars buying the 290. The other possibility would be wait until the 380X is out, which apparently is not due until some from now and I do not think if months of not having a GPU will be worth the performance boost. Also, DX12 will be huge and I am not sure if the 290 supports it. If it does not, then it would not be a future proof GPU for a long time. So,what should I do: should I buy now and which GPU, or wait.

Please tell me what you think and why.

Thanks in advance.

Budget?

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

You should wait to see what AMD brings to the table, worst case scenario you get a 970 discontented. 

HTID

I would wait till the 300 series comes out to make a proper decision, but right now the 290 is a really good option

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

I have a max budget of $300, but the more I save the bigger the budget.