Driver install causes freezes and screen stuffing up

ForeseenVisionz

I just bought a second hand 660ti and after installing it and it's driver my screen goes crazy and the whole pc freezes and starts freezes and starts, plz help I'm scared

edit: he ran in sli so he said he didnt need to oc so its not that, also for reference my spcecs are, i7 4790, 16gb ram , asus h97i plus, 240gb 840 ssd for boot and still need to set up raid 0 on the 2 500gb ssds which im stil confused about. Silverstone sfx 450w gold, gigabyte 660ti

Edited by ForeseenVisionz

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only a GTX 1080, just a single 1080, where my glorious PC once stood....

For that is all I need, For the Emperor of Man, Jen-Hsun Huang, protects. We march for Nvidia, and we shall know no fear!

Once I restart after it finishes install then it happens.

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only a GTX 1080, just a single 1080, where my glorious PC once stood....

For that is all I need, For the Emperor of Man, Jen-Hsun Huang, protects. We march for Nvidia, and we shall know no fear!

Once I restart after it finishes install then it happens.

Do you know if the previous owner overclocked the card? Also what model and wattage is your power supply?

It's Silverstone sfx 450w, but I don't think he did but I'll ask him.

It's Silverstone sfx 450w, but I don't think he did but I'll ask him.

While at it what are the rest of your system specs?

How old is the power supply?

Try booting into Windows Safe Mode then removing the drivers related to the card. 

Once done boot back into normal windows. Try downloading something like MSI afterburner or EVGA precision X and underclock the card by 200 mhz on both core and memory.

If you had an AMD card previously make sure to remove its drivers.

Try reinstalling the Nvidia drivers and if the behavior re appears then boot back into safe mode to delete them and notify us of the events and if anything changed.

He said he hasnt oced it,

my spcecs are, i7 4790, 16gb ram , asus h97i plus, 240gb 840 ssd for boot and still need to set up raid 0 on the 2 500gb ssds which im stil confused about. Silverstone sfx 450w gold, gigabyte 660ti

and no idea how old the psu is. Ill try the underclocking thing now.

While at it what are the rest of your system specs?

How old is the power supply?

Try booting into Windows Safe Mode then removing the drivers related to the card. 

Once done boot back into normal windows. Try downloading something like MSI afterburner or EVGA precision X and underclock the card by 200 mhz on both core and memory.

If you had an AMD card previously make sure to remove its drivers.

Try reinstalling the Nvidia drivers and if the behavior re appears then boot back into safe mode to delete them and notify us of the events and if anything changed.

it didnt affect it still doing it... what the helll

Is this a new build or have you had a previously working gpu in it?

Do you have another PC to try the card in?

BIOS up to date?

http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/H97IPLUS/HelpDesk_Download/

Double check power connections, air can the PCIe slot, clean the PCIe pins on the card?

Are any errors appearing in Event Viewer? Such as Event ID 13 or 14 nvdc(something) or others?

Do you have a multimeter to check the 12v rail on the psu?

If not does your bios have a feature where it can monitor the psu?

Hwmonitor also usually gives readings on the rails.

Obvious question here: did you remove your old graphics card drivers and settings before changing cards?

Is this a new build or have you had a previously working gpu in it?

Do you have another PC to try the card in?

BIOS up to date?

http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/H97IPLUS/HelpDesk_Download/

Double check power connections, air can the PCIe slot, clean the PCIe pins on the card?

new pc with new and used parts, yes i did and it worked but i just booted into windows not install drivers or anything, bios hasnt been updated as we just built it, the mobo is brand new so it was clean.

Are any errors appearing in Event Viewer? Such as Event ID 13 or 14 nvdc(something) or others?

Do you have a multimeter to check the 12v rail on the psu?

If not does your bios have a feature where it can monitor the psu?

Hwmonitor also usually gives readings on the rails.

event 14 appers, no i dont have multimeter, i dont think it has a feature, 

Obvious question here: did you remove your old graphics card drivers and settings before changing cards?

its a new build with fresh install of windows 7 so nothing evn on it

Multi Meter, D.M.M is not a feature its a Digital Multi meter that calculates ohm resistance, voltage and current on electronic devices, power supplies or resistors. Checks on currency, etc.

Your PSU, have you considered the fact that it might be too low? OFCOURSE, it's Silverstone, yet, it carries only 450watts.

You think that is enough for your specs? You need 550watts, or 600watts not to choke your components, see TechQuickie's video about PSUs.

Also, drivers aren't an issue, to me it seems like a power failure. Nuff said.

Try to put the GPU in another system to check if it is working right.

Try... Any system really. Or! Contact the person who sold you the GPU and ask him what he has done to the card. Voltage is too high? Overclocked? Mining? Etc..

Also, read forward. When the card installs new drivers, it resets back to its factory settings. So the GPU is probably overclocked, but this overclock is NOT stable. Run MSI Afterburner and lower the clock, plus the voltage or high the voltage to even let it run.. Or install the drivers into its BIOS.

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

Multi Meter, D.M.M is not a feature its a Digital Multi meter that calculates ohm resistance, voltage and current on electronic devices, power supplies or resistors. Checks on currency, etc.

Your PSU, have you considered the fact that it might be too low? OFCOURSE, it's Silverstone, yet, it carries only 450watts.

