new prime(architecture/people)

Bsmith

hello guys,

Recently I heard that we are going to Prague with school this year for a few days.

Since im planning to take my DSLR with me for photography i'm looking for a nice prime which I am able to use for architecture and portrait style pictures, my thought is that I need to be within the 30mm-55mm length of focal length although I'm not pretty sure.

anybody here has recommendations of lenses or a certain focal length to use?

old news, that stuff there is useless, anyway im looking for a nice prime, roughly 1000-1500 euro's, canon mount preferd.

since i already got two primes which where quite cheap(and not much better then my superzoom with image quality) I'm looking for a bit better(and more expensive) kind of prime, simply said a red ring hopefully, although others are also welcome suggestions. 

the ones i got:

canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II

canon EF 40mm f/2.8  STM

I found two canon lenses which both suited my needs, I also found a tilt and shift lens with allows for control of depth, although I doubt this will be useful since I won't get much time for most of the pictures.

my thoughts so far(to get):

canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM

canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM

Canon TS-E 45mm f/2.8

I did't have time to find any reviews of these lenses yet since I'm still in class, but any advice so far would be welcome.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

SNIP

Are you using a full frame or APSC camera?

(or which camera are you using)

budget?

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I suggest getting the 24-70 f/2.8 II it's quite expensive but worth the money over a bunch of primes that you'll have to carry and change out all the time and you're going to get tired of doing so.

Are you using a full frame or APSC camera?

(or which camera are you using)

budget?

ASPC currently(1200D) but planning to get full frame later this year(if new releases are interesting)

budget is roughly 1000-1500 euro's

I suggest getting the 24-70 f/2.8 II it's quite expensive but worth the money over a bunch of primes that you'll have to carry and change out all the time and you're going to get tired of doing so.

yeah i know changing lenses is tiresome and quite the trouble, although i'm trying to step a bit out of direct shot and focus a bit more on selection afterwards, where a good prime is able to have the same sharpness(theoretical,if not more) as my superzoom(18(?)-200mm) has on a higher focal length. But i will have a look at your recommendation nonetheless, might make me chance my mind.

ASPC currently(1200D) but planning to get full frame later this year(if new releases are interesting)

budget is roughly 1000-1500 euro's

Honestly for that budget, and since its only for a school trip I would save up for a new camera

That said a decent FF lens will be usable on both this and the next camera (bear in mind APSC lenses cannot be used on FF cameras)

Since you already have a 50, I would suggest getting something wider (bear in mind your 40mm is actually a 64mm, and  your 50 is an 80mm)

A tilt-shift is completely unnecessary for 99.9999%, i barely even know any pros that use one 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

EF 50mm 1.8 II as sharp as a superzoom?:o

Are you sure that it isn't decentered? Or something similar?

EF 50mm 1.8 II as sharp as a superzoom? :o

Are you sure that it isn't decentered? Or something similar?

Superzooms have terrible sharpnes

Superzooms have terrible sharpnes

Mostly, not in general, but I know that so that's the reason why I am shocked.

Mostly, not in general, but I know that so that's the reason why I am shocked.

Mostly.. is not in general? what?

Yes superzooms will always have lower image quality, and primes will always be better

Mostly.. is not in general? what?

Excuse me I am not a native speaker.

Yes superzooms will always have lower image quality, and primes will always be better

Mostly...

Mostly...

Oh sorry :D

90%, there are some terrible primes though, but any decent prime will out shoot a siperzooms, 

There are decent zooms, like I love the Tamron 24-70 f2.8, but superzooms like 18-300mm always have very soft muddy details, I have never seen a good one

UPDATE:

while on the bus home i thought a solid back-up plan, wich is a go-pro(YEAH there!) for the close up/personal pictures(easy use in bus, can hold a bump or throw or fall)

and could be a handy back-up since it's not that big and fits in my pocket, but im still keeping up this topic/idea since I will need a good prime when for when i get my new DSLR wich might be full frame.

(the go-pro also saves me taking my DSLR to school for a few picture's/notes)

Mostly...

to put the pricing in perspective, my superzoom/telezoom/whaterver people call it, was 400-500 euro, lens it's self says "canon zoom lens EF-S 18-200mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS" (wich is the offical name branding) and now put that in perspective against a prime wich costs 1000-1500 euro, i must admit, i didnt find anycases of chromatic abderation, but i had to deal quite alot with blurred photo's or unsharp places when using it to it's full potential(at 400mm f/2.8) i doubt mine wins. at the same focal length.

Honestly for that budget, and since its only for a school trip I would save up for a new camera

That said a decent FF lens will be usable on both this and the next camera (bear in mind APSC lenses cannot be used on FF cameras)

Since you already have a 50, I would suggest getting something wider (bear in mind your 40mm is actually a 64mm, and  your 50 is an 80mm)

A tilt-shift is completely unnecessary for 99.9999%, i barely even know any pros that use one 

hmm i see i knew about compatability form the lenses(no worries there) and their crop factors(also no worries there)

altough for a school trip.... yeah shoot me(worries there, dont worry wallet you are safe, for now...)

but as you probarlly read on the top of this post... :rolleyes: i have proven myself unable to think properlly ahead in multiple ways.

