Nexus 4 vs Galaxy Avant/Core LTE (Moto G)

Aniallation

My friend is looking for a second-hand phone and I can get either one of these for around $150 as soon as tomorrow. Which do you guys think would be the better choice? The Galaxy Core LTE (known as Galaxy Avant in the US) is similar to the first-gen Moto G in pretty much all aspects, though with a nicer design (looks like a mini S5). So if you'd like to make it a simpler comparison, then consider it Nexus 4 vs first-gen Moto G.

The Nexus 4 is more powerful, but therefore it has worse battery life. I also don't like the design of the Nexus 4 that much, the flat glass back is a bit hard to hold. The device is also a bit larger and a bit bigger then what my friend would be comfortable with.

What do you guys think? Is the extra power of the Nexus 4 worth the battery life and pocketability deficit? 

Also, ROMs/rooting/updates-right-away isn't an issue, he's coming from a Galaxy S Vibrant, which gets everything done that he needs to do on a phone while still running Gingerbread. 

Opinions please and thanks :D

"Rawr XD"

Moto G. Has the most support. I couldn't stand using the Nexus 4 being that the max capacity is 16GB with no expandable storage. That's just cruel.

Moto G. Has the most support. I couldn't stand using the Nexus 4 being that the max capacity is 16GB with no expandable storage. That's just cruel.

Well, it's not actually the Moto G but actually the Samsung Avant. That being said software updates isn't a big issue but expendable storage is a good point indeed. Thanks

"Rawr XD"

I used to praise the Nexus 4, but my previous experience with my last one prevents me from recommending to anyone. Id consider the Moto G and E since theyre around your budget, and theyre fairly amazing budget oriented phones.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

I used to praise the Nexus 4, but my previous experience with my last one prevents me from recommending to anyone. Id consider the Moto G and E since theyre around your budget, and theyre fairly amazing budget oriented phones.

2nd gen Moto G is out of my friend's budget. The first-gen is in his budget, but for the same price he'd rather get the Samsung Avant as it has identical specs plus the addition of a MicroSD card slot. It also looks nicer. Software updates isn't an issue btw, Nexus 4 is just an option because specs are good for the price. 

"Rawr XD"

Actually I've got to defend the Nexus 4 a bit now. I got a Nexus 4 about 3 weeks ago when I dropped my Nexus 5 and broke the screen ( as I am studying abroad I sent it back to the UK to get repaired) I am 100% satisfied with it. Performance is absolutely on-pair with the Nexus 5 in day to day tasks, the camera is better than I expected tbh but the main kicker - batterylife... That shocked me a but. After a clean install of lollipop 5.0.1 I get 5+ hours screen on time and nearly a whole day of WiFi tethering !! + I end the day with 30%+ left... I leave mobile data on, BT off and WiFi on only at home because that I found eats away the battery the most for me :o I was also deciding between the Nexus and the moto G. But went for the Nexus for a few reasons - number 1 is the better overall performance, number 2 was design which you actually really get used too ( to begin with U wasn't sold ever but it feels much more premium than my N5 did and the ruberised sides compensate the slippery back. The buttons are REALLY hard to press for the first thew hours, but you get used to them really quick) and number 3 once you get into Qi wireless charging you just can't turn back :)

The only drawbacks with the N4 I can see are in no particular order - 4G ( I live in a mostly HSPA+ area but I miss 4G at school ;(),STORAGE ( I have 8GB as it was initially only for a few weeks and I have to empty the storage nearly every week.),speaker quality and probably the biggest -> accessory support but eBay is still pretty full ;)

Hope this helps! The N4 is a highly recommended from me ;)

The only drawbacks with the N4 I can see are in no particular order - 4G ( I live in a mostly HSPA+ area but I miss 4G at school ;(),STORAGE ( I have 8GB as it was initially only for a few weeks and I have to empty the storage nearly every week.),speaker quality and probably the biggest -> accessory support but eBay is still pretty full

Thank you for your input! :)

The carrier my friend will be using is HSPA+ only (no 4G/LTE) so no problem there. But the big thing is expandable storage. He has about 13GB of music alone so a 16GB Nexus 4 will be just barely cutting it, would definitely help to have the MicroSD slot of the Samsung as he already has a 32GB card.

"Rawr XD"

Thank you for your input! :)

The carrier my friend will be using is HSPA+ only (no 4G/LTE) so no problem there. But the big thing is expandable storage. He has about 13GB of music alone so a 16GB Nexus 4 will be just barely cutting it, would definitely help to have the MicroSD slot of the Samsung as he already has a 32GB card.

