360 controller for Win8

soup
Go to solution Solved by Prikk,

I just plugged in the wireless receiver and it works on Windows 8.1. There isn't a downloadable software because it works just by plugging it in, which in Windows 7 it didn't work and required the software. However, you can download the Windows 7 version of the software and get the onscreen battery life indicator if you like. So either way it works.

Seems using a 360 controller for some games is a thing.  However two minutes of Googling elicits the information that there is software for using the controller with Win7 but there isn't any for use with Win8.  Didn't notice the date of the website so this may well be an old issue.  Is there now software to use  a 360 controller on Windows8?

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

I don't know what you're talking about for software wise.... I just plug my controller in and it auto-installed the drivers... Works like a charm. Certain games want the controller to be plugged in first before playing like battlefield or COD: AW. I use my black 360 controller and a razer Sabertooth (which uses the standard 360 protocols). If it's wireless, you're going to need like an 11$ dongle. 

Seems using a 360 controller for some games is a thing.  However two minutes of Googling elicits the information that there is software for using the controller with Win7 but there isn't any for use with Win8.  Didn't notice the date of the website so this may well be an old issue.  Is there now software to use  a 360 controller on Windows8?

It is usable with Windows 8.

What I personally do, is use a dongle/wireless receiver, paired with a standard wireless Xbox 360 controller, works like a dream.

If you don't already have a wireless 360 controller, look into buying a wired one for ~$30.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

It's already built into windows 8. You need to have a wire controller or a wireless dongle.

I just plugged in the wireless receiver and it works on Windows 8.1. There isn't a downloadable software because it works just by plugging it in, which in Windows 7 it didn't work and required the software. However, you can download the Windows 7 version of the software and get the onscreen battery life indicator if you like. So either way it works.