SNIP

If you get a go pro, I suggest grabbing something like a pilotfly funnygo, if you can afford it, ITS AMAZING

If you get a go pro, I suggest grabbing something like a pilotfly funnygo, if you can afford it, ITS AMAZING

:blink: stabalizer/gyroscope+remote control holly sweetmother of cheesus, this is really awesome!

might I be able to afford it? guess so, with a smart tweak here and there, easily without noticing it on my savings and/or balance. :wub:

i put it on the wish list, if this was only DSLR compatible. :ph34r: nevermind, just saw the cost for proper mounting plates only....

:blink: stabalizer/gyroscope+remote control holly sweetmother of cheesus, this is really awesome!

might I be able to afford it? guess so, with a smart tweak here and there, easily without noticing it on my savings and/or balance. :wub:

i put it on the wish list, if this was only DSLR compatible. :ph34r: nevermind, just saw the cost for proper mounting plates only....

My friend has one, we use it all the time, its amazing as a walk around camera, just walking around a city filming 

for my DSLR I want to get a DJI spreadwings s800

My friend has one, we use it all the time, its amazing as a walk around camera, just walking around a city filming 

for my DSLR I want to get a DJI spreadwings s800

ohh nice a drone, would love such one to, altough im not sure if i would have the guts to mount my DSLR to it.

I personally can't decide between a tripod and monopod, both have their pro's and cons, wich makes it hard to choose and it's the only thing i can't find a excuse for to have both, unlike a DSLR and go-pro or something along that line, but i guess time will help me find more things and learn more.

might so with something hybrid, like the Coman DX-327C Carbon wich basicly is a monopod, with tripod legs at the bottom, altough i doubt the stability of this kind of things

ohh nice a drone, would love such one to, altough im not sure if i would have the guts to mount my DSLR to it.

I personally can't decide between a tripod and monopod, both have their pro's and cons, wich makes it hard to choose and it's the only thing i can't find a excuse for to have both, unlike a DSLR and go-pro or something along that line, but i guess time will help me find more things and learn more.

might so with something hybrid, like the Coman DX-327C Carbon wich basicly is a monopod, with tripod legs at the bottom, altough i doubt the stability of this kind of things

Manfotto do a tripod that has 3 legs at the bottom, its stable enough for a long exposure but its not a replacement for a tripod

monopods are great for run and gun, I would get a some good tripod legs, and the manfrotto tripod with legs, and then get 1 (or 2) mv502 heads

seconded

Thirded.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

to put the pricing in perspective, my superzoom/telezoom/whaterver people call it, was 400-500 euro, lens it's self says "canon zoom lens EF-S 18-200mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS" (wich is the offical name branding) and now put that in perspective against a prime wich costs 1000-1500 euro, i must admit, i didnt find anycases of chromatic abderation, but i had to deal quite alot with blurred photo's or unsharp places when using it to it's full potential(at 400mm f/2.8) i doubt mine wins. at the same focal length.

I don't get it, you said

since i already got two primes which where quite cheap(and not much better then my superzoom with image quality)

That's basically impossible since the EF 50mm 1.8 II is one of the best Canon lenses.

So I asked you if you are sure that your EF 50mm 1.8 II isn't decentered.

Er.

My PC: Intel Core i3-3220 | Alpenföhn Civetta | XFX HD 7770 1GB | ASRock B75-Pro3-M | Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB | beQuiet PurePower L8 430W | Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB | Kingston V200+ 60GB | NZXT Vulcan | Soundblaster Play Replaced by Notebook + eGPU

My Notebook:   Apple MacBook Pro Retina 13-inch, Late 2013; Core i5 4258U @2.4-2.9 Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB PCIe SSD, Iris Graphics 5100 + GTX 960 eGPU

My Phone: OnePlus One with CM12      Camera: Nikon D3200 + 50mm f/1.8G + Kit lenses

With that sort of money, you could buy a 6D and stick with your focal lengths and use the 40mm as a allrounder and the 50mm 1.8 for portraits

If you plan to upgrade the 50, get the Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM

My recommendation: Get a 6D or a 7D Mark II for that sort of money. The 1200D isn't all that great.

Or: Switch to Nikon, especially the D610 or the D7100. Those have better noise-performance and better detail. 

Or: Switch to Sony, Like the Sony a7 II to have full frame in a smaller, more compact body or the a6000 which is even smaller and has similar performance like the D7100 in terms of detail and sharpness and noise performance.