Yeah I do get that :/ Would Google play music streaming help?? :) I also have allot of music but a few overnight uploads to Google and I have nearly 6GB free now :)

Samsung phone =/= MotoG. I haven't heard of Samsung joining the Android One initiative or whatever it's called so it'll most likely come with Touchwiz so won't be as future proof as the MotoG (and I personally strongly disagree with your opinion it's better looking :P).

Nexus 4 is my choice. You should have made this a poll.

Samsung phone =/= MotoG. I haven't heard of Samsung joining the Android One initiative or whatever it's called so it'll most likely come with Touchwiz so won't be as future proof as the MotoG (and I personally strongly disagree with your opinion it's better looking :P).

Nexus 4 is my choice. You should have made this a poll.

Well like I said futureproof isn't that big of an issue. My friend is currently using a phone with TouchWiz Gingerbread and he really has no reason to even need ICS at the moment.

And although it was originally his opinion I do agree with him, the Avant does look a lot nicer then the plain first-gen Moto G.

samsung-galaxy-avant-4006-011.jpg

jpeg-640x443.jpg

"Rawr XD"

Well like I said futureproof isn't that big of an issue. My friend is currently using a phone with TouchWiz Gingerbread and he really has no reason to even need ICS at the moment.

And although it was originally his opinion I do agree with him, the Avant does look a lot nicer then the plain first-gen Moto G.

samsung-galaxy-avant-4006-011.jpg

jpeg-640x443.jpg

Each to his own. I like the design of the MotoG (hence why I have it).

Perhaps futureproof was the wrong word... More recent versions of android (Nexus 4 is on Kitkat right?) perform better than older versions. So even if the two devices had the same specs, the one on Kitkat would perform better. This is in addition to the performance boost of superior hardware. I don't personally think the hit on battery life will be that big a deal. I don't think either phone will last into the next day so either way he'll be charging in the evening/night. And if he only does the basic stuff (which I figure he must because Gingerbread) then I don't see the higher specs (bar the slightly larger screen I guess) doing much harm.

Perhaps futureproof was the wrong word... More recent versions of android (Nexus 4 is on Kitkat right?) perform better than older versions. So even if the two devices had the same specs, the one on Kitkat would perform better. This is in addition to the performance boost of superior hardware. I don't personally think the hit on battery life will be that big a deal. I don't think either phone will last into the next day so either way he'll be charging in the evening/night. And if he only does the basic stuff (which I figure he must because Gingerbread) then I don't see the higher specs (bar the slightly larger screen I guess) doing much harm.

Both of them are running KitKat. American Moto G's have the Lollipop update apparently, but Canadian G's are still waiting for the OTA unless you want to flash the device with US GSM firmware, then you can get the Lollipop OTA. 

The Avant and the G both have the same MSM8226 Snapdragon 400, but the Avant has 1.5GB of RAM whereas the G only has 1GB, however that's the only area where specs differ.  What actually ended up happening is he got the Nexus 4 and I got the Avant, and we'll use them for a while and see if we feel like switching. I'm really liking the Avant so far but battery life isn't what I expected the whole "power-sipping" aspect of the Snapdragon 400 would live up to. It only gets me through a day with basic stuff (although with around 30% left at the end of the day).

The interesting thing is that I had an Alcatel Fierce 2 with a more power-hungry CPU yet smaller battery, but if I just did the basic stuff I do with every phone of mine, it was the only smartphone I ever had that could comfortably get me through two days on a charge.

"Rawr XD"

The Avant and the G both have the same MSM8226 Snapdragon 400, but the Avant has 1.5GB of RAM whereas the G only has 1GB, however that's the only area where specs differ.  What actually ended up happening is he got the Nexus 4 and I got the Avant, and we'll use them for a while and see if we feel like switching. I'm really liking the Avant so far but battery life isn't what I expected the whole "power-sipping" aspect of the Snapdragon 400 would live up to. It only gets me through a day with basic stuff (although with around 30% left at the end of the day).

The interesting thing is that I had an Alcatel Fierce 2 with a more power-hungry CPU yet smaller battery, but if I just did the basic stuff I do with every phone of mine, it was the only smartphone I ever had that could comfortably get me through two days on a charge.

Actually after my first paragraph I was only referring to the Samsung and Nexus. I made the presumption that the Galaxy Core and Avant were the same device, just region specific names or something.  I'd personally still get the Nexus 4 (I'm now aware of the Avant's specs). 2gb of ram and lollipop are just too tempting. :P

Actually after my first paragraph I was only referring to the Samsung and Nexus. I made the presumption that the Galaxy Core and Avant were the same device, just region specific names or something.  I'd personally still get the Nexus 4 (I'm now aware of the Avant's specs). 2gb of ram and lollipop are just too tempting. :P

Avant and Core LTE are the same device. Just plain "core" is something else :P

"Rawr XD"