new student laptop

RaptorFlex

so, i'm a high school student, specifically 11th grade.

my macbook pro is really dying on me, its over 4 years old and it can no longer function in class and its just not enjoyable for recreational stuff. i need a new laptop that:

a. has a decent battery: like 3 hrs of life at least, it has to last most of the school day

b. is light: it has to go into a backpack

c. is nice for typing: i have to type on it, like a lot of typing (i have large hands btw)

d. can't be ridiculously expensive: its going to be obsolete in like 2 years once i hit college

e. consuming media: this is a must, my laptop is what i use when i want to watch stuff in bed so more ram and a better screen is preferred

if you are capable of helping, thanks. if you are not capable of helping, then thanks still?

Some things we need to know

what is your price range?

Do you prefer to stick with apple?

do you need an optical drive or did you just mean digital media not actual dvd's or Blurays?

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

/thread

Main PC:

ASUS F1A55-M LX, AMD A6-3500, (2x2)gb Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600mhz, Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm, 
 Corsair CX430M, Cooler Master Elite 343, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Netbook:

Lenovo Ideapad S10-2, Intel Atom N280, (1x1)gb DDR2 667mhz, WD Scorpio Blue 250gb 5400rpm, Zorin OS 9 Lite

If you only use it for documents and media consumption have a look at a chromebook :D

PC Specs:

CPU: i5 4670K  4.5 GHz  | CPU COOLER: H80i | GPU:EVGA GTX 780Ti  |  Motherboard: MSI Z87I   |  Case: Bitfenix Prodigy  |  RAM: 8GB Avexir Venom  |  HDD: Seagate 1TB , 60GB Agility 3  Monitor: 32" HD TV (LOL)   PSU: Corsair 750W

Some things we need to know

what is your price range?

Do you prefer to stick with apple?

do you need an optical drive or did you just mean digital media not actual dvd's or Blurays?

If you only use it for documents and media consumption have a look at a chromebook :D

so, my price range is like the $1000 mark, i do not want to stay with apple, and optical drives are not wanted.

then, chromebooks are good and all but not powerful enough, and i still need to be able to do other odd things with a laptop, when i travel im not taking my desktop so i need something that i can watch movies on or play light games on like portal or MC. 

so, my price range is like the $1000 mark, i do not want to stay with apple, and optical drives are not wanted.

then, chromebooks are good and all but not powerful enough, and i still need to be able to do other odd things with a laptop, when i travel im not taking my desktop so i need something that i can watch movies on or play light games on like portal or MC. 

HP Stream 13? Small, great battery, still runs full Windows 8.1, $220 USD...

...yeah...never mind...

You got tons of options with a budget like that.

In that case I'm a fan of the lenovo yoga 2 13.3 inch range with the higher end i5 and 256Gb ssd theres also the i7 model that should come in a shade under 1000. My sister got one of these a month or so ago and hasn't had an issue with it.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/yoga-laptop-series/yoga-laptop-2-13/

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

Jeez! 1000 dollars for a laptop that is only intended for two years... Wow!

giphy.gif

Anyways, you should look into some Intel Broadwell PC's (IDK if there are any available for sale at this moment). Or, you could also look into Lenovo ThinkPads such as the T440s. You could also go a little over the "budget" and look at the X1 Carbon. The ThinkPads should be able to last you into college as well.

PLEASE QUOTE ME WHEN YOU REPLY TO MY POSTS, thank you.

Jeez! 1000 dollars for a laptop that is only intended for two years... Wow!

giphy.gif

You're not kidding, I read high school student and only 2 years and shot low figuring a tight budget.

I didn't even have my own comp in highschool, all my money (what little I had) went toward dating and feeding my '81 Z28 Camaro (mmm... 11 MPG...).