My PC: Intel Core i3-3220 | Alpenföhn Civetta | XFX HD 7770 1GB | ASRock B75-Pro3-M | Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB | beQuiet PurePower L8 430W | Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB | Kingston V200+ 60GB | NZXT Vulcan | Soundblaster Play Replaced by Notebook + eGPU

My Notebook:   Apple MacBook Pro Retina 13-inch, Late 2013; Core i5 4258U @2.4-2.9 Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB PCIe SSD, Iris Graphics 5100 + GTX 960 eGPU

My Phone: OnePlus One with CM12      Camera: Nikon D3200 + 50mm f/1.8G + Kit lenses

With that sort of money, you could buy a 6D and stick with your focal lengths and use the 40mm as a allrounder and the 50mm 1.8 for portraits

My recommendation: Get a 6D or a 7D Mark II for that sort of money. The 1200D isn't all that great.

Or: Switch to Nikon, especially the D610 or the D7100. Those have better noise-performance and better detail. 

Or: Switch to Sony, Like the Sony a7 II to have full frame in a smaller, more compact body or the a6000 which is even smaller and has similar performance like the D7100 in terms of detail and sharpness and noise performance.

Your right about the 1200D not being that great, I have it and frankly wish I would have just spent the extra for the t5i or the 7d M II

I don't get it, you said That's basically impossible since the EF 50mm 1.8 II is one of the best Canon lenses.

So I asked you if you are sure that your EF 50mm 1.8 II isn't decentered.

hmm really? that is interesting since i got it for like €70,- or something with a low light lens in mind(and this being recommanded by the internet and shopkeeper) made a good choice, could be i never botherd enough to try it out in the open.

yes i know, the 1200D is quite a pain in the ass for me, since i came form a 350D so it was mostly to make the technological leap(and since the 350D started to have small problems) and with my money at that moment it was the best idea in mind.

about switching first, i had that in mind already a few times, altough i need to keep the prices of metabones in mind if i want to keep my current lenses, but noise is not really a issue to me since i barely put my ISO above 100(with auto it's 1600 max, plenty)

But the thing is, since i'm planning a new DSLR anyway (diffrent time on my spending table thou, few months) I want to do it good, as in the best possible for my (personal) needs, like full frame, dual card's(1 normal, 1 RAW), enough focus points etc, wich gives me headage enough aleady since at the moment I have my sights on the (rumoured) 5D mk4, wich basicly is the 7D mk2 with full frame and more of that full frame goodness.

but i decided to go for a gopro for that trip and school, easier/safer then DSLR(still with me on the trip thou), so the lens is probarlly set back until after my new DSLR, since canon isn't really known for big game change with lenses.

The only thing that really keeps me form switching is that all the people at higher level of photography, pro's, for paris dakar, sportphotographers and all that stuff, if they need fast DSLR's or not, they nearly always use canon systems and/or lenses photographers that work outside controlled enviorments.

(theatre photographers prefer nikon due to colour's, wich i understand) and since i don't have a fixed idea/view of what to shoot switching brand isn't getting easier for me.

hmm really? that is interesting since i got it for like €70,- or something with a low light lens in mind(and this being recommanded by the internet and shopkeeper) made a good choice, could be i never botherd enough to try it out in the open.

yes i know, the 1200D is quite a pain in the ass for me, since i came form a 350D so it was mostly to make the technological leap(and since the 350D started to have small problems) and with my money at that moment it was the best idea in mind.

about switching first, i had that in mind already a few times, altough i need to keep the prices of metabones in mind if i want to keep my current lenses, but noise is not really a issue to me since i barely put my ISO above 100(with auto it's 1600 max, plenty)

But the thing is, since i'm planning a new DSLR anyway (diffrent time on my spending table thou, few months) I want to do it good, as in the best possible for my (personal) needs, like full frame, dual card's(1 normal, 1 RAW), enough focus points etc, wich gives me headage enough aleady since at the moment I have my sights on the (rumoured) 5D mk4, wich basicly is the 7D mk2 with full frame and more of that full frame goodness.

but i decided to go for a gopro for that trip and school, easier/safer then DSLR(still with me on the trip thou), so the lens is probarlly set back until after my new DSLR, since canon isn't really known for big game change with lenses.

The only thing that really keeps me form switching is that all the people at higher level of photography, pro's, for paris dakar, sportphotographers and all that stuff, if they need fast DSLR's or not, they nearly always use canon systems and/or lenses photographers that work outside controlled enviorments.

(theatre photographers prefer nikon due to colour's, wich i understand) and since i don't have a fixed idea/view of what to shoot switching brand isn't getting easier for me.

Well, since price isnt an issue then (You considering a 5D), You might want to look at the Sony a7R, which has no doubt the best image quality out there. Plus its small, so it gets less annoying when you travel or basically are outside. Also, that thing has Wifi, so if you wanna share photos quickly via social networking, you can do that. I admit, there also are some points against it, but for me personally, I can live with that. (Slower autofocus, EVF, Sony lenses)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wM_5nROeaw

This guy also points out some pros about those new mirrorless cameras from Sony. Some of his statements are false though :D

Your right about the 1200D not being that great, I have it and frankly wish I would have just spent the extra for the t5i or the 7d M II

Yeah If you choose canon, make sure they are the single-digit ones (7D, 6D, 5D, 1D). For everything else, there is Nikon and Sony, especially in the entry-level section. (D3300 is the best entry level camera)