Does an Dual or Triple GB LAN Connectiond Make Your Internet Speed Faster

HectiKCookiE

So i was ripping apart my old hp rack mount server, why? mostly i just like to take things apart. and a saw it had a dual intel gigabit lan card so i pulled it out and stuck it into my PC. i didn't think there would be any real performance boost (unless i had a nas or something) but i did some testing results below.

1: Realtek gb LAN and 2 Intel gb LAN

2: Realtek gb LAN

3: Intel gb LAN

post-161425-0-21068300-1421443516.png

The extra LAN ports made no difference, would they be useful for anything i would do like gaming or streaming?

PCPP http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Vg96f7 CPU: Intel i7 4790K MoBo: Gigabyte Z97X S.O.C Ram: G.Skill 2x 8gb GPU: 2x AMD R9 290x in CrossFire SoundCard: Creative Sound Blaster z Case: NZXT H440 RED/BLK Storage: 2x Intel 520s 120gb Raid 0 + 2tb Seagate 7200 PSU: EVGA 1000W G2 Fully Modular Display: Samsung UHD 4K 28'' KeyBoard: Corsair K65 RGB Mouse: Cyborg R.A.T 7 Sound: Logitech z506 OS: Windows 10 TP

No it does not.

Adding more connections makes it REDUNDANT not STACK.

This means if one connection fails it will use the other, but it does not increase your internet speed becasue the ISP is limiting your connection. The amount of cables connecting your PC to your modem is not a bottleneck.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

it only increases lan speed

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

it only increases lan speed

yes, well i know that now :)

PCPP http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Vg96f7 CPU: Intel i7 4790K MoBo: Gigabyte Z97X S.O.C Ram: G.Skill 2x 8gb GPU: 2x AMD R9 290x in CrossFire SoundCard: Creative Sound Blaster z Case: NZXT H440 RED/BLK Storage: 2x Intel 520s 120gb Raid 0 + 2tb Seagate 7200 PSU: EVGA 1000W G2 Fully Modular Display: Samsung UHD 4K 28'' KeyBoard: Corsair K65 RGB Mouse: Cyborg R.A.T 7 Sound: Logitech z506 OS: Windows 10 TP

No it does not.

This means if one connection fails it will use the other, but it does not increase your internet speed becasue the ISP is limiting your connection. The amount of cables connecting your PC to your modem is not a bottleneck.

I'm not a complete idiot i know that my isp limits my internet i just thought maybe my router shares it or something between the lan port, i thought if any thing it would be like 5% difference 

I'm not a complete idiot i know that my isp limits my internet i just thought maybe my router shares it or something between the lan port, i thought if any thing it would be like 5% difference 

No, all the LAN ports get full 1Gb connection (unless its a 100 router not 1000)

there should be 0 difference

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

No, all the LAN ports get full 1Gb connection (unless its a 100 router not 1000)

there should be 0 difference

it a netgear nighthawk so they are all 1000mb and i know there's performance boost i said that in the first post

The other thing you could do which is something I plan on doing is to use one port for LAN and one for WAN.

it a netgear nighthawk so they are all 1000mb and i know there's performance boost i said that in the first post

there is no performance boost

all your results are the same within margin of error

when you use internet your computer chooses ONE network connection to use. It does not use both.

You can see this by going to task manager: network while running the speed test

only one network will be in use

Spoiler

there is no performance boost

all your results are the same within margin of error

when you use internet your computer chooses ONE network connection to use. It does not use both.

You can see this by going to task manager: network while running the speed test

only one network will be in use

i ment to right NO performance boost. as i stated in my first post 

i ment to right NO performance boost. as i stated in my first post 

oh

Spoiler

The most common reason to have multiple ethernet ports is to eliminate single point of failures by creating a redundant connection. Though bare in mind that most home routers/switches will not support doing this. One other use that might be more useful for you is if you have a NAS or other storage device that also have multiple network ports... then you can add a dedicated line to that device from your computer. That way accessing data on that will not affect your other network traffic.

Managed Switches and Link Aggregation can combine ports into "one pipe" but again you will not really see any benefits in a home networking situation. (your OS or drivers for the card also need to support Link aggregation to accomplish this.)

even bundling the links into one aggregated port would not increase the speed in this use case.

both redundant ports and things like ether-channels were designed to give either redundancy or a speed increase in a switching environment, not on a home/server machine.  

In theory you could decrease your network latency by a teeny bit by switching to SFP network connections, rather than RJ45 -- SFP has lower network latency than RJ45. Your ISP is still the bottleneck for overall bandwidth, though.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

No it does not.

This means if one connection fails it will use the other, but it does not increase your internet speed becasue the ISP is limiting your connection. The amount of cables connecting your PC to your modem is not a bottleneck

Actually with the right NIC's and drivers you can do NIC teaming, as the name suggests the NIC's team up your PC sees it as one connection but its actually 2 or more physical, Although I know that most computers don't have this function, he said the card came from a server, So it may, with the right drivers, have this function. Im not trying to say your wrong. Im just trying to give you more knowledge, Obviously you are correct about the cable from the computer to the router not being a bottle neck :) 

Actually with the right NIC's and drivers you can do NIC teaming, as the name suggests the NIC's team up your PC sees it as one connection but its actually 2 or more physical, Although I know that most computers don't have this function, he said the card came from a server, So it may, with the right drivers, have this function. Im not trying to say your wrong. Im just trying to give you more knowledge, Obviously you are correct about the cable from the computer to the router not being a bottle neck :)

yes I know its possible, but even if he did do it it would not give ANY speed improvement at all because his internet speed is not over 1Gbps

Spoiler

yes I know its possible, but even if he did do it it would not give ANY speed improvement at all because his internet speed is not over 1Gbps

Yes and I realize that as I mention in the post :)