Security Solutions

Craftable124

I have a "man cave" in progress, and I want some security for it.

For background, me and two friends are working on a building in my yard, which was previously simply a large storage place, and improving on it a lot. We've got insulation for it, we dug a trench to run an electrical line, and I'm going to be putting my TV and Wii U out there when we get the heater and finish installing insulation.

So now, we're looking for a fairly affordable security solution. We want something with no subscription-type stuff, due to us not having regular incomes. (not old enough for "real" jobs)

We have an ethernet cable ran out there, so I was thinking an IP camera, and one that can do an alarm. I remember linus reviewing a CCTV camera receiver with motion alarm, do IP cameras exist with such a feature?

I'd like to avoid CCTV if possible to avoid digging another trench.

Maybe an IP camera isn't the solution? We just need a way to know if someones breaking in so we (probably me) can go do something about it.

A man of charm with strange quarks. 

Ok as a urban explorer I know quite a bit about security. Here are the main things that will deter a would be thief. 

Trellis on top of fencing which will collapse upon the weight of someone climbing over it. 

A visible alarm system from a well known brand (preferably a brand that does not sell fake alarms)

A CCTV camera covering easy points of access such as windows and doors, you can even buy kits that offer a live feed app.(Preferably tinted dome cameras as they are harder for a trespasser to work around and create the sense of 180 degree view)

Something like this: http://www.swann.com/uk/swdvk-434502f

Will come with the SWANN live feed app so you can monitor activity to your hearts content.

Any IP camera and Blue Iris software (~$50, one time purchase) will work, but its not going to stop someone from breaking in if that is your concern.

I've tried 3-4 different Foscam models over the years, every one of them has been a complete POS and I'd avoid them. The Logitech Alert Outdoor was shockingly good for the money when I bought it in ~2011, but I'd assume at this point in time there is better for your dollar. I've heard a lot of good things about Hikvision cameras.

Our shop was repeatedly getting broken into, the only good putting up cameras did was knowing exactly what they tried to steal. We ended up putting up a lot of security lights, the ones on the building were always on, and the ones about 50 foot away were motion detection. No one has attempted to break in since.

Any IP camera and Blue Iris software (~$50, one time purchase) will work, but its not going to stop someone from breaking in if that is your concern.

I've tried 3-4 different Foscam models over the years, every one of them has been a complete POS and I'd avoid them. The Logitech Alert Outdoor was shockingly good for the money when I bought it in ~2011, but I'd assume at this point in time there is better for your dollar. I've heard a lot of good things about Hikvision cameras.

Our shop was repeatedly getting broken into, the only good putting up cameras did was knowing exactly what they tried to steal. We ended up putting up a lot of security lights, the ones on the building were always on, and the ones about 50 foot away were motion detection. No one has attempted to break in since.

See the thing is I remember seeing a camera system that doubled as motion sensors that set off an alarm. That would be great but I'd rather the alarm be in the house so I can hear it, and I don't want to dig to run CCTV cameras from the house.

A man of charm with strange quarks. 

See the thing is I remember seeing a camera system that doubled as motion sensors that set off an alarm. That would be great but I'd rather the alarm be in the house so I can hear it, and I don't want to dig to run CCTV cameras from the house.

Such a thing likely exists if you looked hard enough, but I've never seen one personally like that. The common way is to use software for motion detection, which is where the Blue Iris comes into play. You run Blue Iris on a computer, tell it where the motion zones are, and can program an output to play a alarm mp3 file or something when motion is detected. The system can also send emails, IMs, or texts (texts cost extra IIRC).

Likely, one of two things will end up happening after spending ~$300 on this system.

1. Someone breaks in during the middle of the night, you sleep thru the alarm and they get away.

2. Your parents get fed up with the alarm going off all the time, and tell you to turn it off... because no matter what there are going to be LOTS of false positives.