Why no Displayport cables?

CoolaxGaming

Hello,

I am going ot be switching from DVI-D to displaport. I was looking for 1.2a with AMD freesync support, but cant seem to find it anywhere...

Where the heck is the DP 1.2a cable?

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

Pretty sure its just a normal dp 1.2 cable.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I think I understand what you are talking about. I recently upgraded my display and have been looking for display port cables. So far, I have found zero DP cables locally. Even NCIX didn't have them. Really confused as to why.. But yea it is a just a DP1.2 I believe.

As far as I know, DP 1.2a is just an update to how DP works, rather than being a new port or cable. Otherwise you'd have to buy a new GPU to get G-Sync to work. A normal DP 1.2 cable should work. 

The cable hasn't changed. It's all the same. The difference is in what protocol is used to send data over that connection.

The cable hasn't changed. It's all the same. The difference is in what protocol is used to send data over that connection.

So I can pick up any dp cable and it will support freesync?

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

So I can pick up any dp cable and it will support freesync?

Correct. It's not the cable that needs to change, it's the devices on each end. That's what is needed to support freesync.

Exactly. DisplayPort is like Ethernet. It doesn't send a signal continuously, it send the video information in packets, similarly how networking works, and USB, and thunderbolt (and that is also why you see these connectors supporting DisplayPort as well). If at home you switch from 10Mbps (say you had crap network from the dollar shop) to 100MBps or 100Mbps to 1Gbps (more likely), and you started with Cat 5e wires, then you don't need to change your cables. Cat 5e will do the job. Of course, at some point you'll need to as the cable will be limited, but so far that is not the case with DIsplayPort.