how to dust out a pc?

MattTheMayor

planning on rewiring, reseating everything with my friend on friday. my pc is a dust monster and i want to find out a way to dust it. i have a paint brush mainly for taking dust off (given by my mother because she says my expensive keyboard needs cleaning).

i heard that i use those can of airs. to dust them out. but im scared that the little bubbly liquid will touch the components and end it's life right there. should i be worried?

any suggestions?

Blow on the components or used compressed air. You don't really have to worry about water droplets -- and if you are really concerned, then just leave the system powered off and unplugged for an hour or so. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

planning on rewiring, reseating everything with my friend on friday. my pc is a dust monster and i want to find out a way to dust it. i have a paint brush mainly for taking dust off (given by my mother because she says my expensive keyboard needs cleaning).

i heard that i use those can of airs. to dust them out. but im scared that the little bubbly liquid will touch the components and end it's life right there. should i be worried?

any suggestions?

Just don't turn the can upside down and douse your parts and you'll be golden.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

that's exactly what i do. i use a paint brush and a can of compressed air. don't worry about the whole drips of water or whatever from the can. just be sure to when the can gets cold let it settle for some few sec or so. also be sure to do this outside if possible

I just use toothpicks, a very small brush I have no clue where I got it from, and sometimes a dampened cloth.  The key is getting the HSF and other fans in the pc clear of dust.  Heck just blowing into the pc case often gets me various dust bunnies I need to get out of it. I also in cleaning the hard drives and media drive just use my hand to wipe away dust and if some of it falls to the bottom of the case I just gather it up.  Cleaning out dust filters and what holds them is also important.  In regards to compressed air I have never had to use it.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Compressed air is a good option, be sure to hold the can up right otherwise you will most likely end up with some white stuff spraying out. (No sexual references intended)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

What I use. 10 dollar mattress pump and a hollowed out bic pen as a nozzle. I can blow papers off a corkboard 20 feet away lol  :lol:

gallery_62868_1880_5407.jpg

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

that's exactly what i do. i use a paint brush and a can of compressed air. don't worry about the whole drips of water or whatever from the can. just be sure to when the can gets cold let it settle for some few sec or so. also be sure to do this outside if possible

Man, the white Source 210 is a really nice looking case.

Man, the white Source 210 is a really nice looking case.

indeed but i sold that build and i now have a CM 110 Elite case (AKA my mini gamin PC)

I use the Kobalt 20 Gallon Air compressor:

20-gall-electric-kobalt-compressor-spark

Overkill? Maybe so. But does it leave dust behind?

Hells no. B)

(compressed air cans will do just fine. And no, I didn't purchase the Kobalt just for PC cleaning lol )

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I recommend that you use airduster to clean out your PC as it is relatively cheap and damn effective. You can buy a can of airduster at any well-sorted PC retailer or on Amazon / Ebay.