Chris_nz

Hi just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this topic

want storage with expandability  overtime as well as low power

I have some spare mobo and CPU  and 500w psu lying around

cpu is a dual core pentium g3240 

i don't mind using a different operating system

let me know your opinions

thank you.

I think that you'd be better off with the parts you currently have, if you wouldn't mind fiddling with stuff.

Sig under construction.

buying is easier, but build is fun.

however with those parts you might as well make your own.

what about compatibily? I understand buying a NAS its plug and ply into your network?

buildin it will i require a specific OS? or can I use windows?, I do want a good quality connection 

thank you

You can always buy a NAS. But since we do not know what the NAS has to do we cannot recommend one.

But I can give you some pointers to try out:

Get your hands on some harddrive (no specific NAS drive yet, just a spare harddrive you surely have somewhere around (external enclosure or something similar) or even a decently fast USB 3.0 stick. Slap the components into a case, plug it in and install some Ubuntu variant on it, I recommend Kubuntu (with the KDE desktop) or LXLE (Lubuntu variant) both have a windows-like desktop (unity of normal ubuntu is a mystery to me). Be sure to get the 14.04.1 LTS version (LTS = Long term support, support ends somewhen 2017).

Ubuntu has the advantage that you have good explanations on how to do stuff. Mostly just copy and paste. Experiment around with some Samba shares (they display as normal windows shares in your windows network) and try to get a handle on things. Once you are somewhat familiar with your linux distro you can plan on getting some more components (SSD for system, HDD's for a hardware RAID. Your RAID will depend on the amount of data and the required redundancy.

Or you could do freenas if you wanted to. I know nothing about freenas hence I cannot recommend it.

To be exact:

For normal consumer use you can also use Windows (normal consumer grade like home, home premium or professional). Might be easier since you do not have to learn that much. I recall some problems with using teamviewer to administrate your nas-windows-machine without a monitor plugged in but that can be alleviated by using VNC (its free).

Buying a NAS:

You can buy it with or without harddrives. Plugging them in is a piece of cake. The rest is kind of plug and play. You plug it in, search in your router for it's IP adress and get into the web interface, set the harddrives into the preferred RAID mode and then create some shares. Maybe setup some users with different shares and permissions.That's about it for the most basic use. Advanced features require you to study the handbook for a bit. You will have it up and running the evening on the day you get it, the more advanced features will take you about two to three additional evenings tops. A nas you buy will be lower in terms of power consumption. Around 5 watts powered on plus 4 watts per each hard drive. Little NAS systems tend to have a busy, small fan (80 or 92 mm) which can be louder than a PC.

Building a NAS:

Screwing the PC together, setting up the hardware raid,  installing the OS, messing around with the energy savings options to prevent it from going into sleep mode, installing drivers, setting up network shares. Done. Will take you about half a day for a windows based system and about a week for a linux based thing. Power consumption wise you can get something like this down to sub 20 watts (like my machine). A well insulated case might be quieter than a bought NAS since your PSU will run near silent.

Advantages of Windows: You already know it

Advantages of Linux: free, Speed, immune to windows malware and great remote access possibilities

If you give your nas computer a permanent display you can also use it as a workstation for normal office stuff and browsing. No need to power up the power hungry gaming machine.