Cant boot into my ssd

Go to solution Solved by Laputacake,

Does it work perfectly fine? And is it somewhat simple to do? I don't wanna mess with things that might make it worse or cause me problems in the future

Yeah, Yeah, just install easybcd and go to the option https://neosmart.net/wiki/easybcd/basics/changing-the-boot-partition/ . You also need to make sure you're SSDs partition is active

Hello so 2 days ago i decided to get a new ssd since my really old hard drive was going way to slow for me. so i installed windows 7 64 bit professional on the ssd thru my usb and everything worked and since i still had my old hard drive it made a dual boot option before loading which i didn't care for it since i only kept it so i can transfer files and drivers. so now my new hard drive has come and i set it up to be a storage and games drive and everything went fine there too. my problem now is that once i finished transferring all the stuff i wanted over from my old drive i decided to remove it and use my pc but it wont boot anymore my bios recognizes the ssd as a boot able device but whenever i try to boot from it it just loads for 5 seconds on a black screen with the grey loading thing in the corner then just goes to uefi bios. what i found out is that for some reason i cant boot unless i have my old hard drive installed. i don't know how to fix it. i checked online and my only option was to re install windows 7 on the ssd with no other drives connected to it which i want to avoid since i downloaded a lot of things in the past 3 days and don't want to go thru all that again. I also tried to do the repair feature from my windows 7 usb drive and that doesnt show my ssd or any of the hard drives as having it so it tells me to find the driver for my hard drives for it to work but none of them came with drivers since they just automatically worked so it didn't help me

My system specs are: Mobo - Asus 787 pro, Graphics card - Evga 750ti tfw (going to get upgraded too), CPU - i7 4770k, PSU - corsair rm 750w, Ram - corsair vengence 16gb 8x2, SSD - Samsung 850 pro 256gb(new) , Hard Drive - WD Black 2tb(new), Hard drive - Hitachi Deskstar 500gb (Old)

Any type of help would be appreciated and if there isnt much of an option i guess i will just re install windows 7

Thanks for any feedback and i wont be able to reply quick since i am heading off to work now.

@Ritsukashy Please follow your posts by using the 'follow' button at the top of the page.

Sadly, I don't know how to help you at this stage...

Sig under construction.

Unfortunately if you installed on yoru SSD while the HDD was in with a dualboot option, the bootloader was never installed onto your SSD, meaning that while the BIOS can try to boot to your SSD, there's nothing for it to boot to as such. You could try using the windows repair from the installer, otherwise you are gonna have to reinstall windows without any other drives in the sytem.

Cartman - AMD Phenom II x6 1055T 3.1Ghz - 10GB Ram (Mwahahah) - 256GB Crucial MX100 Boot - 2TB WD Red - Gainward GTX 770 - Zalman Insanely Loud CNPS14X - Corsair 230T Orange

Stan - Intel Pentium G3320 - 8GB Ram - 128GB Intel 520 - Raid 1 6TB WD Reds - Bit Fenix Prodigy

Kenny - HP 14 Ultrabook (No name apperently) i3 4130 - 128GB Intel 520

oh almost forgot about that and no worries and thanks imma try to check up while on breaks and lunch to reply if anyone wants to ask further questions about what happend

Unfortunately if you installed on yoru SSD while the HDD was in with a dualboot option, the bootloader was never installed onto your SSD, meaning that while the BIOS can try to boot to your SSD, there's nothing for it to boot to as such. You could try using the windows repair from the installer, otherwise you are gonna have to reinstall windows without any other drives in the sytem.

well it never asked for a dual boot option i just installed normally by restarting and loading from the install usb and installed to drive when asked. the dual boot otion made itself after the first restart by the bios. also is there no way to transfer the boot from the old hard drive to the new one?

You could try booting with just the SSD and the windows install from USB, and clicking repair, and hopefully that'll fix it, otherwise, a bit stumped. You could try using GRUB but absolutely no idea how you'd do that.

Cartman - AMD Phenom II x6 1055T 3.1Ghz - 10GB Ram (Mwahahah) - 256GB Crucial MX100 Boot - 2TB WD Red - Gainward GTX 770 - Zalman Insanely Loud CNPS14X - Corsair 230T Orange

Stan - Intel Pentium G3320 - 8GB Ram - 128GB Intel 520 - Raid 1 6TB WD Reds - Bit Fenix Prodigy

I tried with nothing else installed it doesn't find the drive it jus asks for a driver in order to find which the ssd didn't come with one just a software cd for Samsung stuff

Sorry I'm not sure how to directly reply to you on mobile

Hmmm so it can't detect the SSD at all during the install? You might need to download the drivers for your motherboard M.2 slot, and put them on the USB stick too.

No if I install the os it detects any drive I have installed but if I try to just repair it asked for drivers for them so I'm saying I can't repair that's why I was wondering if there is a way to travel the boot files from my old hard drive to my ssd so it can work. I can reinstall Windows 7 but I'm trying to avoid that since I'm going to need to re download alot of updates and change all my settings for programs and stuff again which I want to avoid

No if I install the os it detects any drive I have installed but if I try to just repair it asked for drivers for them so I'm saying I can't repair that's why I was wondering if there is a way to travel the boot files from my old hard drive to my ssd so it can work. I can reinstall Windows 7 but I'm trying to avoid that since I'm going to need to re download alot of updates and change all my settings for programs and stuff again which I want to avoid

If you can boot into windows use easybcd to make the SSD bootable

Steve

If you can boot into windows use easybcd to make the SSD bootable

Does it work perfectly fine? And is it somewhat simple to do? I don't wanna mess with things that might make it worse or cause me problems in the future

Yeah, Yeah, just install easybcd and go to the option https://neosmart.net/wiki/easybcd/basics/changing-the-boot-partition/ . You also need to make sure you're SSDs partition is active

Steve

Hmm sounds good when I get home I'll try that and see how that works hopefully everything goes perfectly fine.

Fingers crossed

Steve

Fingers crossed

OMG Thank You :D It worked perfectly and it was super simple no problems at all you saved me 24 hours of non stop downloading and setting changes (and i mean full on download where nothing else worked cause maxed out)

OMG Thank You :D It worked perfectly and it was super simple no problems at all you saved me 24 hours of non stop downloading and setting changes (and i mean full on download where nothing else worked cause maxed out)

Thats good.

Steve