Custom PSU fan temperature concerns

Go to solution Solved by SuperPug,

You might not wanna put an airflow fan into a psu and go for something like the nf-p12 (static pressure) instead. As long as you connect / solder the fan to the same terminals that the old fan ran of there should be no problem because the psu will control the fan rpm to keep its temp under control.

The fact that your fan runs at 2700rpm might be an indication that something else is wrong..

Heres the fan curve from the tt website and it only goes to 1215..

fan-600.jpg

Salutations brethren!

I've decided that my psu fan is too damn LOUD!!! I own a Thermaltake TR-600PCAU which currently has a 2700rpm lawn mower in it.

I'd like to replace it with the Noctua NF-S12B which from my reading has quite low noise output of ~18dba at nice ~59cfm.

Now, everything tells me this would be perfectly fine and would cause no problems with heat; that the fan I plan on using would be more than adequate.

However, I can't help but worry a little because it's a relatively vital component that I wouldn't like to die.

Which is why I'm here, am I right in saying that this will solve my problem without any adverse effects?

Thanks heaps!

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

You might not wanna put an airflow fan into a psu and go for something like the nf-p12 (static pressure) instead. As long as you connect / solder the fan to the same terminals that the old fan ran of there should be no problem because the psu will control the fan rpm to keep its temp under control.

The fact that your fan runs at 2700rpm might be an indication that something else is wrong..

Heres the fan curve from the tt website and it only goes to 1215..

fan-600.jpg

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

For sure you want a pressure optimized fan as SuperPug mentioned, with that being said, unless you are running your PSU to it's maximum capacity you should be ok with no problems. I did a fan swap on a Corsair TX750 with a Bitfenix Sprectra Pro since there was apparently an issue with the load or temp sensor on the unit, but temps didn't go up more than a few degrees but my maximum load on it was around 500W.

_snip_

Thanks brosef, I will most definitely go for the nf-p12 then. Strange that it runs at full yeah, or maybe it's not at full but just plain loud. Given that fan curve graph it should be perfect for the job :)

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Easy done! Can't hear it any more :)

LyQEN3p.jpg