will windows accept a motherboard change?

Jengo

I am very seriously thinking about changing from my fx 4300 to an i5 4690k and this means changing motherboard.
I currently have an Asus m5a97 r2.0 and I will be going over to a MSI z97 gaming 5.
For my OS I have windows 8.1 standard license (I still have the disks, key and everything.)
I have heard some OS´ won´t let you change motherboard, and I would like some help with what will happen in my case, will it work, or?

Thank you very much :)

It might ask for your windows key after you change your mobo. It does that to ensure windows is not being installed on another PC using the same key.

And since you are moving from AMD to Intel, please do a fresh install

It can cause driver conflicts everywhere which can lead to instability, slowness or outright crashes

I would do a completely fresh install to prevent any of this

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Well, just try it to see if it works at first. However if it doesn't try this guide [spoiler=]http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/106642-how-to-keep-your-current-windows-install-with-a-new-motherboard/

Otherwise do a fresh install

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

It might ask for your windows key after you change your mobo. It does that to ensure windows is not being installed on another PC using the same key.

And since you are moving from AMD to Intel, please do a fresh install

If I do a fresh install onto an SSD can I still use my current HDD for mass storage? In other words, can I connect my HDD with all my stuff on it and it still work?

If I do a fresh install onto an SSD can I still use my current HDD for mass storage? In other words, can I connect my HDD with all my stuff on it and it still work?

Yes, if your current setup is SSD=Boot drive and HDD=Storage drive, then you can format the SSD and still use the HDD.

A tip: When doing a fresh install unplug all the other drives in the system so you can not delete their data by mistake

Windows doesn't mind: I've done this.

The only time windows decides to hate a new motherboard is if the RAM generation changes (at least in my experience) which is not what you are doing.

Another way to do what you want without the risk is to make a system restore point on your HDD and when you do you fresh copy of windows on your SSD you can restore. (assuming your restore point will fit on the SSD)

Either use your HDD as your boot drive or do a clean install on your SSD. Those are the two easiest ways, and yes you can use your HDD as mass storage. Programs that require registry keys will not work on the HDD unless you install them in the new version of windows (your registry is on the C: drive).

Atom14 [Corsair] i5-4690K | Corsair H110i GT | MSI Z97S SLI Krait | 16 GB Team Group DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB X2 | EVGA SuperNOVA 850W 80+ Gold | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 980Ti

Corsair KXX RGB Keyboard Cover Mod Make your own using my templates!

Yes, if your current setup is SSD=Boot drive and HDD=Storage drive, then you can format the SSD and still use the HDD.

A tip: When doing a fresh install unplug all the other drives in the system so you can not delete their data by mistake

I do not have an SSD but if I am to do a fresh install I might as well get one ;)

Ok thanks, so I reconnecting my HDD after I have got windows up and running (of course when the pc is turned off) then I should be able to access all my old files. Should I just manually delete the windows files off the HDD?

I do not have an SSD but if I am to do a fresh install I might as well get one ;)

Ok thanks, so I reconnecting my HDD after I have got windows up and running (of course when the pc is turned off) then I should be able to access all my old files. Should I just manually delete the windows files off the HDD?

How many drives are currently in your system? And what do you mean manually delete windows files?

Windows doesn't mind: I've done this.

The only time windows decides to hate a new motherboard is if the RAM generation changes (at least in my experience) which is not what you are doing.

Another way to do what you want without the risk is to make a system restore point on your HDD and when you do you fresh copy of windows on your SSD you can restore. (assuming your restore point will fit on the SSD)

Either use your HDD as your boot drive or do a clean install on your SSD. Those are the two easiest ways, and yes you can use your HDD as mass storage. Programs that require registry keys will not work on the HDD unless you install them in the new version of windows (your registry is on the C: drive).

So I may loose a few programs if i use an SSD for my boot device. Can this be fixed my using the installer from each individual program to fix it, or should I just format my delete all the not working programs?

How many drives are currently in your system? And what do you mean manually delete windows files?

I have one WD blue 1TB.

All the files for windows are on my HDD at the moment, but they will not be needed when I get an SSD as my boot drive, so can I just get rid of them? :)

So I may loose a few programs if i use an SSD for my boot device. Can this be fixed my using the installer from each individual program to fix it, or should I just format my delete all the not working programs?

