Same hard drive, but partitioned for windows = better performance?

gavanorio

Hi.

I just get an WD Black 1TB. I cant afford an SSD right now, so i will install everything on my hard drive and later on, clone the completly drive to an SSD. So my question is, if i install windows on a separate partition on my Drive, separate from programs and files, the performance will be better or that doesnt affect performance?

Performance will not be affected in any significant way

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Using something like HD Tune, you can assess the maximum performance you get with the drive up to a certain data storage point. You may sustain the maximum read/writes up to 400GB, and then have it drop down to another value. Then you can form a partition for the OS with the data space value equal or below the example given. Partitioning itself will not really increase performance.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Using something like HD Tune, you can assess the maximum performance you get with the drive up to a certain data storage point. You may sustain the maximum read/writes up to 400GB, and then have it drop down to another value. Then you can form a partition for the OS with the data space value equal or below the example given. Partitioning itself will not really increase performance.

So...not in any significant way :D

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Hey gavanorio!

Like already said, selecting two different partitions for your OS and programs and files, won't increase performance.

I'd also like to add a few things.

First of all, even if you install programs on another partition or drive, than the OS one, still, some files will go to directories on C: drive; that's inevitable.

Secondly, be careful how much information you put on the drive. This is because of the cloning to a SSD you'd like to do in the near future. There are 1TB SSDs, but are quite more expensive, and if you can afford one which is less than a TB, and your HDD is full more than the SSD has capacity, then you'll have to sort out your data: delete it, move it online etc. The first rule of cloning a storage device is that the second drive needs to have at least as much free space, as the first drive has full.

The storage device performance depends on many things; starting from processor speed and RAM capacity to drive RPM and cache. Of course, how you take care of your drive (and overall – the whole PC) also has an impact. If you clean, defrag and sort your system regularly, performance would be a lot better.

Cheers! :)

CK_WD

If you think I helped, like!  :P

www.wdc.com

I found that under windows XP, having a small partition set up for windows made an enormous difference in start up times, everything else was pretty much the same.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

In theory, because platters are circular, the outer part will be faster than the inner part. So if your system partition will be located on the outer part it should be optimized for speed.

In the real world, how much of a difference this would make? I don't know. I read somewhere that the outer/inner speed ratio about 100/60.