Overclocking I5 2550k....

So basically i have an i5 2550k and a NH-D14 cooler and i want to find out how to overclock it so where can i view my cpu temps and what software is used to overclock it. Also this is my motherboard http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4015#ov if it matters. i have no previous experience in over clocking so any advice is welcome and if anyone can link me a good guide that would be great too.

My specs:Fractal Define R4, i5 2550k, Asus GTX 560ti 2GB, Samsung 840 pro 120GB SSD, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM ,Seagate Barracuda 2TB, Corsair 600w PSU

Le internet is full of complete tutorials made by very experienced overclockers/reviewers.

Up that multiplier, keep the voltage under 1.35-1.37v  keep temps under 85o and expect 4.8-5.0 GHz from that awesome chip you have.

FX8320 4.2Ghz@1.280v& 4.5 Ghz Turbo@1.312v Thermalright HR-02/w TY-147 140MM+Arctic Cooling 120MMVRM cooled by AMD Stock Cooler Fan 70MM 0-7200 RPM PWM controlled via SpeedfanGigabyte GA990XA-UD3Gigabyte HD 7970 SOC@R9 280X120GiBee Kingston HyperX 3K2TB Toshiba DT01ACA2001TB WD GreenZalman Z11+Enermax 140MM TB Apollish RED+2X Deepcool 120MM and stock fans running @5VSingle Channel Patriot 8GB (1333MHZ)+Dual Channel 4GB&2GB Kingston NANO Gaming(1600MHZ CL9)=14GB 1,600 Jigahurtz 10-10-9-29 CR1@1.28VSirtec High Power 500WASUS Xonar DG, Logitech F510Sony MDR-XD200Edifier X220 + Edifier 3200A4Tech XL-747H 3600dpiA4Tech X7-200MPdecent membrane keyboardPhilips 236V3LSB 23" 1080p@71Hz .

Sorry for my English....

turn the vcore to auto,and keep the clocks the same.

use something like HWinfo (sensors only mode) to view the cpu vcore during a stress test like P95.

then go into the bios and change the vcore to manual and change it to the average value that the vcore was at when set to manual during prime95.

change the turbo value for all of the cores to whatever you want the overclocked frequency to be. (for 4.5ghz change it to 45)

test the overclock with prime95 for 4+ hours,if it's stable try lowering the vcore as far as it will go without compromising stability.

if not raise the vcore by one notch.

make sure to monitor the temps,ideally it shouldn't go above 75C during P95 but it should be fine until 85-90C.

if you have issues with Vdroop,vcore isn't at what it should be,ry messing with the LLC setting in the bios.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

Overclocking is done in the BOIS. So when your computer is booting up it will ask you to press a button to enter the BOIS. There you can change your frequency multiplier and CPU voltages.Then you can save and boot up can then run test, such as Prime 95, to check stability. Over you can follow the LLT overclocking guide I think it is similar to what you have to change. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CHs5_TdpXE

Quote me to get a reply!

There you go Sir. That's how you OC your chip ;)

I suggest HWMonitor to read temps

CPU-Z to read clockspeed and Volts

Intel Burn Test for a quick stability test and about 24h of Prime 95 for an extended stability test once you are happy about your OC / Temps.

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Wow thanks a lot guys i'll get started soon and let you know how everything goes.

My specs:Fractal Define R4, i5 2550k, Asus GTX 560ti 2GB, Samsung 840 pro 120GB SSD, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM ,Seagate Barracuda 2TB, Corsair 600w PSU