Can You Use a Li-Ion Battery in a Car Instead of Lead Acid?

RelentlessAF

Hey guys so I have a relatively old car, which makes me assume this is a no to begin with but I know very little about cars, and I was wondering if you could replace a standard Lead Acid battery with a Lithium one. Mainly because I live in Wisconsin and its cold as balls here and my car is a sorta unreliable in the cold. The initial solution is probably a lead battery with more cold cranking amps but I was also wondering about Lithium since it works in colder conditions much better.

Am I way off here? Probably, since they are mainly for hybrid and electric cars but yeah. Car guys, Assemble!

You could maybe. You can definitely use capacitors. 

Li-Ion does not like cold either afaik.

The best solution is taking your battery out and carrying it home, that's what I do when we have -25C here.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

You could maybe. You can definitely use capacitors.

-snip-

Li-Ion does not like cold either afaik.

oooo cool and that's interesting I've heard they work better in the cold but wasn't completely sure.

Hey guys so I have a relatively old car, which makes me assume this is a no to begin with but I know very little about cars, and I was wondering if you could replace a standard Lead Acid battery with a Lithium one. Mainly because I live in Wisconsin and its cold as balls here and my car is a sorta unreliable in the cold. The initial solution is probably a lead battery with more cold cranking amps but I was also wondering about Lithium since it works in colder conditions much better.

Am I way off here? Probably, since they are mainly for hybrid and electric cars but yeah. Car guys, Assemble!

Yes. I do on one of my motorcycles. They are much more expensive and often require a constant amperage charger for manually charging, but your alternator will work just fine.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

They are too expensive for your need. Better solution is to get better quality Lead Acid one.

Yes. I do on one of my motorcycles. They are much more expensive and often require a constant amperage charger for manually charging, but your alternator will work just fine.

Oh cool good to know, thanks for the information :D

They are too expensive for your need. Better solution is to get better quality Lead Acid one.

I figured that would be the case. Ive heard a lot of cold cranking amps also isn't that good. Any information on what makes a great quality Lead acid battery?

I figured that would be the case. Ive heard a lot of cold cranking amps also isn't that good. Any information on what makes a great quality Lead acid battery?

Gell Cells for the win. Optima makes some of the best. I use these in both of my cars, have for a long time.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

I cant tell you that because I dont live in US :(

There are "standard sized" Lithium batteries for cars, but they are very expensive since they are meant for racing. I'm not sure how well they would work in cold weather, but if they are anything like phone batteries they won't work too good when cold. I personally would try to rig 2 batteries in parallel or find a battery with a lot of Cold Crank Amps, because spending $300+ on a battery is just too much. You can see some of them here: http://www.jegs.com/p/Lithium-Pros/Lithium-Pros-12-Volt-Lithium-Batteries/1770167/10002/-1

Contact some mechanics and ask if it would pass inspection with a Lithium battery. If it would, I don't see why not.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking