Facebook users can be profiled with just their likes

jos

They created a computer program that sifted through the Facebook likes of over 85,000 users to see if a person's preferences could rat out their true persona.The researchers made the subjects take a MyPersonality survey to create a baseline, then asked friends and relatives to judge them with a similar survey. The results were surprising -- the computer model could judge someone better than a friend or roommate by analyzing just 70 likes, and do better than a parent or sibling with 150 likes. The average number of likes per user in the study was 227, enough for the computer to evaluate someone better than almost anyone, with one exception: their spouses.

Source :http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2015/01/12/facebook-may-know-you-better-than-your-friends-and-family-study-finds/

I figured as much.  That's why I only use Facebook to PM people now.

INTEL i7 4790K | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X GAMING 5 | A-DATA 16GB | PCS+ R9 290 | SAMSUNG 840 EVO | MOMENTUS XT BARRACUDA |  FRACTAL DESIGN R4

Now imagine how powerful that would be if it also included all the data harvested by Facebook's tracking. Every site you visit which has a "share on Facebook" button reports it back to Facebook, so that they know that you visited that website.

If it can tell who you are so accurately from just your likes, combining your likes and websites visited would make a scarily detailed profile on you.

This is cool and scary, I want to know what my profile is according to FB

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

it's a bit stupid that this is even news of course using the things I say I like can be used to profile me.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

This is cool and scary, I want to know what my profile is according to FB

would be nice to have this tool open to everyone

Kind of unsurprising.

I don't have a Facebook account, but now I'm wondering how much could be deduced from this forum account.

Probably a lot. I should lie about myself more.

I've been very honest and open about everything up until now.

I guess it can be said about anything online though.  Once you post it, it's already been archived.  There's no taking it back.

INTEL i7 4790K | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X GAMING 5 | A-DATA 16GB | PCS+ R9 290 | SAMSUNG 840 EVO | MOMENTUS XT BARRACUDA |  FRACTAL DESIGN R4

Geeze, you click 'like' on ONE post about dendrophilia and Facebook decides to classify you as creepy... One time!

Easy solution : start "liking" stuff you don't like.  Be creative.  ;)

Wow that would really fuck there plan.

Is this news to anyone? I hate Facebook with a passion and won't use anything that has to do with Zuckerberg and his lackies. But to be fair, anything you do on the internet can be analized.

I don't really play many games for gameplay anymore honestly. I play most games just for the graphics.

has anybody actually tried this?

Apparently I don't have enough likes for it to work.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

Be funny what my likes say about me. Probably that I only like computer hardware or something since I really only like things when I have to for contests.