About "Broadwell" that people keep recommending...

D2ultima

Hi. Only Ultra Low Voltage aka ULV aka ix-xxxxU chips (like i5-5500U) are out. Performance chips like an i5-4210H or an i7-4710HQ or an i7-4910MQ are not out yet. They will not be out anytime soon. They MIGHT come out later this year. There is no release date; no ETA. There haven't even been instances where intel is showing it off or bragging about it.

So please stop recommending people to just "get broadwell" because it's out.

Is the user looking for thin/light notebooks or notebooks with insane battery life? Then sure. Have him look for one.

Is the user looking for any kind of performance in their notebook, for gaming or video editing or anything similar? THIS CHIP IS NOT OUT YET. HASWELL IS YOUR ONLY OPTION.

This has been a public service announcement by somebody who really hates having to remind everyone about the above information.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

I mean, DUH.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

lol really it may come out this year? i thought skylake was also coming out this year.

Pretty obvious. Haven't seen anyone saying that broadwell high performance (and/or desktop) CPUs have been released.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

Yeah, well people keep recommending them.

OP - "Hey, I'm looking for a new laptop for school and stuff, what should I get?"
2-3 posters - "Well broadwell just came out so look for one of those!"

NO

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

IMO, only the ULV ones are worth getting, everything else either underperforms (y series) or use a lot more power while only giving you slightly more performance. Outside of some extreme cases, you don't need 3 cores at 3.3 or whatever frequency they run at. I have an i5 4200u and that ran almost as fast as an overclocked i5 750(3.5-4ghz). 

IMO, only the ULV ones are worth getting, everything else either underperforms (y series) or use a lot more power while only giving you slightly more performance. Outside of some extreme cases, you don't need 3 cores at 3.3 or whatever frequency they run at. I have an i5 4200u and that ran almost as fast as an overclocked i5 750(3.5-4ghz). 

An i5-750 is incredibly weak these days, though. A jump from an i5-750 to an i5-4690K (stock) is sometimes as high as 50% boost. The reason it performs almost as fast is because haswell's IPC is that much faster than Lynnfield. For someone who wants a high performance notebook, ULV are out of the question. My 4800MQ does about as well as a 4770, and I very much need the power.

You wouldn't buy a brand new gaming PC right now and put an i5-750 in it would ya?

Either way, if someone wants a machine like that, that's fine. But anybody who needs some solid performance still has to use haswell.

For someone who wants a high performance notebook, ULV are out of the question. 

My i5-4300U ultrabook outperforms my Phenom X6 in single-threaded performance. In anything lightly threaded, including many games aside from very recent AAA titles, a ULV Haswell i5 will outperform a desktop AMD FX.

"Rawr XD"

They MIGHT come out later this year. There is no release date; no ETA. 

it was confirmed Q4 2014 m8

"Rawr XD"

My i5-4300U ultrabook outperforms my Phenom X6 in single-threaded performance. In anything lightly threaded, including many games aside from very recent AAA titles, a ULV Haswell i5 will outperform a desktop AMD FX.

Sure. Single threaded. In a game that uses a quadcore to great effect, that's not the case. In a program that'll devour all the CPU power of your system for rendering etc, that's not the case. 

Sure. Single threaded. In a game that uses a quadcore to great effect, that's not the case. In a program that'll devour all the CPU power of your system for rendering etc, that's not the case. 

It's the same performance level as a Sandy Bridge i3 while using 15 watts. What else is there to ask for, it's not like you're going to be able to shove a 4810MQ into a Surface. I do do video editing on mine and although it's not as great as my Phenom it's still livable. 

"Rawr XD"

An i5-750 is incredibly weak these days, though. A jump from an i5-750 to an i5-4690K (stock) is sometimes as high as 50% boost. The reason it performs almost as fast is because haswell's IPC is that much faster than Lynnfield. For someone who wants a high performance notebook, ULV are out of the question. My 4800MQ does about as well as a 4770, and I very much need the power.

You wouldn't buy a brand new gaming PC right now and put an i5-750 in it would ya?

Either way, if someone wants a machine like that, that's fine. But anybody who needs some solid performance still has to use haswell.

The 750 is in the third box over there which represents cpu that have "good enough" performance. An overclocked 750 should place it in the second box where it's fast enough for most games.

ULV's aren't slow at all- we can compare the i7 4500U, something that you can find in a laptop for around $600 with a discrete gpu. Comparing the 4500U to the 4800MQ, single core performance isn't that far off- 3ghz vs 3.7ghz, which is about 20% faster in favor of the quad core, which makes the ulv fine for general tasks and some games. If I wanted more performance, I'll just get a desktop; I don't want a laptop that is heavier than a textbook and outputs a ton of heat (disregarding a lot of the ultra thin gaming laptops because you have to spend a lot more to get those form factor). 

