Ultra Thin Desk PC w/ PSU Question

Hey guys!

This is my first post so hope it goes well. I have been planning on building a desk pc. But not just any, I want something that is sleek and modern. Because all too many desk PC's end up builky and ugly. My plan is to have the edge of the desk be only 1" then have the core of the desk be 2" all while being fully liquid cooled. It is fairly simple to have all the parts laid down be under 2" tall EXCEPT of course the PSU. So what I am looking at is server ATX power supplies. Specifically the one I am looking at is 1.6" high which would be perfect.

It is the FSP Group 500W Server power supply 1U size for rack mount Case (FSP500-80BU)

http://www.amazon.com/FSP-Group-Server-supply-FSP500-80BU/dp/B004SO06V2/ref=sr_1_20?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1421341105&sr=1-20&keywords=server+power+supply+atx

My main question: The graphics card I am looking at is a 4gb 8+6 pin GTX 970. It says it is a low power consumption GPU, but I haven't found what it pulls at max load. If 500W is not enough to power that along with the pump and CPU and fans, then I will switch to a 760 Ti (which I'm thinking I might have to do). This power supply only has a 6 pin for auxiliary, but you can get a dual molex to 8 pin correct? Also is it okay to use a server power supply like that if I'd want to do some gaming as well? I've never heard anyone doing that so I wanted to make sure it would work with no problems for a desktop.

Here are my sketchup mockups of the desk as well.

Please let me know what you think! Also I appreciate any advice. This will be my 2nd build, but my first water cooled build. All parts in the mockup are parts I found online and drawn to scale within 1mm. Fans are 12mm and ultra thin rad will is how those parts will fit. For those that haven't seen wall mount PC's the GPU would be using a PCIe ribbon extender. The res and pump are 5.25" bay size. The pump is high powered for all the right angle fittings. And a tricky part is going to be the right angle fittings on the rad since they are going to have to be the bitfenix ultra low profiles.

desk-pc-mockup-front.png

desk-pc-mockup-angle.png

desk-pc-mockup-closeup.png

Thanks! Look forward to hearing what you guys think.

-Z

Usually i would say the 500w would be fine but im not familiar with watercooling or pump wattage so im going to skip that. yes u can get a molex to 8 pin im pretty sure it will use 2 molex plugs also that psu is going to be really loud u might want to rethink that :S have u looked at some of silverstones sfx psus? not sure if they will be slim enough though :S The power supply is made to handle alot more than a gaming load 24/7 as long as the wattage is fine. your plans look good i hope you post the finished thing on here id love to see it.

Agreed. 500W should be plenty, as long as the PSU has all the required power connectors. The 970 is a 145W TDP card btw.

Possibly, mount the psu behind the desk, by making the top of the desk 3" or so longer than the frame. Now mount a sfx psu there and buy/make extension cables to power things.

You can also mount things like drives back there to make the window area super clean and only show the good looking parts.

The PSU only has 24 pin,  1x8 pin for mobo, 1x6 pin for auxiliary, 7xmolex, 1x4pin fan header. I'm thinking I could use a 2xmolex to 1x8pin. I can use a molex to sata for the SSD right? 

The PSU only has 24 pin,  1x8 pin for mobo, 1x6 pin for auxiliary, 7xmolex, 1x4pin fan header. I'm thinking I could use a 2xmolex to 1x8pin. I can use a molex to sata for the SSD right? 

You can but look at my post. :)