What I did was before I switched over to SSD was this:

1. boot into HDD refer to as--> "HDD windows"

2. Uninstall all the programs I really use commonly (chrome, photoshop, MS office, games, etc.)

3. Boot into SSD refer to as--> "SSD windows"

4. Re install all commonly used programs onto HDD while in "SSD windows"

5. Enjoy absolutely no problems :D

Atom14 [Corsair] i5-4690K | Corsair H110i GT | MSI Z97S SLI Krait | 16 GB Team Group DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB X2 | EVGA SuperNOVA 850W 80+ Gold | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 980Ti

I have one WD blue 1TB.

All the files for windows are on my HDD at the moment, but they will not be needed when I get an SSD as my boot drive, so can I just get rid of them? :)

Like by deleting system folders right now? No nononononnonoononono, that will make your PC not bootable and may corrupt your important files.

You will be able to use the HDD when you plug into into your PC with the SSD as the boot drive but you will see the windows sub folders on the HDD and it will be formatted in windows, so just back up the whole drive to a safe place (PLEASE!) then format it appropriately and move back your files and docs back on to the HDD

What I did was before I switched over to SSD was this:

1. boot into HDD refer to as--> "HDD windows"

2. Uninstall all the programs I really use commonly (chrome, photoshop, MS office, games, etc.)

3. Boot into SSD refer to as--> "SSD windows"

4. Re install all commonly used programs onto HDD while in "SSD windows"

5. Enjoy absolutely no problems :D

Okay thank you very much :D

Just one last question, how does this work with games.

Steam games, uplay games, and stand alone games.

Will they work, or should I use the same method and just back up my save games.

and again thank you, you are awesome!

Like by deleting system folders right now? No nononononnonoononono, that will make your PC not bootable and may corrupt your important files.

You will be able to use the HDD when you plug into into your PC with the SSD as the boot drive but you will see the windows sub folders on the HDD and it will be formatted in windows, so just back up the whole drive to a safe place (PLEASE!) then format it appropriately and move back your files and docs back on to the HDD

No, not delete them now, that would be suicide. I meant delete the files after I got the SSD working. I would like to avoid formatting my HDD since I have some files I don´t want to lose. Or have I misunderstood something? :)

Okay thank you very much :D

Just one last question, how does this work with games.

Steam games, uplay games, and stand alone games.

Will they work, or should I use the same method and just back up my save games.

and again thank you, you are awesome!

If you have fast internet i would suggest to just reinstall the steam games once you get into "SSD windows" (you can specify the path to the Steam Library to be on the HDD)

I did not personally try to salvage the games on the HDD because they were old and I was giving the computer to my little brother, who doesn't play battlefield or battlefront. He only likes minecraft.

If you don't have good internet I would search to see if you can use a similar method mentioned here.

No, not delete them now, that would be suicide. I meant delete the files after I got the SSD working. I would like to avoid formatting my HDD since I have some files I don´t want to lose. Or have I misunderstood something? :)

You can still use the HDD as it is when you plug it into to any other PC, so yeah it will be fine with that SSD. But I really do recommend backing up your HDD and then formatting it and moving over the files you need on that HDD from the backup

If you have fast internet i would suggest to just reinstall the steam games once you get into "SSD windows" (you can specify the path to the Steam Library to be on the HDD)

I did not personally try to salvage the games on the HDD because they were old and I was giving the computer to my little brother, who doesn't play battlefield or battlefront. He only likes minecraft.

If you don't have good internet I would search to see if you can use a similar method mentioned here.

I get 5mb/s download (40mbit)

Okay I shall try and do that, so should I just back up what I need to my external HDD and just format it?

Yeah I have 500gb of games so it might take a while...

You can still use the HDD as it is when you plug it into to any other PC, so yeah it will be fine with that SSD. But I really do recommend backing up your HDD and then formatting it and moving over the files you need on that HDD from the backup

That seems like a good Idea, I should be able to back most of it up onto my external HDD.

Thanks a lot for all the help :D

That seems like a good Idea, I should be able to back most of it up onto my external HDD.

Thanks a lot for all the help :D

Anytime :D

I get 5mb/s download (40mbit)

Okay I shall try and do that, so should I just back up what I need to my external HDD and just format it?

Yeah I have 500gb of games so it might take a while...

You could try. Or you could also just buy another HDD. They're super cheap.

You can always try to salvage data first and backup/format later.

You could try. Or you could also just buy another HDD. They're super cheap.

You can always try to salvage data first and backup/format later.

I already have a 1Tb external HDD so I shall just back up all the data I want to keep to my external HDD then format my HDD :)

Thanks for the help, it has been very useful :)

I already have a 1Tb external HDD so I shall just back up all the data I want to keep to my external HDD then format my HDD :)

Thanks for the help, it has been very useful :)

No problem! Good luck with your project! Backup twice, format once :P