The 750 is in the third box over there which represents cpu that have "good enough" performance. An overclocked 750 should place it in the second box where it's fast enough for most games.

ULV's aren't slow at all- we can compare the i7 4500U, something that you can find in a laptop for around $600 with a discrete gpu. Comparing the 4500U to the 4800MQ, single core performance isn't that far off- 3ghz vs 3.7ghz, which is about 20% faster in favor of the quad core, which makes the ulv fine for general tasks and some games. If I wanted more performance, I'll just get a desktop; I don't want a laptop that is heavier than a textbook and outputs a ton of heat (disregarding a lot of the ultra thin gaming laptops because you have to spend a lot more to get those form factor).

I'm not saying it's slow. I'm not saying it's bad. I'm saying if someone wants high performance in a laptop, they're not looking for ULV.

See that bolded text? That's YOU. Not me. Not somebody else who needs that level of performance on the go. Not someone who moves around a lot. Those people are not you. They're similar to me. If a ULV won't cut it when you need more performance, then it shouldn't cut it for others who want it too. High end laptops exist for a reason. You may not be that reason, and that's perfectly fine, however the solution isn't instantly "get a desktop for power".

It's the same performance level as a Sandy Bridge i3 while using 15 watts. What else is there to ask for, it's not like you're going to be able to shove a 4810MQ into a Surface. I do do video editing on mine and although it's not as great as my Phenom it's still livable. 

Why would you buy a Surface to do the workload a 4810MQ would be apt for? I'm saying when people are asking for high performance gaming/rendering/etc laptops and people recommend ULVs, that's not the right recommendation.

I'm not saying it's slow. I'm not saying it's bad. I'm saying if someone wants high performance in a laptop, they're not looking for ULV.

See that bolded text? That's YOU. Not me. Not somebody else who needs that level of performance on the go. Not someone who moves around a lot. Those people are not you. They're similar to me. If a ULV won't cut it when you need more performance, then it shouldn't cut it for others who want it too. High end laptops exist for a reason. You may not be that reason, and that's perfectly fine, however the solution isn't instantly "get a desktop for power".

What I'm saying is that a ULV gets you 80% of the performance sans the 2 extra cores so unless you're playing crysis 3 or bf4 or doing content creation, a ULV is a great choice and a solid performer. But, you're right, what I want isn't what everyone else wants. But I'm pretty sure Intel sells more ULVs than any other mobile processors because the two important metric to shop is price and battery life.

What I'm saying is that a ULV gets you 80% of the performance sans the 2 extra cores so unless you're playing crysis 3 or bf4 or doing content creation, a ULV is a great choice and a solid performer. But, you're right, what I want isn't what everyone else wants. But I'm pretty sure Intel sells more ULVs than any other mobile processors because the two important metric to shop is price and battery life.

For most users, thin and light is the rampant stuff. It's spilling over into high end parts where integrated is becoming the only choice, as socketed chips lack the ability to use lower profile coolers (automatically add bulk). It's actually a really sad day. The funny thing is I believe ULV aren't integrated, so in a sense they're the most advanced chips. *sigh*

As much as I love and use laptops like what I've got, I believe I'm going to be getting a desktop next time I need a new system if this thin/light/integrated hardware rush isn't done with by then. I don't get why the really high end parts have to suffer.

For most users, thin and light is the rampant stuff. It's spilling over into high end parts where integrated is becoming the only choice, as socketed chips lack the ability to use lower profile coolers (automatically add bulk). It's actually a really sad day. The funny thing is I believe ULV aren't integrated, so in a sense they're the most advanced chips. *sigh*

As much as I love and use laptops like what I've got, I believe I'm going to be getting a desktop next time I need a new system if this thin/light/integrated hardware rush isn't done with by then. I don't get why the really high end parts have to suffer.

Well, Intel is trying to stuff everything into 1 chip which helps with the thin and lightness.

When I bought my Dell Latitude e7440 last year, I was amazed at how thin and light it was. A year later, I feel like it's too big and heavy; I wish I had gotten a Macbook Air mainly for the better battery life, trackpad, and Iris graphics. The additional loss in weight and thinness is also nice. 

Well, Intel is trying to stuff everything into 1 chip which helps with the thin and lightness.

When I bought my Dell Latitude e7440 last year, I was amazed at how thin and light it was. A year later, I feel like it's too big and heavy; I wish I had gotten a Macbook Air mainly for the better battery life, trackpad, and Iris graphics. The additional loss in weight and thinness is also nice. 

That's not what I mean. Like... MQ chips are not being sold anymore, unless you get an older model machine. HQ chips are all you find in the high performance stuff. HQ is the soldered stuff. The problem with being soldered is not only that it's soldered, but that the CPUs are TDP limited and even though they're capable of overclocking, they don't hold their higher clocks very well no matter how much power/amperage/etc allowances you make.