You think that is enough for your specs? You need 550watts, or 600watts not to choke your components, see TechQuickie's video about PSUs.

Also, drivers aren't an issue, to me it seems like a power failure. Nuff said.

Try to put the GPU in another system to check if it is working right.

Try... Any system really. Or! Contact the person who sold you the GPU and ask him what he has done to the card. Voltage is too high? Overclocked? Mining? Etc..

Also, read forward. When the card installs new drivers, it resets back to its factory settings. So the GPU is probably overclocked, but this overclock is NOT stable. Run MSI Afterburner and lower the clock, plus the voltage or high the voltage to even let it run.. Or install the drivers into its BIOS.

edit: not a psu wattage issue so far

try making sure the gpu is connected properly 

cpu: 3570k cooler: H100i m/b: Asus Maximus V Formula ram: 16gb Corsair Vengeance gpu: Asus Nvidia GTX 680 DCUII ssd: Samsung 840 pro hdd: WD Black 2tb case: CMStorm Stryker psu:  Corsair AX860 

new pc with new and used parts, yes i did and it worked but i just booted into windows not install drivers or anything, bios hasnt been updated as we just built it, the mobo is brand new so it was clean.

event 14 appers, no i dont have multimeter, i dont think it has a feature, 

its a new build with fresh install of windows 7 so nothing evn on it

I don't think it is a power supply wattage issue. If it is a defective psu issue has yet to be cleared up. System uses about 300 watts according to PC part picker.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cj2z99

Event ID 14 nvlddmkm is a NVIDIA driver related issue. With the card installed and drivers uninstalled does Windows update find a update called NVIDIA WDDM 1.0, 1.1, or 1.2 in optional updates? Try installing that first then installing the NVIDIA driver. My second question is how many instances of the Event ID 14 do you have? Is it a couple or a ton with each error occurring each second?  

If nvlddmkm ... then it's a driver issue..

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

I don't think it is a power supply wattage issue. If it is a defective psu issue has yet to be cleared up. System uses about 300 watts according to PC part picker.

Event ID 14 nvlddmkm is a NVIDIA driver related issue. With the card installed and drivers uninstalled does Windows update find a update called NVIDIA WDDM 1.0, 1.1, or 1.2 in optional updates? Try installing that first then installing the NVIDIA driver. My second question is how many instances of the Event ID 14 do you have? Is it a couple or a ton with each error occurring each second?  

i just plugged the gpu into other pc with on board amd gpu (apu) and no update in windows update came up if thats what u mean. it works at full 1080p just with a black border, should i try installing the nvidia driver on that pc? also do i have to uninstall the amd catalyst stuff coz its not really a gpu driver its just the on board gpu.

and the event 14 screen caps are below.

post-20170-0-73933100-1421638400_thumb.p

post-20170-0-62345800-1421638405_thumb.p

post-20170-0-73933100-1421638400_thumb.p

post-20170-0-62345800-1421638405_thumb.p

If nvlddmkm ... then it's a driver issue..

yea im starting to figure but how i fix it :/

also he said he ran in sli that is y he didnt need to oc, does that make a difference?

also he said he ran in sli that is y he didnt need to oc, does that make a difference?

Go ahead and try it in the other PC. Shouldn't need to uninstall Catalyst for it in the spare. 

It works, I'm Gunna try in new pc now, make sure all connections are tight and stuff. Also what does this mean? What is the problem :/

post-20170-0-76034000-1421641631_thumb.j

post-20170-0-76034000-1421641631_thumb.j

It works, I'm Gunna try in new pc now, make sure all connections are tight and stuff. Also what does this mean? What is the problem :/

Oddly I've seen this issue before or at least something that looks extremely similar. The bad news is my friend and I haven't been able to fix it. So far we've narrowed it down to an issue with the motherboard / GPU communicating with each other or the DirectX was corrupted during the installation process of Windows. We haven't made too much head way in either direction but we did find that installing NVIDIA drivers with a GT 260 I had lying around then swapping in the 660 Ti would allow it to "work". I use quotes on "works" because at least once a week it crashes forcing a reboot and works fine after rebooting til the next incident. The card works completely fine in other PCs for his too. You can try updating the motherboard's BIOS to the newest revision and hopefully that works for you. The other option is try re installing DirectX. Though I can't garrantee either will work since I haven't figured out this issue with my friend yet either. 

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#newwindow=1&q=reinstalling%20directx

Oddly I've seen this issue before or at least something that looks extremely similar. The bad news is my friend and I haven't been able to fix it. So far we've narrowed it down to an issue with the motherboard / GPU communicating with each other or the DirectX was corrupted during the installation process of Windows. We haven't made too much head way in either direction but we did find that installing NVIDIA drivers with a GT 260 I had lying around then swapping in the 660 Ti would allow it to "work". I use quotes on "works" because at least once a week it crashes forcing a reboot and works fine after rebooting til the next incident. The card works completely fine in other PCs for his too. You can try updating the motherboard's BIOS to the newest revision and hopefully that works for you. The other option is try re installing DirectX. Though I can't garrantee either will work since I haven't figured out this issue with my friend yet either. 

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#newwindow=1&q=reinstalling%20directx

so fresh windows install, then update bios then install GFE?

verify your power is installed correctly and gpu no bowing/flexing. get the bios update off another computer and install it threw the bios with a usb mem card

maybe even try a different pci-e slot.